R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Measuring droop

I was reading an article on Xtreme Rc: http://rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=30&page=1

How many do you guys use Calipers to measure your droop? For foam and rubber? and what height do we exactly want it?
peded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Tech Elite

There are different ways to measure droop and the caliper way is just one way. I usuaally use a droop gauge but check for tweak is important after or it is a way to catch if your tweak is off. With calipers, you'll have to check tweak before. For foam tires I don't do it with calipers since your droop changes as your tires wear.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The way I measure droop:
I first set the down stops with a droop gauge (this varies with tire diameter), I then set my ride height. Then I use my ride height gauge and push it under the chassis till my tires are off the setup board. I slowly pull it out so that the tires are just touching the board. The difference between that height and the ride height is my droop. For a very smooth technical track, I try for 3/4mm of droop.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by peded
I was reading an article on Xtreme Rc: http://rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=30&page=1

How many do you guys use Calipers to measure your droop? For foam and rubber? and what height do we exactly want it?
I use calipers to measure droop, it makes for consistent changes. As for the amount of droop it depends on the car and the track conditions.
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:15 AM   #5
Tech Master

I use two ride height gagues to measure droop. After I set ride height I set the chasis up on the gagues at whatever I want the droop at over ride height then tighten the screws till the tires come off of the ground and lower till they just touch. Works very fast for me. I can see that the calipers would be very acurate to even it out side to side tho.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:02 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

What is a reasonable range of droop to experiment with? I would imagine the least would be about 0.5-1mm. What's the maximum amount of droop you would reasonably use? Foam or rubber tire.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote