R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-19-2007, 02:30 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
As for Reedy, I don't know all the details. But he is in assisted living housing and not doing all that well.
Never want to hear that. I never met Mike Reedy personally but people I know who have always spoke very highly of him.

My question though was more to the status of the brand that is "Reedy". It was always a very strong brand name in the industry and it's sad to see those go. I felt the same about Tekin and it was good to see that name resurface.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:59 PM   #17
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I was pretty firm into running Reedy Motors after my experiences with there KR and 19 Turn Quad Mag motors. I even ran an MVP once in a blue moon after doing the late Big Jim's tuning techniques.

Other than the rumors of that hot stock motor that never made it out of the door that Big Jim talked about, never really heard of anything else coming. I would have hoped they would have made a KR2 or some motor similar to the high run motors like checkpoint and orion, but they never did, only that super expensive brush compound.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:43 PM   #18
Tech Rookie

Default Whats the difference? New to the scene

I have always run nitro and Im tired of the BS tuning and none starting. Ready to get back to electric and now theres brushless and brush motors. Whats the difference? Not looking to get into a war here of who's better just the difference. I have two identical cars (traxxas tec4) one stock and the other with a 12 turn epic with a intellespeed 12T esc. Whatever help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks.
ibdinfantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:33 PM   #19
Tech Master

Quote:
Orion impersonal? Hmm I don't know of many companies (big or small) that you can call or email and speak with factory drivers, team managers, or production technicians regarding your motor or battery requirements, problems, etc.

As for Reedy, I don't know all the details. But he is in assisted living housing and not doing all that well.
yah actually, the last time I called Peak, Rick was the one that answered the phone!!! pretty cool...

Team Associated/Reedy/LRP
STARSCREAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:40 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to dgullickson Send a message via Yahoo to dgullickson

Never had an issue with dealing with Peak/Orion infact when I called Peak to order Rick usually answered, now I just e-mail Orion and they respond within a day with an Invoice attached and a nice Thank you.

Thanks Rick and Wife
dgullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:57 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Who cares bout looks when the performance blows away one your motor`s over & over for months....

A little extra wire is worth it.....
Thermalling of Brushless motors/ESC are still a BIG issue, at least here in Australia (Summer here atm). At a local track some even managed to thermal the stock brushless.... It is the future, but I won’t be jumping till all/most of these issues are resolved. My 7 & 6 turn Brood & Jansen Motors will do me fine against the “Brushless Brigade”, I’m never short of HP . Brushless only has a "Huge" advantage with med/high grip tracks that have several slow hairpin corners where there explosive power can really be put down (IMO).
Old 01-19-2007, 07:19 PM   #22
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Isn't it weird to hear the shift of thinking regarding BL? Now, it's the brave few running the brushed motors against the "brushless brigade." This happened faster than I expected.

That's too bad about Mr. Reedy not doing well. A nice way to honor him might be to preserve the brand name, and maybe only use it for really special/top of the line motors, or something.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:53 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I wonder if this will be the end of the Reedy Race of Champions?
Old 01-20-2007, 09:20 AM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Isn't it weird to hear the shift of thinking regarding BL? Now, it's the brave few running the brushed motors against the "brushless brigade." This happened faster than I expected.

That's too bad about Mr. Reedy not doing well. A nice way to honor him might be to preserve the brand name, and maybe only use it for really special/top of the line motors, or something.

unfortunatley associated killed any preservation of all that mike reedy did by merging with the pos company thunder tiger.. there service sucks so bad now, it sickens me.Red White and Blue of associated is no longer made in america.... i know a local guy here who sent in 6 lrp spheres for customers,, 8 months later still no esc's.. wtf is that...

I got to meet mike reddy at the 2000 novak race.. he showed me how he builds a stock motor, and ive used some of his advice since... He is a pillar to our sport..
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbs
unfortunatley associated killed any preservation of all that mike reedy did by merging with the pos company thunder tiger.. there service sucks so bad now, it sickens me.Red White and Blue of associated is no longer made in america.... i know a local guy here who sent in 6 lrp spheres for customers,, 8 months later still no esc's.. wtf is that...

I got to meet mike reddy at the 2000 novak race.. he showed me how he builds a stock motor, and ive used some of his advice since... He is a pillar to our sport..

Thunder Tiger was making the stuff for Associated LONG before the merger. Anything that Associated sold that was molded, came through Thunder Tiger.

Mike Reedy is one of the classics. I've never heard anybody say a bad word about him. We need more people like him involved in this great hobby of ours.

Whether Mike is around or not, I believe the Reedy Race of Champions will continue. This has become one of the elite races in our hobby, and it is a great legacy that he leaves behind.
gotpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:14 AM   #26
Tech Addict

I met Mr. Reedy some years ago. He IS a great guy. I'm very sorry to hear about his health although it doesn't surprise me. The man is old and he has been around dangerous chemicals for a long time, motor sprays etc. I hope his assistant, in the assisted living housing, is a very hot nurse .

It would be great if someone could keep us up to date on Mike Reedy's well-being.

About the Reedy "brand" on motors. Unfortunately Mikes replacement isn't doing good enough job. The brand will never be the same as it was unless someone buys it from Associated or rather Thunder Tiger. Someone with lot of knowledge about motors and motor tuning and who is ready to tell Yokomo how to improve the motors.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:07 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff jenkins
cherry id like to see one of your motors produce as much power as one of mine.. your post makes me laugh....
ask him how many motors hes blown up and how many speed controls hes been thru, and thats in off road.

however, i do run a novak 13.5 in sedan and love it, not a single problem.
Turtlemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:24 AM   #28
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlemaster
ask him how many motors hes blown up and how many speed controls hes been thru, and thats in off road.

however, i do run a novak 13.5 in sedan and love it, not a single problem.
]

For everyone info..

Time used = over 1 year

two ESC`s have failed...

no "Reedy" brushless motor`s .....

unless you count the one Neo I simply worn out.

Took me 8 month`s of racing to do it....

I have never seen a motor of Ritchie`s or Brood`s last as long or take as much punishment as a Reedy Neo ...

and

I race in one week , as much as Ritchie does in 1 one month...

and

unlike him, I truly love my brushless and hate having to go back to brush motors......

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 01-22-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

you must not be making good observations since you dont leave TRCR EVER... i have had a 12x1 v2 that i have been running for over 8 months with out a single cutt and it will still kick the crap out of yours power wise... plus you can make anything last forever in off road... it doesnt have as much work for the motor with only 2 wheels moving or even in 4wd buggy because you are running on dirt. try running sedan and i will eat you up with my motors.. but this requires you to leave trcr. track rat.. haha im not trying to piss you off but but dont make these assumptions. you have no idea what kind of power we can produce over here at brood... dont just look at our customers stuff.. try running agianst us with youur motors as we are tuners over here at brood.. we can get brushed motors to last forever.... with amazing power.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
]

For everyone info..

Time used = over 1 year

two ESC`s have failed...

no "Reedy" brushless motor`s .....

unless you count the one Neo I simply worn out.

Took me 8 month`s of racing to do it....

I have never seen a motor of Ritchie`s or Brood`s last as long or take as much punishment as a Reedy Neo ...

and

I race in one week , as much as Ritchie does in 1 one month...

and

unlike him, I truly love my brushless and hate having to go back to brush motors......

wow, i haven't seen a spinner like that since that girl back in day, you know the one........

i race on road more in a week then you do in year,

true i only run off road once in a great while but three times a week on road is more then the twice a week off road, of course thats using old school math so i'm not sure. and all us locals know the true numbers.

btw, i don't love anything that can't love me back.....
Turtlemaster is offline   Reply With Quote