Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
brushed or brushless that is the question??? >

brushed or brushless that is the question???

brushed or brushless that is the question???

Old 01-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default brushed or brushless that is the question???

hey all:i've noticed alot more on and offroad electric mod. drivers running brushless motors and this question popped to mind.will brushless motors over take and or make brushed motors oboslete in mod. electric racing like cd's did to the lp's and cassettes?also will we see brushless versions of stock and 19t brushed motors and will they catch on like the brushless mod. versions have?just a thought and thanks for the info.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Its not a matter of if... just when.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XMSRacing
Its not a matter of if... just when.
Right, though it is proving difficult to come up with a brushless motor that runs EXACTLY the same as a ROAR-legal brushed stocker(has to do with the prodigious torque that all brushless motors put out, today's Novak 13.5 motor is close but it is still more powerful than any ROAR-legal stock).....
Old 01-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Before long its going to be a question of whether we allow brushed motors to run with us in brushless.

Check out the brushless stock vs brushed stock lap times at SoCal. You'll see them almost dead even. Last weekend Craig N. ran both classes and his fast lap times are within a .1 of being the same. (with brushed being faster)
Old 01-15-2007, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

We're finding the same at our club in touring cars. Very little difference between the two in terms of performance however, the brushless rigs seem to have a little more punch and don't suffer from heat fade at the end of a run. The edge on top end goes to brushed motors at this point.

Note that I'm speaking of 27 turn vs. 13.5.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

It seems like R/C aircraft, and boats took the brushless step long ago, R/C cars for whatever reason have lagged behind. Like others have posted its now a matter of when. I predict with the next 2-3yrs all the right marbles will be in place, brushless will be the norm. racing organizatios will forced to make the necessary changes, but by then most clubs and state events will be running Bl anyway. Brushed motors will be included with RTR's and looked down upon, being looked down upon, is what happened to brushless just 1-2 yrs ago. What comes around goes around.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I agree it's not if but when. I'm done with Brushed motors if I can help it. The 13.5 is a great thing for the hobby.

Thankfully, motors and brushes are no longer a consumable item. My pit bag is lighter and I don't feel the need nearly as much motor spray.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Question for those with the brushed vs. brushless comparisons of stock motors and the Novak 13.5. Are the 13.5's being run with bonded or sintered rotors?
Old 01-16-2007, 12:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by schurcr
Question for those with the brushed vs. brushless comparisons of stock motors and the Novak 13.5. Are the 13.5's being run with bonded or sintered rotors?
Personally I'm running the sintered rotor (first rotor failed) but the fastest 13.5 guy at SoCal still has the original rotor in his I believe.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:48 AM
Tech Regular

the novak 13.5 for stock and the novak 4300 10.5 for runs close
Old 01-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HB Moose
Personally I'm running the sintered rotor (first rotor failed) but the fastest 13.5 guy at SoCal still has the original rotor in his I believe.
Same here, I have no experience with the original rotor, but I know mine's strong with the sintered one(got mine at the Novak race & it already came with the sintered one installed, part of the deal they had on 'em there, basically got the sintered rotor for free). Also found out from talking with Bob Novak that the sintered rotor can handle MUCH higher temps than the original can, which is why at the Novak race we were all gearing ours INCREDIBLY tall(Bob said he even tried a final drive ratio of 3.9:1 in his car & said it just kept pulling with no temperature problems)......
Old 01-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The reason I asked this question is that on our 98'x48' carpet track, touring cars runnin the 13.5 are about .02 tenths of a second quicker. I was just hopeing that others out there could substantiate or refute what our results have been.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Tech Addict

Question that is related. Some dude at the LHS today was there looking at brushless motors and some other guy walks up and says "hey dude buy this motor your car will do 80Mph no lie" he them claimed "I beat any Nitro powered car out there with my brushless". Now, is he just talking s*** or is he for real?

Do electric motors make that much power?
Old 01-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dredd
Question that is related. Some dude at the LHS today was there looking at brushless motors and some other guy walks up and says "hey dude buy this motor your car will do 80Mph no lie" he them claimed "I beat any Nitro powered car out there with my brushless". Now, is he just talking s*** or is he for real?

Do electric motors make that much power?
he's speakin truth in an out an out dragrace, it's close but a properly geared 4.5 in a t1m we radared at 60mph. the closest gas truck or buggy ran 43 mph. on the track, I run a b4 ft with a gtb 4300 and lap the 1/10th gas trucks about every 4-5 laps. I'm not any expert drive just an adverage novice.
The advanced drivers smokum even worse. through a lipo in the mix and you can match the run times
Old 01-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Kings Kid
he's speakin truth in an out an out dragrace, it's close but a properly geared 4.5 in a t1m we radared at 60mph. the closest gas truck or buggy ran 43 mph. on the track, I run a b4 ft with a gtb 4300 and lap the 1/10th gas trucks about every 4-5 laps. I'm not any expert drive just an adverage novice.
The advanced drivers smokum even worse. through a lipo in the mix and you can match the run times
Ok that's interesting. Now what about on road? You said truck, but what about say taking a decked out Nitro on-road 1/10th scale car. How does that compare? See this guy came off as some dude who just put a turbo in his civic and thinks he's from fast and furious. He had that attitude so that's why I posed the question here. And he said "Any nitro..." didn't specify if he was talking about a truck or like a car racing on-road.

This is interesting to me because I never thought electric would get so much power. Very cool stuff.

Sorry to sound doubtful and maybe a bit argumentitive, but this guy just seemed like those kids that exaggerate everything way out of proportion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.