R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-11-2003, 09:02 AM   #121
Tech Fanatic

Great coverage futureal! Thanks for doing it.

Seems all of this milling work doesn't provide an advantage unless you purposely want to lose weight in order to redistribute it elsewhere, a la steel bottom cover on the Losi.
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 02:32 PM   #122

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

Jeff C- No problemo on the HP. You had a way better chance of making the show than I did at the time, but that 4th round my X was a rocket. Just had some unfortunate luck. I still had tons of fun this weekend. I'm already looking forward to the norrca nats.

Shane- Great job covering the race, you didn't do too bad for having to be doing all of this updating all the time. Congrats for keepin the people informed.

Ax5B(Brian)- Yep it was dialed at trackside, I now know what i need to do for high traction racing
Old 03-11-2003, 11:47 PM   #123
Tech Rookie

Default SpeedMerchant V-Force Front End

Just checked out the SpeedMerchant web site, and they have a pic of their new front end. It looks like they're going to call it the "V-Force". Looks pretty cool, but can't tell much from the pic. Hopefully, they give some more info. soon.
http://www.teamspeedmerchant.com/
Rev.3 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 07:10 AM   #124
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

bruce should probably be posting the info soon, however i have seen this front end in person and talked to the guys who have been testing it all season long and it should be the "hook up" for other 12th scales as well (since it will also fit on the AE and trinity cars). its very adjustable and should be alot more consistant than the AE dynamic strut or old style front end in both the parts quality themselves, as well as hold it holds up and stays the same throughout a race.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 07:41 AM   #125
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

I too have seen the V-Force in person and it is really an awesome looking front end. A real departure from the hum-drum "old-skool" and the cantankerous (sp?) AE Re-active front end and the impossibly difficult to adjust SB2002 front end. Of which I have all three styles in my pitbox built and ready to install!!!

I cannot wait to buy the V-Force and try it.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 06:01 PM   #126
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Wow...that is awesome, looks like I'm gonna get a speedmerchant afterall...

On another note, does anyone know if the new front end will fit on the Rev 3 car?
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 06:05 PM   #127
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Oh duh...nvm, that's a new front end they're putting on the Rev 3.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 07:55 PM   #128
Tech Addict

Futureal- did you happen to get any pic's of Mike and or his cars? If so, I sure could use a couple for my site, with your permission.

Thanks! J.S.
jsbodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 08:29 PM   #129
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

i am pretty sure that the trinity car will require different mounting bulkhead or whatever they are called than the rev. 3. since the things that go onto the chassis wrap around the chassis in order to keep them from pivoting.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 07:42 PM   #130
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by jsbodies
Futureal- did you happen to get any pic's of Mike and or his cars? If so, I sure could use a couple for my site, with your permission.

Thanks! J.S.
there is a picture of Mike and his cars on the Associated site
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 08:27 PM   #131
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

For those of you that raced at the Nats- give us the scoop on what REALLY happened with the traction. I've heard that it got better, better, too much, insane, then crap when the track got saturated with traction compound and all of the sudden everyone's setups changed. Can you guys give some insight?
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 09:33 PM   #132
R/C Tech Founder

The biggest problem with the track was that it was like a "blue groove" dirt track. If you got out of the run line, you were gone. There were times where I blew a corner and it felt like I had broken my car. It made for some unfortunate traffic incidents where someone got out of the line and then nailed someone else because their car suddenly lost ALL of its handling.

After a heat, most everybody was using lighter fluid to clean the foams since they would get so dirty on the edges of the track. I'm talking really dirty.

I don't think the traction changed too much, though, it just kept going up and kind of reached a plateau. It did make it hard to get a car to be consistent, though.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:09 PM   #133
TRL
Tech Apprentice

Default traction

I was wondering why Blackstock ran his car so soft 50 and 40 oil copper springs, and tires double/pink orange(never knew they made them) and double pinks?

Now obviously it worked,it just seems really soft set-up to me if there was so much traction? Not even a upper plate or anything..

confused I guess!!
TRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 10:48 PM   #134
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Shane hit the nail on the head it was like a blue groved carpet track. You got out of that groove and good luck getting back in with out a meeting with the wall first. I dont think the traction went away later in the weekend but people were looking to get their car more free in the corners and thats where the softer compound tires came in. The softer tire will flex more and let the car rotate more in the corner so thats why you saw some weird compounds used like what the Jaco guys ran. Some of the guys on TRC's ran magenta's and tan's for rear tires. I know I went to tan tires for the last gualifier and wish I had done it sooner the car was much easier to drive with them in the back.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 11:50 PM   #135
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Dave Kurschner

Another reason for the softer setups was the almost uncharacteristicly tight layout for this race. So the lower infield speeds with the cars always turning one way or the other, slightly softer setups and tires gave the sidebite needed for faster cornering speeds.

Everybody there would agree that the groove was fairly narrow. But again the layout really dictates the groove that forms. If you got off the groove, it was very tough to control your car. But the groove was very high bite with the Jack da gripper compound. There were quite a few cars, even 1/12th scales, that were lifting up and traction rolling at times. Alot of people solved this problem by supergluing the sidewalls of their front tires. Some people said that the groove almost felt a bit greasy at times.
Dave Kurschner is offline   Reply With Quote