Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eagle/3Racing tire truer

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Tech Champion

Default Eagle/3Racing tire truer

In 06 I finally was able to get back into my favorate form of racing...pan car racing. Back when I used to run them more regularly I couldn't afford expensive items like tire truers and whatnot but now I can So I went and bought myself the 3Racing automatic tire truer. For the most part the thing is great and easy to use. However I'm running into a couple issues I wonder if other people run into with different brands or how people with the same brand have worked around the issues. I'm using it for 1/12th pan car tires and the method in which tires are mounted to the rim appears to have changed. Back when pan cars were popular racers and manufacturers used a contact cement or similar glue to hold the tires to the rim. It was easy enough to soak the rims in laquor thinner to remove the foam from the rim. Now it seems manufacturers use CA glue to glue the tire to the rim so the soaking method no longer works. I've been told people usually true the tire off the rim to mount new ones. This is where I have a problem...the arm won't reach the rim unless I extend it out past the adjustment screw. If I use CRC High Roller rims it's not too far past but I don't think it would be safe to use this method on a normal 1/12th rim. Do other automatic truers run into this problem as well? What methods are others using for removing the foam tires from the rims?

The 2nd issue I'm having is with rounding the edges. In the past I used to do this with a stick with dragon skin attached and rounded them manually. This tire truer has 2 pieces built in to round the edges and use a lever to manipulate them. Problem is they rest on a bar and are adjusted with a set screw. However I've had problems with them not lining up eactly so one side starts getting shaped before the other. Any idea of how to get these to line up better?