R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-16-2007, 07:52 PM   #76
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

So far I have bought a 4400 saddle lipo for my BJ4, and a 11.1v 4000Mah for a XXXCR. Both cars have Mamba's Bl systems and work perfectly. It took about a week to get the batts because I wanted 12g wire and Thunder power balancing connectors. I havent noticed any performance differances from my orion 3200/4800 packs. If I could charge at 2C, I would, but my Ice charger wont allow you to set it past 1C.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:01 PM   #77
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbipro View Post
So far I have bought a 4400 saddle lipo for my BJ4, and a 11.1v 4000Mah for a XXXCR. Both cars have Mamba's Bl systems and work perfectly. It took about a week to get the batts because I wanted 12g wire and Thunder power balancing connectors. I havent noticed any performance differances from my orion 3200/4800 packs. If I could charge at 2C, I would, but my Ice charger wont allow you to set it past 1C.
Set the pack capacity to 8800 mah if you are running the 4400s. Then set the max charge to 50% so it can't go over 4400 in the event of an error. This will charge at a 2C rate. This is how most lipo chargers are tricked into 2C rates. You have to remember, it'll lower the charge rate the second it hits 8.4V no matter how much capacity it has put in.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:05 PM   #78
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
Set the pack capacity to 8800 mah if you are running the 4400s. Then set the max charge to 50% so it can't go over 4400 in the event of an error. This will charge at a 2C rate. This is how most lipo chargers are tricked into 2C rates. You have to remember, it'll lower the charge rate the second it hits 8.4V no matter how much capacity it has put in.
we all know what happens when you charge the batteries wrong (dont we kuzo)
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #79
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
we all know what happens when you charge the batteries wrong (dont we kuzo)
Actually charging wrong is step 1. It's step 2 you really gotta watch out for - you know leaving it somewhere.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:11 AM   #80
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

kuzo, I understand what you are saying completely. Is something thats been recommended from Rick howart, or Mr. Black with the Orion batts as well? Is there any charges on the marker that actually do a 2C charge rate without fooling the software?
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:37 AM   #81
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbipro View Post
kuzo, I understand what you are saying completely. Is something thats been recommended from Rick howart, or Mr. Black with the Orion batts as well? Is there any charges on the marker that actually do a 2C charge rate without fooling the software?
MrBlack did mention it in one of the two Orion threads and he's also said you can do 2C charging.

As for a charger that currently does it without the trickery...good question. I'll let someone else answer that.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:45 AM   #82
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Kuzo, when you say "50% of max charge", exactly what charger are you referring to? I use the mrc 977 and the steps are as follows:

enter number of cells-2 for 2s2p you get the drift. This automatically tells the charger to recognize what type of pack (lipo) and the cell configuration.
mah-6000 is what I use
amps-I hit it with the max of 5 amps
time to charge-optional
mv rating-I go gorilla, usually 35 or 40mv

Is there a way I can do the 2c charge rate on the 977??

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:27 AM   #83
Tech Fanatic

I was only referring to the Ice at that time as that's what he said he was using. No idea about the MRC's capabilities in this regard although I did just respond to your MRC/Orion thread with some stuff MrBlack had posted.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #84
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i use a mrc 989. it has a lipo max charge rate of 1.25c. though, i can fool it by saying it has about double the capacity. example:

i have a 4000 mah lipo. i tell the charger its 8000.

i set the rate to 8A. the chager allows it.

the pack charges completely, and reches 8.4 volts, and then sustains it. therfor, the pack cant be overcharged. thats assuming its rated at 2c charging though...

i dont think the 977 has such a high rate of charge available. and you mentioned MV rating? lipo's dont peak! if you are adjusting pmv on a lipo, your asking for an accident!

cheers!
Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #85
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan View Post
i use a mrc 989. it has a lipo max charge rate of 1.25c. though, i can fool it by saying it has about double the capacity. example:

i have a 4000 mah lipo. i tell the charger its 8000.

i set the rate to 8A. the chager allows it.

the pack charges completely, and reches 8.4 volts, and then sustains it. therfor, the pack cant be overcharged. thats assuming its rated at 2c charging though...

i dont think the 977 has such a high rate of charge available. and you mentioned MV rating? lipo's dont peak! if you are adjusting pmv on a lipo, your asking for an accident!

cheers!
On the mv, oh. Guess that is something that carried over from my sub c days and I have been doing it since converting to lipo. I read it somewhere to have it at 25 mv, so I just bumped it to 35-40mv. Now I will leave it at what it defaults to. The highest amperage is 5 on the 977. Now, here is the question, my charger goes rather high, can I tell it the pack is say an 12000 mah, bump the amps to 5, set the cell rating for 2 (of course) and hit start without biting my nails to the nubs?

Old 08-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #86
Tech Master

Quote:
I was only referring to the Ice at that time as that's what he said he was using. No idea about the MRC's capabilities in this regard although I did just respond to your MRC/Orion thread with some stuff MrBlack had posted.
Saw that, thanks.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #87
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
MrBlack did mention it in one of the two Orion threads and he's also said you can do 2C charging.

As for a charger that currently does it without the trickery...good question. I'll let someone else answer that.
the charger to get is the FMA/Kokam Scorpion 2S charger. Its LIPO charger that can charge up to 12V! Its about $70, and another optional $20 for its balancer cable for Orion 3200 and 4800 packs. This charger is awesome and can charge the LIPO to 90% capacity in 15 minutes and balances at the same time. Mr. Black endorses it and has spoken highly of it in the threads before...Now 15 minute safe charge times are easy and more track time.

Here's the link to it:

http://fmadirect.com/Products.htm?cat=32&nid=24

Hope it helps...
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:07 AM   #88
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You can also get the GFX LiPo update if you have a GFX sitting around.
This will also charge up to 12 amps if you want or need it to.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #89
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoman View Post
You can also get the GFX LiPo update if you have a GFX sitting around.
This will also charge up to 12 amps if you want or need it to.
Will it do it at 2C as a setting or do you have to trick it by doubling capacity?
Old 08-17-2007, 11:52 AM   #90
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Someone mentioned earlier that they didn't like where the wires came out the side of the battery. I was just on their site and the pics show it coming from the top which should make for easier installation. Will they come that way if I order one?
4wheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote