R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-09-2003, 09:46 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Default I need to be a little faster --- help

Motor and Batteries make a HUGE difference.
We had a racer at the past few races with a B.J. hand tuned P2K and this thing was faster than anything else on the track. He won every qualifier with this Motor by at least a lap. As a test, he swapped that B.J. Motor out for a Monster Stock Pro in one qualifier and finished near the end of the Pack.

I have nothing but 2400 packs and 1 pack that I have is definitely much better than any of my other packs. MY problem is that I just don't have the expertise in Motor tuning that some of the faster Guys have.

Guess what I'm trying to say is..If your getting beat on the straight by a few feet every lap, that's ends up being a big gap in a 18-20 lap race.

Unknown;

What are you charging your batteries at. For 3000's to have the most power, you need to charge them above 5 amps (up to 8) and keep repeaking them until they are very warm (like after a run). This way the I.R. comes down and they have more punch.
For 2400's I usually charge between 5.5-6.5 amps depending on the competition at the track.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 11:18 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to unknown

I charge my 3000's at 4 amps. I will try them at 5 amps this week when I go to practice.

As for my speed control...I am using an LRP Runner Plus.
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 11:23 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Thumbs down I need to be a ALOT faster, Please--- help

unknown;

Bump it up. If you can charge higher than 5A, go for it. Your going to need it in Stock to keep up.

For Mod, you can change winds, so runtime is more a concern, you charge at a lower rate.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:35 AM   #19
Tech Adept

I can chage at 5.5 amps max. I will do that.

Also, AssociatedRacer said that the RTR comes with bearings. If so, what bearings should I upgrade to?

The Teflon Sealed Bearings $99

or

The Racer Bearing Set $41
Old 03-09-2003, 12:02 PM   #20
Tech Elite

If you already got ball bearings, then is the wrong place to spend money..

Listen to pops, and charge at a higher rate. Also listen to Herminator about those connectors. Try these two things first, and see what happens.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:05 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to stoopidbstrd

Quote:
Originally posted by utieh
don t waste to much money on f.t. upgrades, it won t really make ur car go faster
f.t?
stoopidbstrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 12:12 PM   #22
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Along with pure HP, your car may not be carrying corner speed. What suspension setup are you running on your car?...it may not be good for those foams. Also, one of the best combos for foam tires is plaid front tires and purple rears. I'm guessing your driving line my have a lot to do with it too. It's very good if you can go around the track the whole time without hitting the walls...but if you're not cutting the corners even semi-tight then you are losing a lot of time there. Corner entry and exit is key to going fast.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 12:14 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by stoopidbstrd
f.t?
f.t = Factory Team.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:23 PM   #24
Tech Adept

I am using Deans connectors...so connection type isn't the problem. I am not sure if the RTR TC3 kit comes with bearings or bushings all around. I think they are bushings.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:26 PM   #25
Tech Adept

The TC3 RTR kit does come with rubber sealed bearings. So I guess upgrading bearings will make no difference since I already have them.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:14 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

what speedo are you using? some cost twice as many as others for a reason. And as others have said, it could be your driving line and stiffness of setup.
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:04 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Default using an LRP Runner Plus.

unknown;

I'm not sure that going to a more expensive Speedo will make your Car faster. LRP ESC's are usually very good, even the basic ones.
That 4 amp charge rate is going to make you as slow as molasses. Especially with 3000 NiMh's. Crank it up!!! If you do not have a charger that will go over 5 amps, THAT should be your next purchase.

Acer Bearing has Teflon bearing sets for $29 but again I'm not too sure how much you will gain over Rubber sealed bearings.
Buy the RPM Bearing Blaster, Degrease your Bearings with Motor spray (all of them) and Re-lube with Trinity Royal oil Bearing lube (Purple). This will help free up the Drive-line a bit without requiring alot more maintenance.

Last edited by popsracer; 03-09-2003 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:25 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: using an LRP Runner Plus.

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Buy the RPM Bearing Blaster, Degrease your Bearings (all of them) and Re-lube with Trinity Royal oil Bearing lube (Purple). This will help free up the Drive-line a bit without requiring alot more maintenance.
Very good advice Pops'

-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:50 PM   #29
Tech Regular

What is the best way to degrease bearings? Will soaking them in denatured alcohol work? Also, i have a MRC SuperBrain 959, will that be ok for serious racing? I am really on a budget, but i am looking into the Duratrax Intellipeak Digital Pulse. Because it includes a power supply and charges to 6.5 amps. Will this charger be sufficient for me?
My MRC only charges to 4.5, but the batteries seem fast enough for me.

One more question for you "speed demons", can i use denatured alcohol to clean a motor? I am rebuilding the motor, what is the best way to clean the armature and can? I was also thinking to soak in denatured alcohol.
KevanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 08:10 PM   #30
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

The best way to degrease bearings is like Pops said. Blast them out with motor spray and relube them with the bearing oil of your choice. I thought the superbrain 959 went higher than that....but i would not recommend the Intellipeak to you however. The Pulse charging it has over time isn't good for NiMH cells. If you can go for the Reedy AC/DC Quasar Pro charger. Yes, it is like $170, but you get a great charger with lots of features like cycling with discharging up to 20 amps, and charge rate to 6.5 amps, and linear charging . The extra $50 to get the Quasar Pro is well worth it over the intellipeak (plus the intellipeak's power supply is REALLY noisy).

And no, by the way, using denatured alcohol wouldn't be good for a motor (i don't think?). Spray it out with motor spray as well. When you're done, make sure to relube the bushings/bearings with the oil of your choice.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote