R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-18-2007, 03:30 PM   #16
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz
4. but more camera angles... like camera 1 to camera 2 to camera 3 on the leaders or a race for posstion. It is really hard to watch when the action is at the other end of the track.
We have actually tried to do this -- we filmed all of 2006 Reedy with three camera angles -- but in practice, I actually find it very, very difficult to watch an RC race like this. We edited them together and you just couldn't follow the cars properly.

Compared to full-size racing, it seems to have a lot to do with the size of the cars and the quickness of the laps. To film one lap with 3 angles, for example, at the Tamiya track you would be switching camera views every 3-4 seconds. It's tough to watch.

The overhead camera, that is something I am working on. We had a bit of heli footage at the 06 Reedy and it was great, you could see the "train" as the cars hit the brakes going into corners and stuff. It was pretty cool.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:45 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe64
None of the crapy music, and same lame layout that is on other videos!
I agree. I'd much rather hear the cars, announcer, and crowd cheers instead of hard rock music.

I also would love to see the entire main, and a leaderboard throughout the race. You could film the scoring computer screen if you have to, and put it in the bottom corner later.

Zoom out for crying out loud! Less camera movements. Nothing worse than getting dizzy, watching zoomed in, shaking camera movements on these fast cars.

Also, get a stationary camera placed up very high, viewing the whole track (on top of a roof, ladder, or something else, make it happen!). This gives a great view of the track, gap distances, and gives a new viewers a sense of how fast these cars are actually going. One of the reasons NASCAR is so popular is because it's good for TV. You can often see everything that's going on. You have an opportunity to do this here as well.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #18
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

As a balance between music/action, we usually put together a 15-minute (roughly) montage with some music, but leave the races themselves untouched, so you just get the announcer, crowd, and cars. I don't think our cameras shake much and you can get all the action so it sounds like we're on the right track there.

At last year's IIC we had an overhead camera but couldn't get it high enough to see the entire track, only about half of it. At an outdoor race like Reedy it is going to be hard to get something up high, especially with wind interference, but I'm still juggling ideas for it. If only we could keep a helicopter up nonstop. haha
Old 01-18-2007, 04:08 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureal
We have actually tried to do this -- we filmed all of 2006 Reedy with three camera angles -- but in practice, I actually find it very, very difficult to watch an RC race like this. We edited them together and you just couldn't follow the cars properly.

Compared to full-size racing, it seems to have a lot to do with the size of the cars and the quickness of the laps. To film one lap with 3 angles, for example, at the Tamiya track you would be switching camera views every 3-4 seconds. It's tough to watch.

Have a look at the race footage at the end of this shows (from about minute 14 of the 23)- not perfect by any means but a five camera shoot non the less.

http://video.google.nl/videoplay?doc...c-racing&hl=nl

also has the post race interviews etc

as it's an upload of a broadcast picture quality is quite low res but it is avalaible in full DVD quality on the DVD link posted above
exint2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge
Personally, I want setup tips (follow a good driver as he makes changes and talks about what he's trying to change), and driving tips (including the ones that are for that specific track).
I love this idea!! Do a bunch of drivers!
Old 01-18-2007, 04:20 PM   #21
Tech Regular

you do need a helicopter really
3 pieces of wire a rubber balloon and your cameras up and ready.
it sounds good in theory
try it out you never now it may be a winner
pug 205 gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:22 PM   #22
Tech Regular

sorry bad typing!!!
you dont need a heli
and just fill the ballon with helium and shes up!!
pug 205 gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #23

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

yes lots of nice women, you would need to be 18 to buy it.

and r/c crashes.
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Tips, hints and tricks from the pros on the top racing sedans. Questions about what products they are using, motors, escs, tires, chargers.....

A how to on things like Lathes, motor rebuilds, proper battery cycling.

Probably break that stuff up in to different chapters so those who know all that stuff can skip it and just watch the racing, interviews and setups.

It would be sweet to see someone win a race or place in the top 3 then interview there setups.

Oh maybe some quick clips of new products and what they are about. The kind of stuff you would get at nationals from product reps. Companies might be willing to pay for a little camera time to talk about there product, key word being maybe :/
cybcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybcow
Tips, hints and tricks from the pros on the top racing sedans. Questions about what products they are using, motors, escs, tires, chargers.....

A how to on things like Lathes, motor rebuilds, proper battery cycling.

Probably break that stuff up in to different chapters so those who know all that stuff can skip it and just watch the racing, interviews and setups.

It would be sweet to see someone win a race or place in the top 3 then interview there setups.

Oh maybe some quick clips of new products and what they are about. The kind of stuff you would get at nationals from product reps. Companies might be willing to pay for a little camera time to talk about there product, key word being maybe :/
Watch the show in the link in post 19 - this is what we are doing in Europe
exint2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the best thing you could do is to find one great camera angle were most of the track is visible and just leave it there. This way if someone is wanting to follow a certain driver(besides the leader) throughout the race they can. Also that leader board idea would be awesome!

Later,
Shaggy
Old 01-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

I don't know it is racing related, but I am always wondering how come no one create a DVD about Engine break in and or Car setup..?

First, DVD about engine break in, how to adjust needle? How to listen to the engine....these are the question that ppl here in Rctech at least 8000 times. And may be you can invite Josh to demostrate his "WOT" break in methrod, explain why it is called WOT...and why need to be WOT..a lot of ppl will say that is crazy to break in a brand new engine but a lot of ppl will say that is what break in suppose to be...and VIDEO will do a million times better job then several hundred words.

(probably the same on stock 19T and mod motor...from someone famous and willing to share his /her 10% of speed secret)

Then car setup.....like showing the way your car setup will make your car how to react on the track...in real action. Not just word...

Racing is always racing....I just want to see something else on DVD beside seeing the top drivers winning their race instead of me winning...LOL
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:22 PM   #28
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

One of the coolest articles I have read was from a few years ago where one of the guys who worked for one of the RC Mags (dont remember which one) got to go be an AE factory driver for the Reedy Race. He had to follow practice schedules, meetings, etc.

At the Reedy race this year, offer each of the major teams (well as many as you can work out) a Camera for the night. Do it only during the practice days. It will offer tons of behind the scenes stuff. Most of what I enjoy about RC Racing is the down time and what goes on during it. Offer up a Tshirt and "title" for Best Prank at each race but set guidelines (so no one gets too hurt LOL).

Anyone who has every travelled to these races knows what I am talking about.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:16 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barry
One of the coolest articles I have read was from a few years ago where one of the guys who worked for one of the RC Mags (dont remember which one) got to go be an AE factory driver for the Reedy Race. He had to follow practice schedules, meetings, etc.
That was "Derek from xtreme rc" and i agree it was the best race coverage ever in a rc mag.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:27 PM   #30
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Shane,

Have you seen the MotoGP documentary "Faster" and/or "The Doctor, The Tornado, & The Kentucky Kid"???

The latter movie followed several MotoGP riders during the 2005 Laguna Seca round of MotoGP... They filmed them basically from the moment they woke up to the end of the raceday... then edited for the good stuff and made a film about it.

That's something I would like to see in an R/C racing DVD... Follow Hara, Rheinard, Moore, Lemieux, etc at a major race (like Reedy). Follow the driver from the moment they get up to the moment they collect their trophy.

Watch them struggle through their setups, watch them interact with their teammates and other drivers. Don't "interview" the drivers... make it sound like you are having a conversation with them... have candid remarks... outtakes... make it seem like we are there too.

I would like to get to know many of these drivers, this would be good way for others to "know" World Class drivers.

The documentary films had this cool feature where they split the screen... one rider is on the left and the other on the right. They filmed one qualifying lap, they had cameras following the bikes, they had cameras on the riders, their hands manipulating the controls... and they had them side by side so that the viewer can compare the two riders in realtime.

This can be done with 2 cameras... one on the racing action... one on the drivers... it would be cool to see how Hara holds his controler versus how Rheinard holds his... compare their lines... compare their setups...

Shane, if you haven't had the opportunity to see these films (many haven't unless your a MotoGP fan), PM me your address and I will ship you my copy so you can see what I am talking about (I WANT IT BACK THOUGH!!! )

John
Runin Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote