Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Rubber Tire Traction Reduction >

Rubber Tire Traction Reduction

Rubber Tire Traction Reduction

Old 01-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Rubber Tire Traction Reduction

I am running a spec class, touring/rubber on carpet. The carpet has very high traction. Since it is a spec class, we really cnat change the car. I am running 26mm HPI X Patterns with stock inserts without traction compound. The tires stick too much and are causing traction rolling. I am looking for a tire that will provide less traction and let me slide a bit in the turns.

Can you list a few tires that I might want to try out? Or something that a can treat the tire with to reduce traction?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

First thing I would try is to sauce the front tires only. That might give you so much steering that it actually loosens up the rear end.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by patrick
First thing I would try is to sauce the front tires only. That might give you so much steering that it actually loosens up the rear end.
Yeah, that was my first thought also....traction roll.

I think I am going to add firm inserts.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Put a layer of ca glue on the tire sidewalls. more so in the front
Old 01-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Raffaelli: What kind of touring car? My first instink is a combo 24 rear 28 front sorex.
That will get the car to have some push if thats the slideing your talking about, or even help balance the car. It would help to know your car and a brief set up.
You say spec, but it sounds like any tire is ok, so try CS 27, or CS 22 27 combo. If the car can not be tweaked you'll probably need a combo. Or even a 24. The hobby shop should be able to set you up to. What's the fastest man in the class running? The harder the compound the free'r the car. Trial and error. I dont know anything about HPI tire's sorry. Good luck.
Oh and a brief discriptoin of the spec's
We have 40000 people on here, I'm sure you'll find a set up that can work.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Also check your chassis, if its to flexible we may be talking stiffness instead of tire's.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default tune it like a truck!

As an expert in the traction roll department, you could also look into a little more negative camber in the rear, and a a slightly lower roll center/longer camber links.

I drive offroad truck and with those big squishy tires, and bumpy corners these two adjustments can save the day. Just watch out, you can lose forward traction if you go too far. Also, if you mess with rear roll center too much you may have to tend to the front.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Raffaelli,

Can you define the parameters around the "spec" class? For example, the spec class I used to run in called out specific tires (CS-27 at the time) and a specific motor (P2K). In this class we could alter the chassis and suspension tuning for the track.

One of the other posts sounds like your spec class may be different in that you cannot modify the car's setup.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for all the information. I don't have that much experience with rubber tires (normally run foam on carpet and foam on blacktop).

The spec rules are as follws: Tamyia TT-01 chassis driven the way it comes on the box, no updates, no modifications. 27T, any rubber tire with any insert, 3300 stick pack, body style from 1972 or older.

I ran it for the first time this past weekend using HPI 4495 X Patterns and stock insert, no compound.

I am currently the fastest, but I know I can be faster if I can loose some outside traction in the turns

Old 01-09-2007, 08:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

try armor all?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by raffaelli
Thanks for all the information. I don't have that much experience with rubber tires (normally run foam on carpet and foam on blacktop).

The spec rules are as follws: Tamyia TT-01 chassis driven the way it comes on the box, no updates, no modifications. 27T, any rubber tire with any insert, 3300 stick pack, body style from 1972 or older.

I ran it for the first time this past weekend using HPI 4495 X Patterns and stock insert, no compound.

I am currently the fastest, but I know I can be faster if I can loose some outside traction in the turns

Raffi run the take off's you be alriaght. When we ran open tire here in Florida the hot set up was pits tires with firm inserts. 32 front 30 in the rear. Hope this helps. Use paragon.

Another thing to reduce traction is jack the gripper, and you will be surprized how well you'll hookup using wd-40 for traction!!