R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Batteries

First time building a battery pack and need help on how to build. Also which battery to get, looking at team orion.
rugdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugdog
First time building a battery pack and need help on how to build. Also which battery to get, looking at team orion.
Start with a battery jig from Deans. I believe that Trinity is making one now too. I like to put Trinity shrink wrap over each cell before building. Helps keep the cells looking good and protects the label. Set your batts in and alternate polarity. (+ - + - + -) Get a hot iron (at least 40 watts/ 60 is better) Make sure the iron is hot before you start. If you leave it on the cell too long, you risk damaging the pack. Tin each end of all 6 cells, solder your bars on, charge them and go race. As far as which cells to buy, IB4200WC are still the cell of choice. Check out EAMotorsports. The link is in my sig. Good luck racing.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

buy one pack put together so you can see and go from there also try here for good prices on 4200's
Old 01-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave

Due to the questions your asking I agree with the above that it would be best to get cells pre assembled. Most matchers will do it for an upcharge however if you dont know what your doing you can destroy your $60 pack very quick, makes the $6 they charge not so bad.
Kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I was told very specifically from a good source to heat the ends of your cells for a maximum of 8 seconds. Then let it cool. Do not reapply heat until the cell is cool and do not do the other end until the cell is cool.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
Tech Master

Thats what I usually do...I do not expose the cells to heat for too long.Not good for them.IB usually don't like high temps. I'll cool them before the next round of soldering...
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:20 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to TL_XXX-S_racer

If you want great packs go with ProMatch. They have assemblies that you can choose how to have the pack assembled, or you can get the 6 or 4 cells so you can put the pack together. Very high voltage, and good runt time, and plus they match them at 35 amps!!

Chris

Team Corally

Superior Hobbies
"Supplying all your r/c racing needs"
TL_XXX-S_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

thanks for info guys...we are running a losi jrxs and concerned if some cells will fit. are 4200 the same size around as 3200? also if we run stock class can we run the larger cells? thanks again
Old 01-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave

They are not the same size hwoever the 4200s will fit in the jrxs with minor modifications.
Kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

ouch thats what I was afraid of ! what kind and how minor? really didnt want to modify this chassis
Old 01-09-2007, 11:30 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

try here ... www.fusionbatteries.com !!!! they come pre build to the configuration you want and have the power you need !!!! at great prices ... Good luck at the races !!
Old 01-10-2007, 12:04 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

every single reply that has recommended a battery seems to be sponsored by that company.

does anyone have an UN-BIASED answer please?
Tainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen
every single reply that has recommended a battery seems to be sponsored by that company.

I have noticed the same think.....

If you are a new racer, don't spend all your money on team pack, just buy a decent pack and learn how to driver first. try 5 minutes without touching the side !!!!
maximebeauvais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to SIRMAXXALOT Send a message via Yahoo to SIRMAXXALOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen

I noticed KAVE did not try pushing his sponsor and FullThrottle has exellent stuff, BUT

Go with an assembled pack man, the matchers are the best qualified to assemble a pack normally andif you have never done it before I would suggest not starting out with the new cells out there. Alos if the guy's who are good enough to have a sponsor are telling someone to buy assembled packs don't you think they have enough experience to know the best way to go?

Just my 2 cents
SIRMAXXALOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:14 PM   #15
Tech Addict

If you like Orion batteries, Peak Racing works very closely with them and get's all their batteries supplied and matched at the same facility by the same people in Switzerland. And Starting in 2007 (I.E. now) you can call Peak Racing directly and talk to Rick Hohwart or Joe Pillars directly and custom order batteries and even have them pre-assembled!

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote