Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foam tire truers - What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Foam tire truers - What to look for?

What do you recommend as the features for a foam tire truer for 1:10 scale touring car? 12v or 120 ac? automatic or manual? type of bit (abrasive, steel, carbide?)
Old 01-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

This is the one you want...

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...7&kategoria=62

I think Corally makes one similar to this too. Make sure you CA your edges after you true. I had someone borrow mine and they left a bead of CA on the inside of the cover. Good thing I was able to clean it off with debonder. Definitely pick up a carbide bit for any truer you buy.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Tech Addict

Hudy stuff is always sweet. Looks like a piece of laboratory grade equipment.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Tech Adept

12v automatic truer they all pretty much have the same features, just depends how much extra you want to pay for a NAME. Integy makes a good truer.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The Hudy is the best, hands down. I don't regret the money I spent on it one bit. The key to a good truer is the motor. The cheaper Integy and like have weak motors that mean you can't true a large tire in one swipe. With the Hudy I've trued 10 full sedan sets in a row all down to the desired diameter in one pass and it didn't miss a beat.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

I have the 110V Hudy unit.
Consider where you will be using it...is there a 120v power available?
If using a 12v unit, will your power supply have the amperage to run it?
I just had to buy the Truer and arbors, and no power supply upgrade required to run the unit.
As for a carbide bit, I dont think one is required right off the hop, I am still using the hacksaw blade and does a real nice job for my needs. The carbide unit can be a 'will be nice later on down the road purchase'. Pun not intended.

Last edited by WinnipegRacer; 01-30-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

We have a shop Hudy truer down at the track that had the standard bit in it. We upgraded that to the Hudy carbide and surprised in the difference it made, well worth the money.

For me the fully automatic truer is like flying first class, once you do it once you can never go back.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Anthony.L
The Hudy is the best, hands down. I don't regret the money I spent on it one bit. The key to a good truer is the motor. The cheaper Integy and like have weak motors that mean you can't true a large tire in one swipe. With the Hudy I've trued 10 full sedan sets in a row all down to the desired diameter in one pass and it didn't miss a beat.
See now here we go, i found a tire truer expert. Here is a guy that has taken the time to research all tire truers on the market and cut hundreds of tires with them, so he can make an absolute statement such as "The Hudy is the best, hands down." Thanks for your expert opinion This really is your classic bandwagoneer who just does and says things because of popular opinon. Hey if you want a good tire truer buy one, any one, and I will bet you that It will be the best tire truer in your eyes because its yours. I drive a Nissan its the best car manufacture (why because its mine), I own a Playstation 2 its better than the X-Box (why because its mine), I drive a yokomo, and the only yoke at my track and its the best car there (why because its mine).

I also never said the Integy was the best truer on the market, nor did I say any thing negative about hudy products, so why take it there . I hear the the Team Magic one is the best have you tested that one to solidify your "Hudy is the best, hands down" opinion oh yeah I have opinions like I have a a22 hole.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

for me i had a hudy bit and i went back to a hack saw blade,i just think it cuts better. the hudy wore out and i did not want to buy another one. it dident last that long for the price.oh and i have a integy its good for the price.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i have the integy auto lathe that i picked up on ebay for $100 shipped which was slightly used, and it works pretty well. the only thing i have noticed is the metric scale is a little off, but what i did was once i found the setting i wanted for the final cut to the diameter i use when cutting new tires down i scribed a line so its the same every time. the only other little thing that i think is missing is a bit lock even though i never had it move on me yet.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Tech Adept

you pay alot for the name, my personal opinion. I know people who sware by hudy (setup boards, lathes, truers, and tools) and some people that have had bad experiences. Shocking isn't it
Old 01-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
for me i had a hudy bit and i went back to a hack saw blade,i just think it cuts better. the hudy wore out and i did not want to buy another one. it dident last that long for the price.oh and i have a integy its good for the price.
What kind of hack saw blade did you use? Someone on here mentioned one for cutting tile, but I haven't seen anything like that at our Canadian Tire.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I bought a fully automatic one from RD logics. It looked pretty good on paper, and it was less than the Hudy. I started truing a few tires and noticed they were out of round. Come to find out the arbor was slightly tweaked. I bought the version to do 1/8 tires, but still have to make slow, shallow passes or else it bogs the motor down pretty hard. I saw a Guy at our track w/ the Hudy running tires through it w/ out any bogging.

If I did it again I would buy the Hudy Automatic.

You could drive a Honda or a Porsche, as both will get you to your destination.

-Steve
Old 01-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

personally i would go with the hudy, for performance, quality, and the resale value is the best and it will sell quickly if you ever need to sell it. also the hudy carbide bit is recommended because it take less effort for the motor to remove the tire and gives a great cut. what would you cut a steak with a butter knife or a knife with some teeth on it.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

Best out there? MaxMod if you can find one.
But please remember this is only MY opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.