Search

New Trinity 4200 cell ..no voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kufman
I Cells are not meant to be charged at 12A
12amps!! You should never charge any battery at 12amps, 6amps is the best for IB4200's, or 7amps if you are in a hurry (not recommended). If you charge at 12amps you are just asking for a ANY cell to blow up

Would look something like this

Old 06-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big B
12amps!! You should never charge any battery at 12amps, 6amps is the best for IB4200's, or 7amps if you are in a hurry (not recommended). If you charge at 12amps you are just asking for a ANY cell to blow up

Would look something like this

Nice
Old 06-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I don't use 12A, but this number posted either earlier in this thread or another thread.

found it

There were 2 packs blown up at the novak race this week, both were due to being over charged. One was on a GFX being cycled on accident and when the user went to check it the voltage appeared low so in order to get it done for his race he turned his charger up to 12amps on an already full pack, it started venting so he moved it to a safe area and it blew up. The other I do not know the exact situation.

The moral of the story, if you hear a pack venting get it to a safe area.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

*takes a look at his 10 year old 1500 MAh packs, heh, man I love these :P, cheap $10 tower hobbies batteries, and some older ones :P, In my 10 years of messing with RC cars I've only seen one battery melt, and it was because I charged it without letting it cool, is NiMh really that volatile?

I've heard worse of LiPo though, guess that's a different one, can't even see the battery on those lol.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCrzL82fiJ0&eurl=
Old 06-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Just found out that Trinity has gotten exclusive rights to distribute EastPower cells, I have some Trinity IB4200's and I havent had any issues with them, in fact, I bought them in August of 06, didn't build them till Jan 07, and they are still super strong, but I also take very good care of them, I never charge them at more than 6amps, discharge after every run, and let them sit a minimum of 2hr before charging again. The first time I charged them the started making a light hisssss sound, and I thought they were going to blow, so I unhooked them, and called my LHS, Doug the owner of SIR told me it is normal to have a little venting around peak with 4200's more specifically IB's.

Kufman, I see, well whomever that guy was is lucky he got it to a safe place before it went, could you imagine what would have happened if he didn't, or if they were lipo's

Havoxx, it is not that the batterys are "volatile" its that the majority of people who have issues with there high capacity batts either don't have the proper equipment to cycle them, don't know how to properly take care of their batts, or ignore what they have been told or read to do to take care of them.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Just found out that Trinity has gotten exclusive rights to distribute EastPower cells,
Hmmmm
Old 06-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Havoxx, it is not that the batterys are "volatile" its that the majority of people who have issues with there high capacity batts either don't have the proper equipment to cycle them, don't know how to properly take care of their batts, or ignore what they have been told or read to do to take care of them.
That is a broad generalization that just doesn't hold water. I have the proper equipment to cycle them; I know how to properly take care of the batts, and I've not ignored what I've been told or read to do to take care of them and I've had 4 bad cells in the last year alone and two of them were dead on arrival. IMO, IB4200's have done more to harm the hobby than help it...

The IB4200's are volatile, especially when one compares them to other popular NIMH's over the last 5 years. I'm hoping lipo will be OK'd everywhere I want to race sooner than later or I'll be forced to try out the EP4200's in the near future.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

[QUOTE=Big B;3432414]Just found out that Trinity has gotten exclusive rights to distribute EastPower cells,

Trinity claims a lot of things. Just put this on their list of BS
Old 06-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default hope that not true

I hope that is not true....if it is that would be a big mistake by East Power...

it's a crap shoot with IB cells...
some guys get a good batch..
others well DOA cells.....even with the proper equip...etc..etc..
Old 06-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Havoxx
*takes a look at his 10 year old 1500 MAh packs, heh, man I love these :P, cheap $10 tower hobbies batteries, and some older ones :P, In my 10 years of messing with RC cars I've only seen one battery melt, and it was because I charged it without letting it cool, is NiMh really that volatile?

I've heard worse of LiPo though, guess that's a different one, can't even see the battery on those lol.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCrzL82fiJ0&eurl=
I guess that Lipo can be pretty scary if you base your opinion on some moron intentionally destroying it because it looks cool. I personally have never found a video of a lipo going off that wasn't intentionally done. I bet I can get a NiCd pack to go boom on video too. Will that change your opinion on those as well? I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ here but we aren't talking about lipo but a real problem some NiMH cells are having. "At least it wasn't lipo" does not solve the problem.

All batteries need to be treated right or bad things can happen. I've never liked that our side by side packs are so easy to accidentally short. Is there any reason we can't equalize the packs using a wiring harness like lipo uses allowing the pack to be shrink wrapped?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Yeap its true. Its been posted on Trinity's site along with Xtreme RC. I also got an email from East power stating that if I wished to purchase cells I must now do so through Trinity.

EA
Old 06-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default darn

darn it....
guess i'll just order EP cells offshore...will probably be cheaper even with postage than Trinity's middle man super mark ups.
I'll be surprised if the following doesn't happen:
EP to Trinity = 20 % to 40% markup. from current pricing
Old 06-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Yeap its true. Its been posted on Trinity's site along with Xtreme RC. I also got an email from East power stating that if I wished to purchase cells I must now do so through Trinity.

EA
This is not what I am hearing. ProMatch says they still distribute this cell, they have just confirmed their next order with East Power.

Is the Trinity deal current or does it start in the future? Or are they just getting their own shrink??
Old 06-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Leodis
That is a broad generalization that just doesn't hold water. I have the proper equipment to cycle them; I know how to properly take care of the batts, and I've not ignored what I've been told or read to do to take care of them and I've had 4 bad cells in the last year alone and two of them were dead on arrival. IMO, IB4200's have done more to harm the hobby than help it...

The IB4200's are volatile, especially when one compares them to other popular NIMH's over the last 5 years. I'm hoping lipo will be OK'd everywhere I want to race sooner than later or I'll be forced to try out the EP4200's in the near future.
I guess I should have been more specific, the MAJORITY of people having cells blow on them either don't have the proper equipment to cycle them, don't know how to properly take care of their batts, or ignore what they have been told or read to do to take care of them. The reason I say that is, I have never heard of a IB4200 just blowing up, there is always some type of operator error, failure of equipment (ie. dischargers, charger), or lack of proper maintance that was the cause. What does a 2 DOA cells have to do with them being volatile, that's just bad luck, that I am sure the matcher replaced for you, as for the other 2 went bad how? Dead? You think an IB4200 is volatile, overcharge a lipo
Old 06-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by robk
This is not what I am hearing. ProMatch says they still distribute this cell, they have just confirmed their next order with East Power.

Is the Trinity deal current or does it start in the future? Or are they just getting their own shrink??
this is from Trinity "Trinity Products Inc. is proud to announce that we will be the exclusive North American agent for the EP line of batteries. Along with distributing and racing the new EP cells Trinity will act as as EP's advisor on the real needs of the RC racing market as well as providing technical support.

Trinity will offer the EP cells as Trinity & EPIC branded matched, matched assembled, sport packs, and receiver packs.

Trinity will also have the EP cells and packs available for OEM sales. For the OEM battery information contact Garry Owen @ Trinity for more information and sales. ([email protected])"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.