R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-24-2007, 07:01 AM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

That sucks dude. This is why I'm scared to buy new cells for 12th this year. I'm far from poor, but if I spend money on something that is perishable, I'd like to get the most value for my dollar. Wicked voltage for a week or two isn't enough for me. I hear rumblings from sources that Ken is talking like he's gonna be matching a decent amount of cells this fall. I think all us locals would bennefit buying from him. We both know Ken is never hurting for power. You know he'd take care of us if something happened like that. I'd bet he's gonna do IBs again. I'd like to try EP cells personally. I'll see you soon.

Ben

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:58 AM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Ya, its ALL the users fault they blow up.....What a load of....! This has to be the 6th, or 7th pic I've seen in a short while on this forum of IB's blowing up. I'm sure not all of those people out there were abusing the cells so much that they went boom! I smell a law suit if someones eyesight was taken, there is obviously a problem, defect in fact if so many people are having issues, and matchers such as promatch have moved to different cell manufacturers.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #48
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
=The problem is (as I think EA pointed out) some people don't take proper care of their batts, besides what is the alternative, Lipo, you think that battery going was bad, treat a Lipo bad
The thing I love seeing about this comparison to lipo is that at least lipo users seem to care enough about their dangers to take the precautions needed with them. Maybe others have seen careless lipo users but so far I've seen pretty decent caution taken. What kind of safety equipment are IB users using for their dangers? Exactly nothing whatsoever.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:24 AM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't want to highjack the thread, back to the topic Which cells were these the IB's or EP's? If you got them at your local track or hobby shop they should take care of it for you
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #50
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dasupacat1

They were IB's. i got them from a gent here on the forum. They were sealed.
Dasupacat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #51
Tech Master

Then it's really hard to say how long they sat, either he didn't know they could go dead or they came that way. Trinity has great CS, and should fix you up ASAP. I am thinking of giving their new EP 4200's a go, I have heard good things about the EP cells. What is your Battery charging cycle? Just asking to make sure you have a good routine, and can avoid battery problems.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:03 AM   #52
Tech Addict

I have a newish pack with a dud cell(self discharging). Basically have to charge the pack for a few minutes then tray it and keep an eye out for that particular light to go out(quickly). It's stored with anything around 1000mah so at least those other 5 cells will be OK.

Then charge as usual with the thermal sensor(Orion advantage)on that cell. Sure the pack voltage won't go as high as it should with that cell heating up quicker than the rest but it still works. I thrash the packs pretty hard, usually 2 charges a day and the second time is usually fine, even on the dud one.

Depends how cutthroat your racing is, at the moment I can just get by. Definately looking at the EP cells and possibly the GP 4300 if it ever shows any promise.
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:53 AM   #53
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One of the guys I race with was really excited meet before last as he had invested in 2 IB4200 packs (about $90 ea here in Australia). Last meet he dropped out mid race and after the race I went for a chat to see what had happened. One of the cells in his IB pack had died and the look of disappointment was saddening. This guy has been a racer for as long as I can remember (Iím sure he was racing when I was still playing with match box cars) and knows what he's doing. He has the dischargers and trays and all the bells and whistles and has helped me out on battery maintenance issues before. This said, for one of his cells to fail on its 2nd race meet leads me to think these cells are just plain junk. Problem is, I guess, with anything competitive the guys with the $$ who donít care and replace batts as soon as they start loosing 20 or 30 seconds run time are dragging the rest of us with them. Lets face it guys EP is dieing everywhere and its really taking its toll on clubs here in Australia and if you ask people why they think EP is dieing I would guarantee that most will tell you.. Battery costs. Its up to the racers to change.. but in reality it wont happen, what ever the top guys use filters down to the clubs and if you don't have the $$ you don't have a chance anymore.
Phroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:49 AM   #54
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Good luck on contacting Trinity via the e-mail support, thats even a bigger joke. I did the same thing and got the automated response that they would contact me within 72 hours, that was over a month ago, and guess what, ZIP. Customer support really sucks, and I know Ernie P is hawking this topic, so maybe he'll actually do something about it, but my guess is nope.
I contacted them twice about an issue and all i received was the automated message. I guess that is the trinity way.
Jerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:43 AM   #55
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry P View Post
I contacted them twice about an issue and all i received was the automated message. I guess that is the trinity way.
Dude check the website they got rid of the Hotline, and have replaced it with direct email links http://www.teamtrinity.com/support.html that is the stupidest thing they have ever done, I hate HATE, having only email as an option for getting hold of a company, this is a very bad move by trinty IMO
Old 06-25-2007, 06:09 PM   #56
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hurricane EP4200

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #57
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Dude check the website they got rid of the Hotline, and have replaced it with direct email links http://www.teamtrinity.com/support.html that is the stupidest thing they have ever done, I hate HATE, having only email as an option for getting hold of a company, this is a very bad move by trinty IMO

Look at the top of that link, It gives you their full address with phone & fax #'s
Kropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #58
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropy View Post
Look at the top of that link, It gives you their full address with phone & fax #'s
Hey Kropy, yeah but right below that "In order to serve you better, we are replacing our tech call hotline with direct email"
Old 06-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #59
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Hurricane EP4200
Old 06-25-2007, 07:47 PM   #60
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to TAMIYAMANUK

stick with GP's and you cant go wrong