R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-18-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default What would you like in a racing DVD?

Hi guys,

As some/many of you know, my little hobby shop Ampdraw Hobbies has been producing DVDs of the past few years' Reedy and IIC races. We just finished the 2006 races that we'd filmed and we're looking to do these, and possibly others (maybe some off-road) in 2007.

I've received a lot of good feedback from a lot of people this year about the DVDs, but I'm still curious as to what people would want to see in something like this. We're not doing the DVDs to try and make a ton of money, we're really doing them because they are fun and because I think the races deserve to be preserved like this.

So if you were going to sit down and watch a DVD of a single race, what would you want it to have?

You can see a trailer for last year's Reedy race here:
http://www.ampdraw.com/reedy06

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Girls and Explosions...but not Exploding Girls.
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

None of the crapy music, and same lame layout that is on other videos!
gijoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Personally, I want setup tips (follow a good driver as he makes changes and talks about what he's trying to change), and driving tips (including the ones that are for that specific track).
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you are showing the whole race, then a scrolling leaderboard on bottom of screen of who's in first through last with last lap time and seconds behind leader.
CR-01
teabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #6
Tech Regular

I like my DVDs like this ...

http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=92032

But then I did make the program!

Seriously you need to treat the sport exactly the same way as you would a full size motor race, one of the things that people most like about our show is that we have professional commentary on the races by one of the UKs top race commentators (actually he's the circuit commentator for the American Le Mans series as well!!), we also have pre- and post race interviews carried out by a guy who did 7 years working in the F1 pitlane as an interviewer.

Looking at the trailer it is obvious that you and your team are very good cameramen, so you've done the most difficult bit!
exint2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge
Personally, I want setup tips (follow a good driver as he makes changes and talks about what he's trying to change), and driving tips (including the ones that are for that specific track).
This would actually be a good idea...I'd like to see how different drivers go about setting their cars up.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #8
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabag
If you are showing the whole race, then a scrolling leaderboard on bottom of screen of who's in first through last with last lap time and seconds behind leader.
This is actually something I am working on. The one problem with it is just getting the timing data itself, and then syncing it to the race. I do think this would be really cool to do though.

Thus far, we have just shown the starting order before a race, and then the finishing order with laps and times after the race.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to K_Spec_RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge
I agree, but to take a step further, why not follow two diferent drivers with two diferent cars and compare the changes that each driver makes. So those of us with car X will see what works, and those driving car Y can do the same. Since every car is diferent, I think it would be a good idea. Just my 2 cents
Old 01-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureal
Hi guys,

As some/many of you know, my little hobby shop Ampdraw Hobbies has been producing DVDs of the past few years' Reedy and IIC races. We just finished the 2006 races that we'd filmed and we're looking to do these, and possibly others (maybe some off-road) in 2007.

I've received a lot of good feedback from a lot of people this year about the DVDs, but I'm still curious as to what people would want to see in something like this. We're not doing the DVDs to try and make a ton of money, we're really doing them because they are fun and because I think the races deserve to be preserved like this.

So if you were going to sit down and watch a DVD of a single race, what would you want it to have?

You can see a trailer for last year's Reedy race here:
http://www.ampdraw.com/reedy06

Thanks!
is the reedy'06 video available already? how about the release date for the IIC?
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
is the reedy'06 video available already? how about the release date for the IIC?
The Reedy '06 DVD is currently available for pre-order, and the IIC '05 DVD is available now along with several other DVDs.

Check out the trailer at the link above - the DVD is in my humble opinion top notch and ships in just a few weeks.
JasonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:56 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

What I liked about ziggy reedy race dvd, is that he tape the race own the driver stand.

And the price .
Old 01-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Some really good ideas have been given... So some new below and others just reviwing what has been sugguested...

1. How To with the experts. setup, driving, etc...
2. Ladys....
3. The leader board would nice if possible...
4. but more camera angles... like camera 1 to camera 2 to camera 3 on the leaders or a race for posstion. It is really hard to watch when the action is at the other end of the track.
5. A sit down interview with the winner, or top drivers, get personal to a degree.
6. Some feel good stories about how someone locally is helping the community or R/C (like real sports). This would help others to promote racing locally.

Just some off the top ideas....

Oh... and Barry Baker training videos... I have heard the stories now it is time to meet the man.... Barry - I mean no disrespect to you.. after all we have the same first name...

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #14
Tech Regular

i would like to see and in car camera angle everynow in then, maybe draw straws, for who gets the camera or get the winner of the b-main to run a race specific in car camera car. who could get out of the way of the race but also follow some pros down the starigh into the first turn. plus also a overhead camera angle if thats possible looking down form above on passes and hacks
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket42
i would like to see and in car camera angle everynow in then, maybe draw straws, for who gets the camera or get the winner of the b-main to run a race specific in car camera car. who could get out of the way of the race but also follow some pros down the starigh into the first turn. plus also a overhead camera angle if thats possible looking down form above on passes and hacks
If you are making the video and have no friends in the race, pay someone to drive their R/C with the camera. What would you have to give them, $20? I would do it for nothing. Just the fact that you could say, "that is my car!", is cool. Sorry to get off topic. By the way I would say, less shaky video would make me buy it. So far, all the online videos I have seen have been really shaky.