R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Stock Brushless for 12th Scale (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/145968-stock-brushless-12th-scale.html)

N.Smrt 01-22-2007 05:21 PM

Stock Brushless for 12th Scale

It has been brought to my attention that Novak's 13.5 brushless motor is legal in the stock class. I've seen it run in the stock rubber touring class locally. It looks competitive. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how well it might run in 1/12th scale? It would be legal, right? Would it fit in the pod? Is it heavier than a brushed motor? That would be terrible to have more weight right there. I would really be interested in running 1/12th scale stock again with the Novak 4-cell esc and a brushless. Honestly, I'd rather drive nothing but high-powered brushless cars but everyone wants to drive stock, no modified. This is why I mainly drive nothing but nitro on-road and mamba-powered M18's.

timmay70 01-22-2007 05:37 PM

There has been quite a few posts in the 1/12th thread these last couple of days regarding the 13.5 in a 1/12th scale that you should check out.

In short, ROAR rules currently don't allow brushless motors in stock class, therefore you will not find it allowed in stock at any of the large events. It is up to your local club/track to decide if they will allow this motor in thier local classes.

Lextek 01-22-2007 05:38 PM

Two guys at our track are running the 13.5s in CRC Gen-Xs withe Sphere ESCs. They seem quite fast.

gotpez 01-22-2007 06:26 PM

I just ran a GTB and a 13.5 this weekend in my 12th scale. At least compared to MY stock motors, this is definitely faster. I gained .5 seconds per lap. My best lap time dropped from 8.6 to 8.1. Pretty significant increase in performance. I also found the power to be very smooth and the car was very drivable.

It seems that most tracks are allowing the 13.5 to race along with the stockers. We had three of us running the 13.5's and the competition was extremely close, I think it will be a great equalizer.

SteveJa 01-22-2007 06:37 PM

i am running a 4300 in my 1/12 scale in the 19 turn class. yes there is more weight, but it really did not change things much.... i think the motor is like 30grams more ?? (sorry it is in the car so i cant tell you for sure).. at our next big race i think i am going to get a 13.5 and run in stock also. the best thing with the brushless.... you have more time to make changes to your car. and with 1/12 scale sometimes that is a good thing...

Solara 01-22-2007 06:46 PM

ROAR does not allow brushless to race against brushed motor in stock class. And some local track will allow to do so cause that will draw a lot more 12th ppl.

I have seen 12th scale that equipped with 13.5. It is just as fast as the top brushed motor. And if you want to, I believe you can gear it faster then brusheds stock motor if you have the sintered rotor inside.

13.5 motor and GTB definitely going to be heavier...and a lot more wire to cut/zip tie or gue...but without working with the motor and longer run time, BL is definitely what I want to use on my 12th.

Now...beside GTB, I heard Tekin does have the stock motor/speed coming out soon...