R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-26-2007, 08:34 AM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter
Default Cooling fan Set-ups

Was looking for information related to cooling fans, Maybe someone can post there setups, what the best setups are... Where to get the stuff.

PICS...

What Fans ?
Run a fan controller ?
Layout ?
Powersources
Heatsinks ?
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
Tech Adept

One of the setups that I am currently using is on the TC4, it is actually a piece created by Associated, it has two fans and a duct system, that takes in air from under the car, the problem that I have been having with this fan is that the fans constintlly get block by chuncks of rubber, But overall it is a pretty nice setup...I will try and post some pics later...I am sure this part can be modified to work well with other cars as well..
jeffbhhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AssocRacer Send a message via Yahoo to AssocRacer

I've seen that set up, but i don't think it works too well for racing for the mentioned problem of getting things stuck in it. what i find works best is a clip on heat sink that has a fan mounted to it. That's what almost all the guys at my local track are using. I know a few manufactures actually make optional fan mounts for thier touring cars (i.e. X-ray, Corally). Beware of ones that are mounted on the side cause they can be easily broken during a race if you're slammed by another car on that side. I'll post a pic of how i have mine set up when i get home tonight. Unfortunately, it's a side mounted one, but works well. As long as you don't get sideways and let someone slam into you on the track, it's all good I bought mine on ebay for like 8 bucks, and it works just as well as the other factory option ones that are in the $20-30 range.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TeamButter

Mr.Potter,

the fan won't save you. Perhaps rebuilding your car more often than once a year might give you the added run time you are looking for. With rocks, boulders, small animals and children all caught up in your drive train it robs your vehicle of power and efficiency.

Hope this helps....

Butter

Old 01-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Potter - what's up man????? It's on at the birds brotha!!!! I will try not to punt you in the boards this time....

I have tried a few things. I use team tamale's fan mount most of the time and it works great. I only use 2 fans, and I don't use the angled down mount b/c i have broke a few fans like that.

I have the offset motor mount on one of my RDX's and the tamale mount can't fit, so I ended up jimmy rigging one of tamale's FK05 dual fan mount with a CRC post. It is a little on the heavy side, but it works.

I have found the Novak fans work great. I also like the associated dual fans....they are already all wired together and work pretty good.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssocRacer
I've seen that set up, but i don't think it works too well for racing for the mentioned problem of getting things stuck in it. what i find works best is a clip on heat sink that has a fan mounted to it. That's what almost all the guys at my local track are using. I know a few manufactures actually make optional fan mounts for thier touring cars (i.e. X-ray, Corally). Beware of ones that are mounted on the side cause they can be easily broken during a race if you're slammed by another car on that side. I'll post a pic of how i have mine set up when i get home tonight. Unfortunately, it's a side mounted one, but works well. As long as you don't get sideways and let someone slam into you on the track, it's all good I bought mine on ebay for like 8 bucks, and it works just as well as the other factory option ones that are in the $20-30 range.
I originally wanted to get one of the heatsinks with the fans mounted on the top, but I found that I could not get power from my receiver to the fan...I have a spektrum and for some reason the battery slot would not power the fan on the 3racing fans available at my local hobby shop... Do you know of any other way to get power to the fan that is pretty easy to do? thanks Jeff
Old 01-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alex Lopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamButter
Mr.Potter,

the fan won't save you. Perhaps rebuilding your car more often than once a year might give you the added run time you are looking for. With rocks, boulders, small animals and children all caught up in your drive train it robs your vehicle of power and efficiency.

Hope this helps....

Butter

Even with that you still whooped him Potter!!! SUAS!!!
Alex Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AssocRacer Send a message via Yahoo to AssocRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbhhs
I originally wanted to get one of the heatsinks with the fans mounted on the top, but I found that I could not get power from my receiver to the fan...I have a spektrum and for some reason the battery slot would not power the fan on the 3racing fans available at my local hobby shop... Do you know of any other way to get power to the fan that is pretty easy to do? thanks Jeff
That's wierd, does your spectrum reciever power your transponder? I just use a Y-spice to power my transponder and my fan. I know some speed controls have a seperate lead that powers a motor cooling fan. I'm not sure how else to get power. You could go right off of the battery wires, but then you wouldn't be able to turn off the fan with the rest of the electronics without unplugging the battery.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:44 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Anyone use the Much More fan Controller ?
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
Old 01-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Ha... funny thing Alex.. he is right..... My chassi is worn to razor blade thickness... the arms are the original from the kit... I have a Novak T4 speedo... and Ham radio gear... If Butter didnt wire the car... it would look like a rats nest..... I didnt want the fans for cooling, I wanted them to blow the crap out of the car..... LOW MAINT !!!!

Should check out the Redline Mod in it too....

Goo..... Punk Kick and Pass...... :>
Old 01-26-2007, 11:07 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssocRacer
That's wierd, does your spectrum reciever power your transponder? I just use a Y-spice to power my transponder and my fan. I know some speed controls have a seperate lead that powers a motor cooling fan. I'm not sure how else to get power. You could go right off of the battery wires, but then you wouldn't be able to turn off the fan with the rest of the electronics without unplugging the battery.
Well the wierd thing is that the associated fan will work in the spektrum receiver...Maybe it doesnt produce enough power? I am using a Novak GTS ESC and it doesnt have any extra leads unfortunately
Old 01-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'm looking for a couple of fans that Trinity had. Anyone have a part # for these? Thanks
Old 01-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The first pic's are of my MSX with my custom fan I made and modified to race in Modified and the second one is the Cool Can Fan Which work's the best out of all the Fans system's I have used.
Addam
Attached Thumbnails
Cooling fan Set-ups-addams-custom-dual-fan-003-small-.jpg   Cooling fan Set-ups-cool-can-fan-msx-018-medium-.jpg  
Wing Chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdude
I'm looking for a couple of fans that Trinity had. Anyone have a part # for these? Thanks
Eli, I think this is what your looking for .
http://www.teamtrinity.com/shop/maintenance/motor.html
Kropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #15
KoE
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to KoE
Default IC-SM regulator

Can any electronic wizard help me with setting/soldering up this tiny IC-SM regulator from esc to fan? I'm tapping power straight from battery pack so that the fan will run when i turn marshal.

The large pic of the regulator can be found here ==>> http://www.mercateo.com/p/139-360562...2FP5002MR.html

I'm totally lost with the 3-pin setup