Old 01-24-2007, 01:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default running a xxx-t on pavement

has any one raced a xxx-t on pavement?
Old 01-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes -- for a couple of years a local club held parking lot races, and in addition to racing my sedans in stock and mod, I ran my XXX-T in "gearbox"/truck class...

Very simple mods really make a HUGE difference.

Get a set of XXX BUGGY shocks on eBay or somewhere, and use those in place of the truck shocks. This instantly lowers the truck to about 3/8" ground clearance for much improved cornering.

Get a set of LOSI T-90 "Street" tires (Red compound) and put them on all 4 corners. These tires are wider than offroad tires and MUCH lower profile -- really helps with cornering. They have far better traction than Proline or other "street" tires.

That's it. That setup took me to more than my share of A-Main wins!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

i just put fuel tube in the shocks to limit them. made zero degree rear arm mounts, a direct drive to replace the slipper, and new caster blocks to have the steering stand up. i also am running the panther slicks. going to try to road course this week with it...
Old 01-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

If you use fuel tubing to limit shock travel, it is vital that you use a LOSI shock matching tool... Racing onroad makes even TINY differences between shocks a HUGE issue -- it creates "tweak" and the truck will push when you turn one direction and spin out when you go the other. When I want to do any serious limiting, I don't like fuel tubing for that reason -- I use the plastic spacer from old LOSI shock cartridges (they are about 1/4" and every one is IDENTICAL) and/or the 'A' or 'B' spacers that come with new cartridges for the same reason.

I also really prefer the T90 tires because of the extra width (widest tire I ever found) and their low profile. Racing onroad taller tires tend to "roll under" when cornering, causing handling problems -- I've seen a lot of trucks with tall slicks traction roll in the turns due to the extra tire diameter.

Having said all that, it sounds like you should be close to a good setup, and if this is your first time out, you'll spend more time adjusting your driving style to onroad than worrying about "setups". Onroad is all about smooooth, flowing style -- "slow is fast" on the "twisty bits", since holding a smooth, tight line and carrying momentum is more important that anything.

Just have fun, because I can tell you that you are in for some serious FUN!
Old 01-26-2007, 03:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

i built a t2 10 years ago for oval racing. i got back into it with my son. i want to run foams but i haven't found any of the truck donuts that i could mount. i have the truck balance very close. i need to play with the gearing now.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

i think the rtr body might throw the competition off
Old 01-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by azfabguy
i want to run foams but i haven't found any of the truck donuts that i could mount.
Check out

http://www.rc4less.com/

They have dirt oval foams, and I think they also sell just the foam donuts...

Yep -- I just checked -- here's the link to their Truck Foam Donuts:
http://rc4less.safeshopper.com/9/cat9.htm?2682

I've run their 10th scale and 12th scale pancar foams on carpet and they are GREAT. Their dirt oval tires have gotten rave reviews over on HobbyTalk.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by azfabguy
i built a t2 10 years ago for oval racing. i got back into it with my son. i want to run foams but i haven't found any of the truck donuts that i could mount. i have the truck balance very close. i need to play with the gearing now.
Go to Rematch Racing in my sig, go to products, and then Gone Bananas. They're a foam tire company for trucks.

David
Old 01-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

thanks guys!! that is exactly what i wanted!!