R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-24-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Exclamation To all FT TC4 owners...

I've had a problem ever since I started using Orion/Peak Lipos. The battery would slip because there's nothing holding it on the side, even with the optional battery strap AE sells.

Well I had been trying to find a solution to this problem, and I think I've finally got something worth while. I have this Scotch bundling wrap I bought at Walmart, and it dawned on me. I strapped it around the blue posts to make a barrier. The pics better explain the solution. I would also highly recommend the thumbscrews AE sells because they help tighten the strap to the battery a lot better than the clips.

Tell me what you all think, and if there's something I'm missing. I haven't tried it out, but later on today I will, and I'll let you know how it held up.
Attached Thumbnails
To all FT TC4 owners...-img_5555.jpg   To all FT TC4 owners...-img_5556.jpg   To all FT TC4 owners...-img_5557.jpg   To all FT TC4 owners...-img_5558.jpg  
phresko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phresko
I've had a problem ever since I started using Orion/Peak Lipos. The battery would slip because there's nothing holding it on the side, even with the optional battery strap AE sells.

Well I had been trying to find a solution to this problem, and I think I've finally got something worth while. I have this Scotch bundling wrap I bought at Walmart, and it dawned on me. I strapped it around the blue posts to make a barrier. The pics better explain the solution. I would also highly recommend the thumbscrews AE sells because they help tighten the strap to the battery a lot better than the clips.

Tell me what you all think, and if there's something I'm missing. I haven't tried it out, but later on today I will, and I'll let you know how it held up.
what i do is make two "post/nubs" along the edge of the chassis to help with battery ejection... i pick two spots and drill a small hole and countersink them... then i just use a 4-40 flat head amd some 4-40 black nylon nuts (2 per screw)... works very well and if done right it looks very clean... i'll try to post pics of it later...
Old 01-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

If you don't take the battery out of the car then put some double side tape on the underside of the battery strap and/or on the chassis.

Pro-Line RacingHobbywingMIPBOOMrcFutabaPT RC Racing Oils
CCristo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Put Shoe Goo on the Battery Strap, let it dry, then it is soft to bit into the battery case, holds it in like a champ. The other thing if you race this car, you will need to add 7oz of weight to make it legal, I do this on the inside of the battery, to keep the weight as close to the center of the car. Do this, will push the battery to the outside of the car.

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
Tech Regular

You could simply arrange some kind of this rather than put that bondages..., the foam strip will keep battery from side movement,

make 2 nicely cut strip of high density black foam sheet (4 mm or 5 mm thick) and glue them it to chassis as pics below.

- ensure the inner side is parallel and clearing driveshaft
- put the battery on it while gluing foam strip for neat and fit holder attachment
- still not firm enough? glue a layer of 2 mm foam sheet below battery stap plate
Attached Thumbnails
To all FT TC4 owners...-battery-holder.jpg  
Faiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AssocRacer Send a message via Yahoo to AssocRacer

here's another idea..... i haven't tried it yet, but when i run out of battery strapping tape, i'm going to. Get some of the battery mounting pieces from the x-ray cars, the ones that hold the outside of the battery in place, then get the FT battery strap kit and that should hold it down awesume, i know it works really good in the x-ray car.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:37 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

I had been wanting to do something like AM03GT mentioned, but I didn't really want to experiment drilling in my chassis and I don't even have a drill countersink bit. This solution, though, I believe is the most secure way to hold the battery.

I actually had done something like what Faiz said, and I had some success with it. I had used CA glue to stick it to the chassis, but it came off after 2 weeks with a soft hit in my living room. The only reason why I think it came off is because it was very stiff, and the crashes are less forgiving.

What I like about the strap on the side is that it actually has some flex, meaning if you have a crash it will act as, perhaps, a "side airbag". No need to adjust, drill, or glue anything in the chassis. A simple and effective (at least it seems to be) solution.

I tried it yesterday and it held up fine. But all I really did was drift a little. I will update when I do more testing.
phresko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

you don't really need a countersink bit... i use the cone shaped dremel grinding bit and just manually rotate it at an angle to make a countersink... do it in small steps and the results are pretty good... so far this method has worked very well for me except for the 1-2 severe crashes where the batteries still shifted and twisted just a bit. but to be fair those crashes would have ripped the tape riht out if i was using tape =p

here are some picks...

Last edited by AM03GT; 09-04-2008 at 09:57 PM.
AM03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:36 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to ford_racing

Looks very nice AM03GT, what I use is actually a BMI battery strap with the slots slightly dremeled to lower the packs nicely into the chassis.

Looks very nice and the extra CF strap doesn't add a lot of weight and holds the packs in very nicely.
ford_racing is offline   Reply With Quote