R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Epic 3800 cell question

Hello guys, I just purchased 2 packs of epic 3800 mathced cells, have you guys heard any good or bad things about these cells, Are these IB cells or just epic brand? I orignally thought they were IB but when I got them home I realized they did not have the labeling on them of IB cells any info would help thanks Jeff
jeffbhhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbhhs
Hello guys, I just purchased 2 packs of epic 3800 mathced cells, have you guys heard any good or bad things about these cells, Are these IB cells or just epic brand? I orignally thought they were IB but when I got them home I realized they did not have the labeling on them of IB cells any info would help thanks Jeff
They are IB packs, just relabled for EPIC. Same cell just a different shrink wrap. I have a few friends that ran them last year, great cells and all. There the same type of cell as the blue and black Ib's. Hope that helps-
Old 01-21-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Well, they are not as rugged as 3300s thats for sure!
They dont like heat, most of us in my circle agree that the numbers change change within 4 or 5 charges and I hear the 42s arent much better, as a matter of fact my matcher is not going to bother with them! Kinda leaves me hanging and believing the newer cells coming out suck?
I know you will hear several different opinions but that is what I have experienced with mine.
Hungbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Speedy
They are IB packs, just relabled for EPIC. Same cell just a different shrink wrap. I have a few friends that ran them last year, great cells and all. There the same type of cell as the blue and black Ib's. Hope that helps-
thank you for the reply
Old 01-23-2007, 02:34 AM   #5
Tech Regular

The new IB cells are very touchy. They don't like to be charged to high and they don' like to be dumped to low. Keeping this in mind, and taking propor care of them, They will out preform any other cell that has been made.

Al Schwarze
MEGAVOLTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
Tech Adept

I have been using 3800s and they seem to work well, I heard that the 3800s had some more punch...What should I set my Peak sensitivity at when charging these, I am using a APS and an ICE...Also how many mAh should I set the capacity at? I had it at aout 4600 i think however it didnt get that high..
Old 01-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Depending on how the weather is and how hot your charger is charging them to, you want your delta peak .4-.5 mv per cell. Since you are using delta peak, you don't need your capacity set that low, since it will stop before the delta peak. Most IB4200 will take much more than that at peak. I have a pack that peaks close to 5000. 3800s will obviously take less. Remember too, you are charging from trayed/equalized packs, so there is a small amount of charge in them at start. Most people agree that when starting a charge, deadshorting for IB cells isn't as good. Ib cells are great; higher voltage, less IR, but like any cell needs to be treated properly. If stored without use over a few days, store them with about a half charge. They don't like to be stored with no charge over time.