R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Dead Motor

Hi All,

I've installed a brand new Tamiya Sport Tune Motor on my TT01 with stock TEU101BK ESC but over-geared and cause a thermal shutdown. Now, the motor is worse than the stock silver can. I've read somewhere over the forum that the heat usually demagnetize the magnet inside the motor and thus, the performance droped. Anyone know how to revive the motor or can rubbing a stronger magnet over the motor magnet can recharge the motor magnet??

All feedback is appreciated.
Benny Lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good luck with that one. How do the windings look? Blue? They can overheat and develope shorts from the broken down insulation. Hows the brushes and commutator? If you overheat a motor, there's probably more that can go wrong than just weakening the magnet.

Rubbing, I doubt it. I read about magnet zapping, a device that creates a strong field to restore a magnet, but I don't know if you can fix one that has been overheated. Check out the windings, brush and commutator before you consider spending any more time on this motor.
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Thanks for the reply. It's a brand new motor and only used for a few days bashing. The first day, everything is fine. Second day onwards, no power. Everything looks okay to me except the performance.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

The Black-can Sport Tuned motors are notorious for burning out quickly if you overgear them. We go through tons of them during our TCS races.. They'll burn out and do exactly what you described, run very sluggish. I've even seen the brushes turn bright orange.

You're better off with a rebuildable motor or a silver can.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Are you sure the motor is to blame? Overgearing enough to cause a "thermal shutdown" sounds to me like the esc is what was overheated. If there is no visual evidence the motor burnt up I would start looking into the possiblity you damaged the esc.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubbs3
Are you sure the motor is to blame? Overgearing enough to cause a "thermal shutdown" sounds to me like the esc is what was overheated. If there is no visual evidence the motor burnt up I would start looking into the possiblity you damaged the esc.
First I thought it's the ESC as well. Then, I installed another new Sport Tune motor and I gear down to 21T/58T (previously 22T/58T) and everything is fine (until now). I can confirm it's not the ESC. I let my friend tried that motor on his M03, it's the same. No power.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:00 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Lai
First I thought it's the ESC as well. Then, I installed another new Sport Tune motor and I gear down to 21T/58T (previously 22T/58T) and everything is fine (until now). I can confirm it's not the ESC. I let my friend tried that motor on his M03, it's the same. No power.
how can with those gearing (22T/58T) can cause an overgear situation??? me and other tt-01 user often use (25T/55T) for running Sport tuned motor in Tamiya Series....and the motor works very good and can be use for about 2 - 3 series. maybe you can start re-build your drive train..i'm affraid there is something binding on them. just my 2 sen
Old 01-15-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

Seems like gearing is good, I second on checking the drivetrain. It shouldn't be burning up like that.
However, I've had some motors burn up for no apparent reason, they're not tolerant at all of extra drag or overgearing.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Thank you guys for all the feedbacks. As far as I know, 22T, 23T and 24T pinion with 58T spur is okay with TT01. However, the motor just give way. The drive train also seems okay. No binding at all.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Hi Guys,

Changed the pinion gear to 22T and the "new" motor is gone case again just after a few run. I've check the motor after every run and it's okay. Can anybody enlighten me on what's wrong with my car. Others are running on 23T and 24T without problem.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:29 PM   #11
KoE
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via Yahoo to KoE

benny...remove the pinion/motor and check if your TT01 can roll freely on its own. Check/rebuild your drivetrain components if your car won't roll. Internal drag kills motor/esc yada yada
Old 01-21-2007, 09:32 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoE
benny...remove the pinion/motor and check if your TT01 can roll freely on its own. Check/rebuild your drivetrain components if your car won't roll. Internal drag kills motor/esc yada yada
Thanks for your reply KoE,

I've done that and found no problem with it. Even my local Tamiya distributor confirm that.