R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-15-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Exclamation BEC's and ESC's

I have just purchased an LRP AI runner reverse ESC and noted that there is no BEC included in the unit.

How are people running their cars without BEC circuitry? Are you making up some small nicad receiver packs? Or is there a separate BEC circuit that i can buy .

thanks

ps - I have included a pic of the ESC below
Attached Thumbnails
BEC's and ESC's-picture-1.jpg  
aussie_TA05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

A BEC circuit? You should be able to just plug the ESC into the receiver and it will power everything.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

That's what i thought as well. There is only 1 set of wires coming off the ESC that plug into the receiver - the ones that go into the channel plug slot so the unit gets the control messages from the receiver.

In other ESC's there is a second plug that comes out of the unit that plugs into the battery input terminal on the receiver to provide power to the receiver from the main battery. This one does not.

I built a Kyosho Optima back in the 1980's and there were not many ECC's around back then. We used the old servo operated 3 speed ones. There was a separate BEC circuit included with the kit that would power the radio. Are there any modern day equivalents?
Old 01-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_TA05
That's what i thought as well. There is only 1 set of wires coming off the ESC that plug into the receiver - the ones that go into the channel plug slot so the unit gets the control messages from the receiver.

In other ESC's there is a second plug that comes out of the unit that plugs into the battery input terminal on the receiver to provide power to the receiver from the main battery. This one does not.

I built a Kyosho Optima back in the 1980's and there were not many ECC's around back then. We used the old servo operated 3 speed ones. There was a separate BEC circuit included with the kit that would power the radio. Are there any modern day equivalents?
Not needed, today the one set of wires from the ESC to receiver handle both the control signals & carry electricity from the BEC to power everything. It may not look like it, but the BEC is incorporated in ALL modern speed controls that I know of, so all you need do is plug it in & go have fun....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
Tech Elite

All electronic speed controllers have BEC built in. including yours if you check the LRP website.

Although it is 5V which is lower than most units these days.

They use the one 3wire connector to put power back into the receiver instead of taking it out.

LRP Products etc

Click on your ESC, then click on the 'Technical Specs' on the left hand side.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)

Bad luck on your choice of speedy

These little buggers thermal on sports tuneds!

Not even heavy enough to be a paper weight either.

Don't worry about what I'm doing.
Worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing.

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity."

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Last edited by aussie_TA05; 01-15-2007 at 08:26 PM. Reason: double post
Old 01-15-2007, 08:25 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbob
Not needed, today the one set of wires from the ESC to receiver handle both the control signals & carry electricity from the BEC to power everything. It may not look like it, but the BEC is incorporated in ALL modern speed controls that I know of, so all you need do is plug it in & go have fun....

Thanks -so the three wires are positive, negative and signal right? I will be using an older radio where the battery terminals are on a 2 prong terminal. So what i am thinking is I will have to split the 3 lead wire and run the signal wire to the signal plug on the receiver channel. I will post a photo of my receiver when I get home - at work atm.

BTW - thanks for your help so far :-)
Old 01-15-2007, 10:09 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks -so the three wires are positive, negative and signal right? I will be using an older radio where the battery terminals are on a 2 prong terminal. So what i am thinking is I will have to split the 3 lead wire and run the signal wire to the signal plug on the receiver channel. I will post a photo of my receiver when I get home - at work atm.

No prob, though you won't have to split up the wires, just plug it all into the throttle channel slot on the receiver, & the ESC will take care of everything. One thing to watch for though, if you're using an older receiver, make sure you have the wire pattern correct(back in the day, every radio manufacturer had a different choice of plug wire order, so you had to be ready to convert to suit your radio, but today everyone uses Futaba's "J" pattern, so that's how the wires from the ESC will be set up)...

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:08 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:

Inside the receiver the plugs that plug into the steering, throttle and battery slots are all common inside along the positive, and negative power. ie... you "could" plug your separate battery pack (or OLD SCHOOL power) into the steering channel, or throttle channel, or the battery slot. The receiver wouldn't care where you plugged it in (except you would be using a spot that you otherwise would have used for a servo.

The short of it is this. The plug that comes from the electronic speed controll and goes into the receiver as you can see has three wires. Those three wires as you indicated are positve, negative, and signal. BY plugging this ONE plug into the receiver, you are sending power to the receiver (through the red and black wires) and to your servo (through the same wires). The speedcontroll itself is powered directly from your battery pack.

Does that answer your question?
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:56 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

Talking

Thanks heaps people, you have answered my questions thoroughly!! I have alot of reading up to do - all this new stuff that's out - it's great!!