Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about Battery as a powersupply

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

Default Question about Battery as a powersupply

I have a question about using a car or tractor battery as a power supply for my fantom dyno...I heard that these types work best, but I heard that you need to keep them on trickle chargers. Now what I was unclear about was is it ok to use the battery while it is being trickle charged? Also do you guys have any recommendations on which batteries(type or brand) are good to use for running the dyno? thanks Jeff
Old 01-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You do not want to keep the trickle charge on when using the battery to power the dyno. Deep cycle batteries work best for powering the dyno. You should be able to pick one up at the local auto parts, Walmart, etc.

Optima makes some of the best batteries money can buy - http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...nfig/home.html
Old 01-23-2007, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

If you have a 12 volt power supply, you can hook that directly to the battery in lieu of a trickle charger... I have a lead acid battery for a dyno, which seems to work well, and is lasting longer than the car/motorcycle battery. Possibly if I had kept the previous battery charged, it may not have been a problem, but those style batteries don't like to be ran down, whereas the lead acid battery has been fine to this point...
Old 01-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

got another non battery related question, but has to do with the dyno...Would I be able to dyno both stock and spec (21t) motors using the same flywheel I have seen that there are two different flywheels... thanks again Jeff
Old 01-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeffbhhs
got another non battery related question, but has to do with the dyno...Would I be able to dyno both stock and spec (21t) motors using the same flywheel I have seen that there are two different flywheels... thanks again Jeff
Yes, the optional wheel is for mods, usually used with motors lower than 19T.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:19 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Another battery option that would be a little cheaper, lighter, and easier to use than the optima would be a 12V 33AH VRLA/AGM battery (http://www.interstatebatteries.com/e...archGroup&js=1) They are deep cycle (which is what you want) they are lighter, and it's $100 less than a optima.

You can go cheaper and run a wet cell deep cycle, like a marine/rv battery but you will have to deal with the mess. They are much cheaper in price though.

But in the end, I would question if you really need a dyno; unless your building motors most club racers don't need one. I don't know of many pro's who do other than a non dyno like a motormaster.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

I just use a 6 cell IB3800 pack to power my fantom dyno and it works great. the dyno only neens 5 volts to run and it can draw as many amps as it wants from the pack. You can run several tests before you need to repeak the pack. I know most people wont beleave that it's that easy, but try it , u'll see what I mean.