R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-31-2007, 08:48 AM   #211
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

it is stiff by design, but that does not put a realistic limit on flexibility. if desired, you could run a turnbuckle for the top deck, ala the old axis-2. i'm sure there will be a ton of top decks out to mess around with, since they are small and only require 4 holes.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:54 AM   #212
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TeamButter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball
butter, both the roll center and the toe-in adjustments are changed by using shims. the r/c though, uses shims to lower it, instead of raise it, as is typically thought of. the highest roll center will be attained by bolting the two pin blocks together w/o any shims. therefore, there are no optional blocks necessary to tote around.

Thanks Chris...that's the answer i was looking for.... I guess thats why you are FACTORY!! "You're my boy Blue!" Porcelain Blue that is....
Old 01-31-2007, 08:56 AM   #213
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Mr. Jolly - The camber link really is easy to get to and the massive increase in tuning options outweighs the need to take one extra step to undo one screw.

Thanks for the nice & polite reply Adrian

i`ll go & see if i can find anything else to ask about
I am allowed to asked question`s About this car though am i ???

adrain YGPM
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:29 AM   #214
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball
it is stiff by design, but that does not put a realistic limit on flexibility. if desired, you could run a turnbuckle for the top deck, ala the old axis-2. i'm sure there will be a ton of top decks out to mess around with, since they are small and only require 4 holes.
You will be hard pressed to find a more knowledgeable authority on 'stiffness' than seaball.
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:40 AM   #215
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

To clear up a few detail I am posting the exploded diagram for the Mi3. The Mi3 in the pics and on the diagram is a pre-production prototype and there may be minor changes in design and spec before the kit is released.

Mr. Jolly - Please ask away any question is a good question.

adamge - The kit top deck is still being decided upon. The choice of top deck has a big effect on stiffness but there will be 3 optional ones available along with a 2.5mm chassis and stiff top deck. The Asphalt and Carpet Rubber test drives like the medium flex top deck best so far.

With a 2.5mm chassis and top deck the Mi3 is stiffer than a 4.9mm RDX.

syndr0me - When we designed the Mi3 we did not try to get the lowest top deck or the narrowest chassis. We tried to design the best car we could with performance as the number one goal. The Mi3 chassis is very narrow and the top deck is pretty darned low but these dimensions occured naturally as part of the complete package.
Attached Thumbnails
Offical Mi3 Photos-mi3-exploded-dia-copy.jpg  
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:56 AM   #216
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
The Mi3 uses a special spur gear made by RW for Schumacher. Its part of the ultralight center pulley assembly. We really went back and forth with this and in the end decided to make the best car with no compromises. This required the special spur gears.

We will have 85, 87 and 89 in 48dp and 114, 116 and 118 in 64dp.

Our team has been usng RW 64dp gears for the last 4 years with great sucess.
Can't say I'm thrilled to hear it uses car specific spur gears. But I guess if its what works best with the car, then you guys did what you had to do. I am a fan of RW gears though, so as long as the gears are easy to come by I guess its not that big a deal.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:58 AM   #217
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
syndr0me - When we designed the Mi3 we did not try to get the lowest top deck or the narrowest chassis. We tried to design the best car we could with performance as the number one goal. The Mi3 chassis is very narrow and the top deck is pretty darned low but these dimensions occured naturally as part of the complete package.
That makes sense. It seems to have come about as part of the evolution of touring car design. The pictures were just for comparison, not to suggest one is better than another.

The "bench racing" factor is strong with people. I think most of us have enough vanity inside that we want a car that looks nice, and performs well. Whether it was intentional or not, you guys have won that particular battle by a LARGE margin. And while it won't mean anything on the track, per se, it could possibly sell more kits than winning a few big races.

Also, that SRC chassis for the RDX is 3.9mm.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:03 AM   #218
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
To clear up a few detail I am posting the exploded diagram for the Mi3. The Mi3 in the pics and on the diagram is a pre-production prototype and there may be minor changes in design and spec before the kit is released.

Mr. Jolly - Please ask away any question is a good question.

adamge - The kit top deck is still being decided upon. The choice of top deck has a big effect on stiffness but there will be 3 optional ones available along with a 2.5mm chassis and stiff top deck. The Asphalt and Carpet Rubber test drives like the medium flex top deck best so far.

Those productions arms look nice and beefy! And the icing on the cake quick links for the shocks.
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:14 AM   #219
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:

If I brought one it would be used primarily for carpet anyway so I am happy about the stiffness of the chassis.... funny guy.... I owe you Tag!

Last edited by Isaac; 01-31-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:15 AM   #220
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I am happy about the stiffness.[/QUOTE]

.... .........

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:16 AM   #221
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmooth
You will be hard pressed to find a more knowledgeable authority on 'stiffness' than seaball.
is seaball that `Hard` then
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:17 AM   #222
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Adrian

1. Will the Mi3 have center 1way for carpet rubber and I'm assuming that the Mi2 front 1way will fit the Mi3.

2. it's kind of hard to see in the drawing but is the thrust bearing caged.

3. My only concern is the strength of the steering mechanism that made of graphite
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:20 AM   #223
Suspended

Cool

Get up, come on get down with the stiffness!
You motha get up, come on get down with the stiffness!
You f***a get up, come on get down with the stiffness!
Madness is the gift that has been given to me.

McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:20 AM   #224
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TeamButter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmooth
He said Hard pressed... LOL!!! Whats up Mr.Mcbride?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:21 AM   #225
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

okay, just got back from checking the FAQ first, but didn't find an answer.

AdrianM or PW: has it been decided whether the car will come with a 48p or 64p spur gear? It was mentioned that both would be 'availible', but not which is included.

I know the general thought is that an "asphalt ready" car would come with 48p, but if you guys haven't decided yet, I certainly vote for 64p.

Even on outdoor parking lot racing, 64p gears (especially the narrow designed RW gears) seem to hold up just as well as 48p gears.