here ya go from CRC's web site...

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 03:06 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

sorry---

CRC's White Dished TC Wheel (26+30mm)
Part # Description Application Also know as. (other mfgs designation)
2129 26mm Dual Compound Front Carpet Front - Occasionally Asphalt Front "Plaid" or Purple/Orange
2130 26mm F6 Front High bite Asphalt Front Tire Red, 50+ shore (very hard)
2131 26mm F5 Front Asphalt Front Tire Red, 42-49 Shore (firm) - 45 degrees
2132 26mm F4 Front Asphalt or Concrete Front Tire Red, 36-42 Shore (med) - 40 degrees
2133 26mm F3 Front Asphalt or Concrete Front Tire Red, 30-35 Shore (soft) - 35 degrees
2134 26mm R6 Carpet or Asphalt Front "Double Purple" or Hard Purple (super hard) X-50 High
2135 26mm R4 Carpet Front or Rear, Asphalt Rear "Purple" or 36-40 shore R rubber (medium) - 40 degrees
2136 26mm R3 Carpet Front or Rear, Asphalt Rear "Magenta" or 30 - 35 shore R rubber (soft) - 35 degrees
2137 30mm R5 Carpet or Asphalt Rear "Firm Purple" 42 - 47 Shore R rubber (hard) - 45 degrees
2138 30mm R4 Carpet or Asphalt Rear "Purple" 36-40 shore R rubber - (medium) - 40 degrees
2139 30mm R3 Carpet or Asphalt Rear "Magenta" 30-35 shore R rubber (soft) - 35 degrees
2140 30mm R2 Carpet or Asphalt Rear "Pink" 27 - 32 shore R rubber (very soft) - 30 degrees

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 03:15 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Here's what I know:
-Speedmind foams are typically a little harder than the advertised shore
-No two foams of the "same" rating are actually the same. For example, two Jaco Purple tires could be different by 3-4 shore points. Factory drivers take tires before they are packed, and using a durometer, match their tires. Im not sure if Factory TC guys do that, but I know the oval guys do.

Hope that helps.
RC Paperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 03:56 PM   #19
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

At Jaco, Jack personally durometers and picks what batches of rubber will be used for a certain compound, This attension to detail is why most racers don't feel the need to "re match" their Jaco tires. so in other words we manufacture a little different... we have a tollerance or spec that we keep within but we mount based on the sheeted foam and package in group so each tire in the box was made from the same sheet. (if that makes sence)

Its an extra step but we feel that it is worth while to provide that constistancy to our customers. I can only speak for Jaco as I am not familar with the proceedures of the other companies.

you really can't compare the two companies ( Jaco & TRC) we both use simular color coding but we both have different specs and proceedures. That is why some racers feel our tires in certain compounds feel different between the two companies.

the oval guys almost never run the same tire side to side. so they are sometimes looking for a extra few points of hardness within the spec to suite a certain track.

Korgae
Jaco.
Korgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 09:21 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Default Foam Density Comparisons

What my Friend and I have found, is that Most Foams will read about 5 Shore higher than what the package says. This is with the PTC Shore gauge in the proper range for checking our Foam R/C tires.
Someone else online has also stated that they have seen this too.

I think it's more important to know the differences in compounds, more than the exact shore. If a pair of TRC, DP's read 45 Shore and a pair of 40SH Mugens read 45, they're probably pretty close to having the same grip on the track, assuming a similar type of Foam.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 09:27 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Default Korgae;

Just out of curiosity,

Do you know what the NORMAL manufacturing tolerance is for the Raw Foam as delivered from the supplier? Plus or Minus what % ?

Thanks,
Old 03-06-2003, 10:09 PM   #22
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer
Default Re: Korgae;

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Just out of curiosity,

Do you know what the NORMAL manufacturing tolerance is for the Raw Foam as delivered from the supplier? Plus or Minus what % ?

Thanks,
I do know - I talked to Jack's supplier. In fact, they don't sell the foam at the same shore scale that we use.

We use "C" ratings for shore (look at the back of Jaco boxes, at least the old ones as well as a myriad of other places) and the foam sheets (4x8) that he purchases are sold at "A" ratings (I think. I can't find my notes for it, but it was two ratings away) and the percentage tolerance was 5-10%. (I was quite sure that we used either A or O but the back of Jack's packaging said C so I'm going with him. . .)

What Jack does is he measures the areas in the foam and finds portions that are the proper shore for the type of tire. . .that way he stays very consistent, and he is very consistent!

I believe the company he gets the foam from is the primary source in US. It was the best one that I found, anyway, and I had several people looking and we looked for quite some time.

Also the difference in the durometers are in their points. The really high ratings (up to K, btw) use specifically precision pointed tips that are really sharp. The ones used to measure the hardness of bowling balls (D ratings) is very sharp. As you go down the ratings (down to OO as softest) you move from sharp point to a ball tip to a specific diameter flat circular surface.

btw, I found a Shore A Pen-type durometer at McMaster for $222

Last edited by Boomer; 03-06-2003 at 10:22 PM.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 10:39 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Default Boomer;

The manufacturer of the Gauge that my Friend bought at Revelation (Dist by Paris Racing) is 'PTC'. They are a specialty gauge manufacturer and I've used some of their other products before and they are top quality.

Thanks for the info on the Foam sheets. I had thought that the tolerances were on the line of around 10%.

I'd say JACO just got another customer.

Thanks again. Maybe see you on Sunday at Rev.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:58 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

I will be there - it's our monthly Mod fix. . .
Old 03-07-2003, 09:44 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Hi guys. We use the Paris durometer in our shop. This is based loosly on the Asker C duro. This is a scale primarily used in Asia and Europe. The rubber suppliers in the U.S. use a type 00. Since most of the rubber we use is not domestic in origin we have adopted the Asker C scale(as has everyone else). By the way, our sheets are not 4x8, the Shore A is not used for foam, and the manufacturer's tolerance is listed at +/- 5 degrees shore C. I don't know where everyone gets their rubber so I can't say our purple is the same as brand X, but it probably is. For some reason many people who run our Nitro Shoes claim that our tires last longer and hook up better than other brands. I don't know why, perhaps the rim ????? I wish I could verify or refute these claims. We have heard this all over the world. It's good, but they could just as easily say the opposite and I would be equally perplexed. Just trying to be honest.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 02:24 AM   #26
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Popsracer,

I didnt have the exact answer for you, that is why I asked jack to post. ( If you didn't know Jack is the owner of jaco)

I hope this clears the +/- question up for you.

also when we cut from out sheets we stay away from the outside edge as this part is quite a bit harder then the majority of the sheet, Because we have other projects we can use this "harder" foam in, the racers aren't left with a tire that is harder on one edge. This could also be a contributing factor to why we hear our tires feel consistant to our customers.

If it will benfit you the racers, i will see if I can set up a another company thread ( like SMC) to answer all your Jaco foam tire questions

let me know if you guys would want this.

Korgae
Jaco/SMC
Korgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 10:33 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Yes Korgae, that would be very appreciated.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 11:19 AM   #28
Tech Regular

I would use such a forum
RC Paperboy is offline   Reply With Quote