R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-26-2007, 04:30 AM   #46
Tech Adept

here is my mods to fit maxamps 8000 in my evo V

my firt experience was not cool , i had a frontal crash and the battery did not handle it right, the upper 2 cells slided few milimeters to the front, i did put foam in the front down battery holder to portect of frontal crashes but because the foam ws only in the down part, the two upper cells slided , nothing serious as you can move them back but this thing could be avoid if maxamps guys buit it with double side tape between each cell i think
DrKucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #47
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

That looks fantastic!

where did u get the blue knuckles for the evo 5? are new kingpins needed to use those? Can you give more detail on how the aluminum plate is secured to the car?

thanks dr. kucho. its a fantastic looking car. how much run time can u get out of it? what charger do you charge the battery with?
Spintec
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #48
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
That looks fantastic!

where did u get the blue knuckles for the evo 5? are new kingpins needed to use those? Can you give more detail on how the aluminum plate is secured to the car?

thanks dr. kucho. its a fantastic looking car. how much run time can u get out of it? what charger do you charge the battery with?
glad you like it , the alu plate is secured by only the boby clips, its enought to keep it tigh as there is no slop between battery and au plate, i needed to unscrew the metal body clips holders a little bit to get the battery in

here you can see more pics

the blue alu knucles are by SQUARE , they did it for evo IV but as you probably know they share same knucle so it fits just perfect,good news are they are light and very strong ( i crashed the car many times and they look just perfect) bad news are they are expensive .

theese one are cheaper, and maybe strongers as they are alloy ones

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=23174

or there are also knucles by TOPCAD i just daw them on rc-mart but looks like somebody bought the last stock because it is not showing up anymore , t was 8.5 dollars if i remember well

i shoud post this on TBV forum ...
Old 03-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #49
Tech Adept

ah , i forgot , i use duratrax ICE to charge them
Old 03-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #50
Tech Adept

would the mrc superbrain 989 charge lipos and how long does it take to charge a pack?anyone?
civiceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #51
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

SOrry for the numerous questions, but u have almost the exact car that i want! On the alu plate, (near the spur gear end), why do u need 2 screws to secure an extra small piece of alu plate there? Is it because that's the only place u can secure the end there with a bobby pin? how much runtime per 8000mah? i am so curious to find out. How many C's can u charge at?
Spintec
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:48 PM   #52
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmach1man
anybody have experience with the Hyperion chargers?? or Thunderpower charger as seen on Maxamps?? I know a lot of guys like the ICE charger, but I want something much more versatile in charging larger batteries. so what do you all recommend for lipo's?
I have the Hyperion 1210 charger and the LBA10 balencer and they are great. there is a separate data port that connects between the balencer and the charger so the charger will display all the battery charging info you could ever need. You can also hook up 2 of the LBA's in series and charge 2 packs at the same time with one charger. If you ever plan on having 2 lipo chargers then I would get the hyperion 1210, it will save you money in the long run. It also charges at 2c, and charges all your nimh just like all the others.

I dont see why peple try to pinch their pennies when it comes to buying a GOOD lipo charger. You only have to buy it once and you will have it for years. what is an extra 100 bux spread over 5 years compared to what you spend on new wheels and tires every month!

Is it just me or does anyone else have a hard time buying anything that says Duratrax on it??
Old 03-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #53
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

This maybe a dumb question but here it is, I bought a maxamps 6000 lipo pack, so does this mean that I should charge at 6 amps maximum and be safe? I have an ICE charger which I am going to use for charging and I also have a temp sensor and I am looking at buying the LAB10 balancer also. Thanks for any reply or input.
429racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:55 PM   #54
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429racer
This maybe a dumb question but here it is, I bought a maxamps 6000 lipo pack, so does this mean that I should charge at 6 amps maximum and be safe? I have an ICE charger which I am going to use for charging and I also have a temp sensor and I am looking at buying the LAB10 balancer also. Thanks for any reply or input.
With the ICE you set the capacity and voltage and it automatically charges at 1C. Some say you can fake it to charge at 2C but I always charge a 1C to be safe (wouldn't be able to do 2C on an ICE with a 6000 anyway). I can easily run an entire race night on one charge so why risk gettting a few less cycles out of the battery by charging at a higher rate.

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:19 AM   #55
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
SOrry for the numerous questions, but u have almost the exact car that i want! On the alu plate, (near the spur gear end), why do u need 2 screws to secure an extra small piece of alu plate there? Is it because that's the only place u can secure the end there with a bobby pin? how much runtime per 8000mah? i am so curious to find out. How many C's can u charge at?
im using cutted stock battery holders 51254 , the rear battery holder has the post too inward for my alu plate so i had to add that extra alu piece, but anyway , better wait for 2.0 version of my lipo holder as i realized the car is extremly unbalanced now , this is because the lipo is very outward, i am doing the new mods lifting the upper deck with spacers so the lipo can move inward and i hope i wont need the extra alu piece anymore , will see...

runtime? i dont know my first lipo day was a dissaster , i got problems with the smart stop (it made my car crash 3 times , read novak brushless system forum for info) , got problems with bebel gears.. no spares , then go home ... i didnt do even two laps to the track !!

charging with ice? i charge 8 amps (1C), its the maximum ice can charge so you are safe even if you dont want LOL , it charge at 8A till the battery voltage reach 8.4 , here you are 80% (aprox) full , then the charger goes the amps down automatically to keep 8.4v all the time, it keeps the amps going down slowly, allways 8.4 , till it reaches 0.1 amps then the charge is done 100%, that process is slow, you can take 1 hour to reach 80% and then another hour to get 100% , but with such capacity you dont need to be full charged all the times, in a rush you can just use 80% and have tons of runtime.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:39 AM   #56
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by padailey
With the ICE you set the capacity and voltage and it automatically charges at 1C. Some say you can fake it to charge at 2C but I always charge a 1C to be safe (wouldn't be able to do 2C on an ICE with a 6000 anyway). I can easily run an entire race night on one charge so why risk gettting a few less cycles out of the battery by charging at a higher rate.
Cool, thanks for the info! Lipo NEWBIE here.
429racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:09 AM   #57
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have issues with fitting LiPo packs in the Xray 007. I've seen a Maxamps 4000mAh pack. It seems extremely slick according to their site it is like 14mm tall. What is the reason of the 5000HV battery being 20mm tall?
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:57 AM   #58
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvt01
I've seen a Maxamps 4000mAh pack. It seems extremely slick according to their site it is like 14mm tall. What is the reason of the 5000HV battery being 20mm tall?
The 4000 pack is made up of 2 4000 mah cells, each 6mm tall. 12mm + shrink =14mm.

The 5000 pack is made up of 2 5000 mah cells, each 9mm tall. 18mm + shrink = 20mm.

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Electric off-road has been dead in my town for years and I have to drive two hours to the closest racetrack whenever I need a fix. As a side project this summer, I've decided to do a little "nitro hunting" closer to home. I'm going to race against mt's and 1/10 nitros with a T4 powered by the maxamps 8000 lipo and an LRP 7.5. I haven't bought the pack yet because I'm still waiting for AE to finally ship out some T4 kits. I sure would like to see a picture of a "20 Minute Main" truck in the meantime to see how the battery fits in the T4. I've been told that all I need to do is get some longer screws and put some washers on them, but I'd still like to see a picture. Anyone?
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:06 PM   #60
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain
what are you guys using for your safe storage methods? I heard of ceramic pottery bowls with a bag of sand on the battery if it vents. Also the liposack and battery bunker (seperate thread on that posted, please post your thoughts).

Just trying to go with the best method.
Nothing. Just charge the pack, disconnect from charger, ensure it isnt on anything that could promote static electricity (carpet, shag rugs) and leave it alone. The pack isnt a half crazed tazmanian devil on valium...to wit, it wont suddenly awaken and wreak havoc! I have been with the same 6000 MaxAmp pack since this past summer. It has been ejected in crashes several times AND my Pro4 has been run over while running in the street. If this hasnt set this thing ka-boom, trust me, it's safe to sit around your barn until you are ready to rock. If you are that nervous, get a ceramic tub to sit it in while not in use.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote