Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need some Touring help traction problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

Default Need some Touring help traction problems

Once again I am having some traction problems with my Tc4...I just purchased threaded shocks and new tires yesterday. I trued the tires down to 2.4in all around the car, I am running 40 shore on front and 35 in the rear. I am not 100% sure on what the adjustments on the threaded shocks will do to help or hurt traction and steering...The problem that is happening with my car is that the rear continues to slide out on me and it appears that I am having too much steering, at low and high speeds... I am running copper shocks in front and red shocks in the read, the droop at the front is 6 ( i think) and 5 (i think ) in the rear. The track is oval carpet, and I am using Jack the Gripper compound. Any help that you guys can provide me would greatly be appeatiated, I have a race tomorrow and want to try and get this problem straightened out.. thanks Jeff
Old 01-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i am not real farmiliar with your particular car and how to set it up, but it sounds like your droop may be some of your problem. here is a great referance book that taught me everything i needed to know on how to set up my car, it even gives you the senerios of how your car is reacting in, through and exiting a turn and how to fix them by starting with the most simple change down to the most complex and the order you should do it.....hope this helps, i found mine on ebay a little bit cheaper:

http://www.xxxmain.com/bookz.shtml
Old 01-19-2007, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

as jailhouse says less droop in the front.
stiffer springs in front. softer in rear.
go heavier on the shcok oil. maybe 50 to 60 wt. or more
no traction compound on front tires. try to get it to push then you can start making adjustments to get it to turn in.
maybe orange front tires. go for the harder compound.
check out you racing buddies at the tract to see what set they are running.
run a larger rear spoiler. or adust rear wing for more down force.
There is some info on the oval threat on setting up touring cars for oval.

last suggestion buy a hyperdrive oval pan car. and a protoform oval body. purple fronts or pinks your on and cracking!!
Old 01-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Tech Adept

The car was pushing until I went and made too many adjustments...lol It went from not enough steering to too much steering... I will check the oval section to see if I can find anything there. Thanks for the responses, if anyone else has any more suggestions I would love to hear them the more the better then maybe i can get the car to run well
Old 01-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jeffbhhs
The car was pushing until I went and made too many adjustments...lol It went from not enough steering to too much steering... I will check the oval section to see if I can find anything there. Thanks for the responses, if anyone else has any more suggestions I would love to hear them the more the better then maybe i can get the car to run well
i have been there before.....take baby steps when it comes to setup changes on a touring car. i would go back to your old setup (if you remember it) and start with the suggestions nagatahawk said pretty much in the order he listed, if the first change dosent work, change back and try the next. it sounds like a long drawn out process, but doing it that way will teach you how each change affects the cars handeling and you will be able to understand how to get it perfect for your driving style
Old 01-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

problem is I am doing a lot of those steps I am running 60 wt oil in front 40 in back, riunning softer springs in rear, running harder tires in front...I am convinced it is a droop issue or shock spacing issue, the new threaded shocks have me stumped, can anyone explain how moving adjuster up and down on the shock effects the car? thanks again Jeff
Old 01-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Tech Initiate

from what I understand you do not want to use the aduster, to change the hardness or softness of the ride. I was told just to turn it dow so the spring is not loose, then use the adjustment's to tweek. that is where they really shine.
if your springs need to be harder you get harder spring's, you do not turn the adjuster down, cause that changes the spring rate, and preloades your shocks too much. at least that is what I understand.
On another note do you have swaybars on your car?
Old 01-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

moving the adjuster up and down sets the preload on the spring, which basically controlls ride hieght. move it farther down the body = more preload = more ride hieght. start with a 5mm ride hieght all around, and go from there. more preload in the front is like running a slightly stiffer spring in the front as well, so if you went to, say 5.5mm in the front, and 5 in the rear, you would take some steering out. most people, however, try to keep ride hieght even front to rear
Old 01-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Tech Adept

it normally is used for setting ride height only (after setting droop) but i am not sure how the oval guys use it on a touring car, since running road course everything is pretty much even front to back, left to right. this is how i set my droop/ride height for example, i use 1.5mm droop and 4mm ride hight on my setup for carpet roadcourse:

make sure your droop screws are adjusted out far enough that they are flush with the inside of the a-arm so you are starting even

turn the shock collars all the way down so that there is as much pre-load in the spring as you can

start on the front or rear of the car, it dosent matter, and start turning droop screws evenly until you get to 5.5mm on your ride height gauge and repeat at the other end of the car. make sure after you get to 5.5mm on the ride height gauge that all sides of the car are the same before you go on to the next step or your droop will be off

start backing off the shock collars evenly and keep pushing down on the car as you do this to set the suspension until you get to 4mm on the ride height gauge

this will get you to the 4mm ride height with 1.5mm of droop which may be differant than you want on an oval car, but i am just explaining the concept on how i was taught to do rideheight/droop
Old 01-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I agree with the others that feel this is droop related. I would reduce the amount of rear droop (large adjustment) first and see what happens. The droop in front can increase your steering, but the rear traction is the problem.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You can try an anti roll bar on the front. Is your car the tub chassis or the team version carbon fiber with the center stiffenrer.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Tech Regular

If you want less steering on an oval.......

Crank the RF and LR shock collars down, and the LF and RR collars up. Go easy..........
Old 01-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Tech Adept

tub chasiss I will throw a anti roll bar on there, which color should I use?
Old 01-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On carpet I ran copper springs in the rear with 50w and yellow up front with 70 weight. 3 Hole Pistons.
Droop 5 on front and rear. Using AE Droop guage
Caster block - 4 degrees
Camber - 1.5 f/r

Try moving the battery in the "rear" placement. This will give you less steering.

Could be wrong tires. Ask around to see what everyone else is using.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Sorry jeff not sure? its been awhile I would start thinner to thicker.
Laker has the set up going on, sound's like my old TC3.
I would deffinitly try that 1st and add the anti roll as needed.
The set up he's useing is a pretty balanced set up.
The mm of your tire's is some thing to watch to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.