R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   4wd sedan, motor type? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/145122-4wd-sedan-motor-type.html)

cybcow 01-17-2007 09:13 AM

4wd sedan, motor type?

Why are the 19 turn motors so popular for the 4wd sedan classes? Is this because its more than fast enough for the cars? Or because its a popular class for racing? Or are the 19 turn motors so so and I should run something lower?

I was always under the impression that the lower turn motors ran faster and several years ago I ran a 13 turn double that roasted my 4wd stadium truck tires with out a problem. I love speed but I also don't need my car spinning in circles every time I hit the gas like my stadium truck did. Maybe someone knows of a good article that explains the particulars on electric motors and how there turns effect speed and torque?

Thanks to all for your help as I get back in to the hobby.

Stampede 01-17-2007 10:30 AM

Not sure how many years ago you're referring to but a Komodo 19T would probably smoke your 13x2 from then. 19t is popular because it bridges the gap between stock and mod. I like it because there is actually a decent amount of throttle control required.

k_bojar 01-17-2007 11:05 AM

another reason why the 19T are getting popular is because they offer the best power-to-torque ratio out there...

Stock motors (27T) are mostly torquely and have a good top-end, and an "open" mod motor (10x1, 15x2, etc) off higher RPMs but can (and do) sacrifice the low end grunt that a stock motor has...That's why when you run a low-turn mod, you run a smaller pinion - to help compensate for the lack of bottom end..

This is where the 19T shines...it gives you the grunt on the bottom, to pull your car out of a turn as well as a top-end that (in a lot cases) rivals some of the "open" mod motors...Plus, you are getting way more speed without a lot of the same wear-n-tear an "open" mod racing puts on your equipment (car and comm and brushes)

Obiviously, nothing beats a skilled driver and motor tuner/gearer - but the 19T, like Stampede said, help bridge the gap between lots of top-end and lots of bottom-end

Hope that helps :)

cybcow 01-17-2007 11:09 AM

Yeah I'm talking about 6 years ago I would have purchased it. I haven't been out of the sport, but I have been in nitro and not been up on electric in years and still need to further my learning in the world of electric r/c.

So if 19T is popular now, what kind of motors are modifieds running in these things? Seems at some point too low of a motor would be useless.

cybcow 01-17-2007 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by k_bojar
another reason why the 19T are getting popular is because they offer the best power-to-torque ratio out there...

Stock motors (27T) are mostly torquely and have a good top-end, and an "open" mod motor (10x1, 15x2, etc) off higher RPMs but can (and do) sacrifice the low end grunt that a stock motor has...That's why when you run a low-turn mod, you run a smaller pinion - to help compensate for the lack of bottom end..

This is where the 19T shines...it gives you the grunt on the bottom, to pull your car out of a turn as well as a top-end that (in a lot cases) rivals some of the "open" mod motors...Plus, you are getting way more speed without a lot of the same wear-n-tear an "open" mod racing puts on your equipment (car and comm and brushes)

Obiviously, nothing beats a skilled driver and motor tuner/gearer - but the 19T, like Stampede said, help bridge the gap between lots of top-end and lots of bottom-end

Hope that helps :)

That does help alot, I was thinking about the Komodo Dragon 2 from Trinity but I didn't want to spend the money and be dissapointed at its performance. I will be racing in doors and outside, of course like many I'm sure I will end up with a few motors in my box.

k_bojar 01-17-2007 11:24 AM

as far as what are being run for modified...6x1 and even 5x1 are what the "top" TC drivers are running...

and you're right...at some point all that power becomes useless :)

Grizzbob 01-17-2007 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by k_bojar
as far as what are being run for modified...6x1 and even 5x1 are what the "top" TC drivers are running...

and you're right...at some point all that power becomes useless :)

They're running those, & also more brushless motors(sensored brushless motors are legal to race with brushed motors in modified classes by most racing organizations now), & there are some that just put out CRAZY amounts of power(like Novak's Velociti 3.5 motor, incredibly strong). As for 19 turns, yes, I've heard & seen many good things about the Komodo, & I also still see Reedy Quad Mag 19's & Trinity Chameleon 2's doing well(but the Komodo is definitely the latest). They're a good compromise between stocks & mod, more power & speed than stock, but not too much, & they're also easier on tires & batteries than mods are..... :cool:

cybcow 01-17-2007 12:23 PM

Interesting, I know I will be getting a reedy quad mag 19T with my stuff I ordered as it was thrown in for free so I will try that out and see what I think knowing that the trinity is probably a bit faster. If its not what I expect then I will have to go lower.

As for turns what performance wise changes when you get a single, double or triple?

Grizzbob 01-17-2007 05:26 PM

That tends to have some impact on the torque curve, as singles tend to be a little punchier than double or triples, doubles moreso than triples, quads, etc., & the higher multiples allow for smoother throttle control & slightly better efficiency(which may have as much to do with the smooth throttle response as anything else)...... :cool: