R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-08-2003, 11:38 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to unknown
Default I need to be a little faster --- help ---

OK, yesterday was the first time I competed in a race at the local track. Friday nights are free races and Sunday mornings are $10 to race. Friday it is usually people just messin around and there were a few of the guys that usually race on Sunday there too. I race stock and there were a few guys there that I consider "experts" that were racing stock also. One of the guys had pretty much the same setup as me.

TC3
P2K2 Pro

His car seems to have a little more speed than mine. The fastest lap that I pushed was 11 seconds exactly. I was staying consistant in the 11.1 - 11.6 range. How can I make my car faster? Bearings? Upgrade to Factory Team parts? I came in 3rd place in the B-Main (there was A,B,and C Mains) and I came in 9th out of all 18 people running stock.

I have finally got the control of the car down. I can go around the track without hitting a single wall.

Anyone that can give me some advice...go for it!
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 11:53 AM   #2
Tech Elite

It's good that you are consistent. Congratulations !

Are we talking straight line speed or lap times?

Straight line are about gering, free drivetrain, batteries and a good charger. And a well kept motor.

Lap times are mainly about driving skills. There's only one way: Practise, practise and practise.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:58 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

could u describe your set up?
batteries, (i am using old scrc and my car is so slow)
servo, esc ,gearings...
don t waste to much money on f.t. upgrades, it won t really make ur car go faster
utieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 12:22 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by utieh
don t waste to much money on f.t. upgrades, it won t really make ur car go faster
So true, so true....
Old 03-08-2003, 03:43 PM   #5
Tech Adept

I am talking about straight line speed. Like, when I make the turn and hit the back straight away (about 35 feet), car car does go fast. But when I watch some of the other guys hit that staight away (especially the guy that has the same setup as me), his car has a little bit more speed than me.

I don't know what gearing he was running, but this is what I am running:

26 tooth pinion
I believe a 72 tooth spur
(it is the spur that came with the car)

I true my comm every three races and change my brushes

I am running 99-Plus brushes with a red spring on the positive side and a green spring on the negative site.

I am using Trinity Panasonic 3000 Ultra Metal Batteries.

I charge the batteries with the Integy INDI 16X4 Pro Charger

I don't have the bearings...I am using the bushings that came with the RTR kit.
Old 03-08-2003, 04:14 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to -CriMinaL- |RC Send a message via Yahoo to -CriMinaL- |RC

I suggest i buy some bearings then.. they give you a much free-er drivetrain and usually give you abit more speed
-CriMinaL- |RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 04:19 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Claydoh

Ok, you're doing 11.4 sec laps. Only 3-4 secs of that are in the straights. You need to be fast in the corners to really go fast. Hitting the apexes and smooth lines going in and coming out are key. A 72/26 is within the p2k2 range for sure. If you are that confident with your driving, then get bearings and free up the drivetrain. Make sure the diff cases aren't binding. I barely tighten the diff case screws and I filed out the bearing races on mine. Also, if you have the lwt diff's and the thin shim on the diff, toss it.

Just think before you buy any hop-up, "Will this make the car go faster?"
Claydoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 04:39 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to AssociatedRacer

The RTR comes with bearings, rubber sealed ones. There motors are probably faster because they play with them to make them faster, like aligning brush hoods, using better brushes, etc...
AssociatedRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 04:42 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Where are you losing speed? Is it on the straight, coming out of corners, are you scrubbing speed compared to everyone else in the turns, are you taking the best line, or just in oen certain section on the track? It all depends. I was in the same boat as you a few months ago, then I figured out my setup for my car to carry more speed in the corners, and to pick the best lines for my driving style and car. Just practice and you will learn little by little, and don't be afraid to try different things.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:01 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to lilshortyc3

well you should be patient and just keep practicin, you can't try to keep up with the "experts" and not every set-up works with every driver so try different set ups. Also if u get nervous during a race, that could also be the problem but try gettin use to it and take it slowly. It's better goin slow without crashing then going fast with a lot of crashes, it just makes u look like a total newbie. Even if u have faster lap times when crashing... Well gl and nice job racin.
lilshortyc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 11:30 PM   #11
Tech Adept

The main problem is that I don't have a lot of speed on the straight's. The second problem is that when going into a turn and coming out of a turn, the car doesn't seem to to have a lot of speed.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:38 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to RideRed98

does he have foam tires versus your rubber tires or something like that?

i would think bearings in the drivetrain would help tons but i never used bushings b4 so i wouldnt know bout it....

are you running carpet ( i assume you are)

list your setup on the car .....tires make a big difference...at my track us foams guys are over a second a lap faster then the expert rubber tire drivers

motor work makes a big difference as well

check out the difference between your batteries with the fast guys....i have heard batteries make a huge difference in motor speed as well...i run GP3300's and my car has way more speed then the guys here running lower end packs even with the exact same motor....hope this helps
RideRed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 06:32 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to andrew5

what kiind of esc do you have?
andrew5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 08:30 AM   #14
Tech Adept

I am running foams (45 in front 42 in the rear)

And can someone explain to me exactly what "aligning brush hoods" means and how to do it!?
Old 03-09-2003, 09:18 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

it could be something as simple as your battery connectors? or esc. A good speed control can give you lots more power and run time too. Same for some good low resistance connectors. Bearings is probably the best thing you can buy at the moment though.
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote