R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-06-2003, 08:18 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to unknown
Default Foams are separating from the wheel...can I use CA?

Can I use a tad bit of CA to glue the foam tire back on the wheel? It is just the outer part of the foam that is coming separated.
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 08:46 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ya you should be fine, just dont use real super thing stuff as the foam will soak it right up. what brand are the tires? Jaco?

[email protected]
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 09:17 PM   #3
Tech Adept

SpeedMind

And all I have is the thin stuff.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:19 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you can try the thin stuff but not sure how it will affect the foam as it soaks it up, it could create a hard spot on the tire...

[email protected]
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 10:04 PM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

It's better to use either thick CA or, better, to use a good quality contact cement - apply to both surfaces, let dry a bit and then stick together (just like the directions say)
Old 03-06-2003, 10:28 PM   #6
Tech Adept

The funny thing is that the only two foams that are coming separated are the two rears. The one rear tire started to chunk the last time I ran the car. It was probably due to the tire coming separated from the wheel. Is there any way I can prevent this from happening again in the future?
Old 03-06-2003, 10:31 PM   #7
Tech Adept

I don't want to replace just the rears either because race day is tomorrow and that will throw my whole setup off. It seems that everything bad happens to me the day before race day!
Old 03-07-2003, 10:04 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Just glue them back and you should be fine.

Remember that we tend to wear the rears faster than the fronts so they're taking a lot of side forces. They will want to peel just a bit, so check on them every race.

It's worse with 1/10th pan car - just think, you're using 45/40 shore tires, we're using 28. . .
Old 03-07-2003, 10:11 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Leon

Try slow CA glue. Hobby Town sells it. It's called "Slow Jet." It's described as extra thick CA glue. A friend showed me how to mount foams using this, it's sticks very well.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 10:18 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by unknown
The funny thing is that the only two foams that are coming separated are the two rears. The one rear tire started to chunk the last time I ran the car. It was probably due to the tire coming separated from the wheel. Is there any way I can prevent this from happening again in the future?

If you tires are seperating in the rear. You need to change your setup to be a little softer in the rear. Your asking to much of your tires for rear side traction. Your goal when setting up the car is even wear across all tires and as little wear as possible. If you tires burn up quick your setup is to stiff.. it may feel great but you are putting to much emphasis on the tires to perform. So as the race goes on and compounds break down your reaction changes.

After every race I always check each tire and reglue any seperation that may be forming. I prefer a beed of glue around the edges of the foam to help prevent traction roll.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:01 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by ChristopherKee
If you tires are seperating in the rear. You need to change your setup to be a little softer in the rear. Your asking to much of your tires for rear side traction. Your goal when setting up the car is even wear across all tires and as little wear as possible. If you tires burn up quick your setup is to stiff.. it may feel great but you are putting to much emphasis on the tires to perform. So as the race goes on and compounds break down your reaction changes.

After every race I always check each tire and reglue any seperation that may be forming. I prefer a beed of glue around the edges of the foam to help prevent traction roll.
Much of this depends on driving style. I tend to pitch my car around corners and this places a lot of wear on the rears so they develop more "pull away" than do my fronts. I'm faster driving this way than I am with a balanced setup.

Just the nature of the beasts, slightly "loose" in the rear is faster. No controversy in this. But it does mean that the rears are GOING to wear just a touch faster. The rear end has to do a lot of work to stay behind the front. . .

Separations are normal for foams. I haven't yet had a set (nitro or Pan) that I don't have to tend to. Rears more than fronts, usually.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:11 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

I've only had one or two TIRES that have seperated. Probably because i don't pitch my car in corners...faster that way.... Just get some thick CA when you get to the track and let the tires drive for a while. Another note...is there a reason that you are running Speedmind foam tires? The new TRC's definitely hook up, as do Jacos.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 09:55 AM   #13
Tech Elite

so do the speedminds (I have been told that the UFRAs are based on Speedmind)

There isn't a single brand of good tires.

Also - pitching the car can be far faster than just driving it around the corner . . . watch the 1/8th scales (yeah, they're different cars, but just look at them). I've timed myself and I am definitely faster, by like a second a lap. . .

Also, look at tire wear. It says something when you put a lot of wear on the tire, it says you're working the tire. If you don't put a lot of stress on the tire then you're not at the limit and not going as fast as you could be.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:08 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I guess you dindn't see Days of Thuhder...

Remember that part where he says give me 10 laps your way and 10 laps mine.. Then he came off the track the second way a faster and less tire wear

hehe
Old 03-12-2003, 03:29 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by ChristopherKee
I guess you dindn't see Days of Thuhder...

Remember that part where he says give me 10 laps your way and 10 laps mine.. Then he came off the track the second way a faster and less tire wear

hehe
Yep, I did see it. Great flick! (Although it really is only Top Gun on four wheels. . .)

It's also a different type of racing. . . they don't use four-wheel-drive, one-way fronts or solid rears, nor do they use foam rubber tires, etc etc etc.

I'm not talking about an unnatural amount of wear. I'm talking about what is fairly normal.

Remember, also, that Nascar tires run for about 50-80 miles TOTAL and then they're done, forever. That's a LOT faster wear(proportionally) than we do, even at our worst.