Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MaxAmps Lipo Thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by padailey
Are you taking into account their 5% discount you get when you order. Also after you break $100 in orders you get 10% off. I know some of their stuff is a little more than other places but the batteries are good and inexpensive. Also how many places send hand written thank you notes. I got one with my purchase and then one at Xmas. To me that's worth a couple bucks just knowing they appreciate my business and are trying to keep it.
yes i gues thats their way to make little more money cuase they are making not much profit on their batteries, their lipo prices are the best worldwide period
Old 03-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

fianlly got my two maxamps lipo 8000 batts and a LBA balancer

still not used , i just connect the bateries to the balancer and both batts seems to be unbalanced as it drains current on both cell 2 ... blinking led all the time, i let the balancer work but it is taking lmore time than expected ... how long should take ?

this is werid, i didnt expect a new pack to be unbalanced as everybody says that "balancing is not really necessary" , "packs came already balanced" etc etc
Old 03-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Talking HV Cells

What's the difference between the MaxAmps HV cells and the non-HV? Is the HV supposed to mean High Voltage? THe numbers on the HV cells seem more powerful than the regular cells, and pretty much the same price...please enlighten us MaxAMPS veterans!!
Old 03-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Nice to see a Lipo thread specific to maxamps. would be cool if we could get them to post there. Also would be cool if a seperate forum was about brushless and lipos in one place as would miss the onroad comments on lipos in offroad threads.

May amps will build you packs with the wires coming out the top. Just not sure where it comes out.

Anyway, I called maxamps to see about getting that Apache balancer they have but they told me they won't be getting anymore in and will be switching to a Polyquest balancer. They even showed me it on another site (RCLIPO) and said the price initially was better than what they had ($30 shipped new) and said to go with that till they officially cut over from the apache.

That really floored me, never had someone selling a product recommend going with another till they got there price in line. Was pretty impressed by that. They also were most helpful with all my lipo questions.

I was told that they are not using a copper tab method instead of the previous one, which I guess helps with more voltage?

I am right now torn between getting a 6000mah pack versus a 8000mah pack. I will be using this battery only for my 4wd E buggy, none others except maybe some NIMH packs for extended practice, and thats a big maybe.

Assuming 3 heats, 1 main, time between to repeak, I am not thinking I will need a larger mah pack. What do you guys think? will be running either a 19 turn brushed motor or mamba max 5700.

Also, what do you guys do for your safe storage of the battery packs? I was thinking of either picking up a pyrex bowl/dish with a cover and storing the pack with a bag of sand on it. so if it vents, the sand as I understand it should neutralize the pack when it melts it bag, and the pyrex should control any flame bursts. Also, I figure if its sealed well enough, the oxygen would be used up quicking in the dish. either a pyrex dish or a small grill to keep them in

Next, how far does the wire jut out of the pack that you can't bend back? trying to see if I need to order the out the top configuration since this will be in an e-buggy.

Finally, Can someone measure the weight difference between there 6000mah pack / 8000mah pack and a GP3300 and any of the IB packs? Trying to see how much weight I need to add in.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

One 6000 will do you fine... depending on your driving style you could very possibly go all day with one charge (I've gone 33 mins with a 4300 foam TC and a 6000 battery). So just putting a little charge on inbetween rounds one 6000 would do you just fine. I'm going by memory here (which isn't always that good anymore) but I think my 6000 was about 75 grams less than a set of GP 3300's. As far as the wires go they kinda come out of the corner of the pack so you would need either a little room on the side or in front. I would think out the top might work a little better but I haven't seen one with wires out the top so I don't know for sure.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Tech Adept

well , the balancer just stops balancing the first lipo 8000 it took aproximately 1 hour
Old 03-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DrKucho
well , the balancer just stops balancing the first lipo 8000 it took aproximately 1 hour
My packs have never shown out of balance using my balancer. I guess I wouldn't be too worried unless it gets that way on a regular basis. A quick call to MaxAmps certainly wouldn't hurt though.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Tech Adept

which balancer do you have?

i prefer to email instead doing international phone calls
Old 03-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

what are you guys using for your safe storage methods? I heard of ceramic pottery bowls with a bag of sand on the battery if it vents. Also the liposack and battery bunker (seperate thread on that posted, please post your thoughts).

Just trying to go with the best method.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Tech Rookie

anybody have experience with the Hyperion chargers?? or Thunderpower charger as seen on Maxamps?? I know a lot of guys like the ICE charger, but I want something much more versatile in charging larger batteries. so what do you all recommend for lipo's?
Old 03-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DrKucho
which balancer do you have?
Apache SM-505 Smart Balancer

Originally Posted by Cain
what are you guys using for your safe storage methods? I heard of ceramic pottery bowls with a bag of sand on the battery if it vents. Also the liposack and battery bunker (seperate thread on that posted, please post your thoughts).
I think most of what you mentioned are what guys are using to charge in but suppose they could be used for storage also. Most common I've heard of are ammo boxes and lipo sacks.

Originally Posted by xmach1man
anybody have experience with the Hyperion chargers?? or Thunderpower charger as seen on Maxamps?? I know a lot of guys like the ICE charger, but I want something much more versatile in charging larger batteries. so what do you all recommend for lipo's?
A guy at our track uses the Hyperion EOS5i DP Charger and it works fine but only up to a max of 5 amps. The Hyperion EOS1210i Charger and Thunder Power 1010C Charger look pretty good but the TP appears to only do Lipos but they both will go up to 10 amps. The Hyperion looks like you can charge two at once... that's kinda cool. However the ICE will do up to 8A, Nimh, Nicad, motor break in and costs less. It doesn't take much to charge a lipo as far as a charger goes as long as it is designed for lipos. It really just depends on what you want for features... there a $70 chargers which will charge your lipo just as well as any I've listed... just pick what features you want and how much you want to spend.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:36 PM
jaz
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by xmach1man
I really don't understand why anybody would think the ICE wasn't versatile. It's one of the most versatile chargers out there, and it's probably THE most versatile charger in its price range...
Old 03-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Tech Adept

would the mrc superbrain 989 charge lipos and how long does it take to charge a pack?anyone?

Last edited by civiceg; 03-26-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cain

Just trying to go with the best method.
I don't know if this is the best method(or even an effective one)... but I'm using fire and waterproof storage containers (safes) that you can find in a Lowes or Office Depot. One of the containers is small enough to hold just the batteries I have, and the other can hold my entire Evo V chassis (the pack is servo taped to the chassis and will be removed infrequently). I do have to detach the front bumper and loosen the rear body posts and rotate them down into the chassis in order for it to fit, but it seems to work...

Pretty sure a 4WD offroad wouldn't fit in the container I currently have, but you may not have to servo tape the lipos into the chassis of one of those anyways....

I'm not sure if this is effective because I don't know if the container has been tested to contain fire within it as well as repell it from getting in... I assume the container is airtight so fire can't get in...so I'm hoping that fire can't get out either... Anything is better than having the car out in the open though....

Anyways, That's what I'm doing.....
Old 03-26-2007, 03:08 AM
Tech Master

Justinian,

Just curious, does the 8000mah maxamps fit on the evo V chassis? Got a picture?? thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.