R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to MxD0CxB
Default A Question of Choice

Hey Guys! New to the forum, so here goes nothin'.

About 2 years ago i owned a Team Associated NTC3. I loved its power and handling. Unfortunately, it was stolen, so I've been out of the R/C hobby for a few years.

To the point:
I'm looking at getting a new on-road touring 1/10th scale, and i wanted to go with an electric so i could also run it at indoor tracks and such. I'm realy looking for suggestions for brands and models to look into. My price range is $200 to $500 bucks, and since i have a bit of r/c experience, something that i can enjoy on my street, and at the track.

Thanks for anyone's help!
MxD0CxB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

My .02 is very limited to, well, .02 but here goes. The fastes guy at our local indoor carpet track at least for this week runs an electric 'tub' chassis TC3. Second place is on his tail, but it shows me at least that it is the driver skill and knowledge of setup more so than the equipment.

Other competitors run Yoko, Losi, TC4, etc.

Coincidentally, my 10 yr old son both run TC3

Allan
Centerline Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

well, i've been looking into xray t2'007, and the kyosho tf-5, or perhaps even the discontinued ae tc4. . . any suggestions?

in addition, belt driven or shaft driven?
Old 01-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default The pic

Lots of top notch car out there.

My o2. Localy we have people running corally and xray. corally seems only a little less likely ot break. all very fast.

Interestingly, I think the the choice should come down to which one is best supported locally. I prefer the xray(fk05) as I have not broken a part in 12 months(no jinx please) and my corally buds have had some difficulties. Also the diffs seem to need alot more maintenance.

The T2 platform uses a different bearing system. it is fragile but can be protected through some upgraded bearings.

Bottom line, go for it get some practice, race and you will not regret the investment. It is a RUSH. BTW this come from and old feller 45.

T
todd8603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Talking

I have greatly enjoyed my TC3. It is fast enough for club races and you can still pick up good used ones cheap, like $100.00. And it's cheap enough to run in the street ... or even dirt oval, if you like that kind of thing.

If you have some skill and want to win, go with one of the newer belt drive cars. Around here, we get a cross section of local, regional, national and international level pro drivers and most or all run Xray or Corally. The TC3 / TC4 drivers (good average club drivers) in our area are picking up 1-2 laps going with (as an example) Corally RDX on both asphalt and carpet. Make sure what you pick has a local following so you get set-up help. But please don't run a nice car like that anywhere but on the track, you will break my heart, I want one to race
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I say if you want a car that you can drive on your street and race get the TC4 team kit and add all the extra carbon parts. If you want to just race and not on the street, get a Tamiya 415 MSX Rheinard edition or the X-Ray 07.
rematch batteries
RCpurplecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:04 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Tamiya TA05, it competes with any other chassis, costs less and hop-ups can make the thing a monster and keep you from spending so much all at once.
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Check out the xxxs losi. Its ready to run. Indoors and out. Quality radio and brushless motor set up. Cant lose as far as getting back into the groove.
Welcome back. Read you later.

X
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:51 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

And dont forget your R/C tech hop up's.
Avatar, signature, And pfofile. Have fun.

X
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:10 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Okay! The decision is in! After talking to some local hobby shops, I've decided on the Tamiya TRF415MSX Marc Rheinard Edition!
Reasons:
- Large Tamiya Following in San Gabriel Valley, abundance of parts!
- Local, quality tracks to run the darn thing!
- My street is well maintained, and has little to no through traffic, so running a higher quality r/c seems not to be a problem
- A local shop is selling the Rheinard for a very reasonable price, so financially it seems to be a good move.

If anyone has any warnings or reasons NOT to choose this r/c please please please respond in this forum!!!!! I'm going to pick up the r/c on Monday.

Thanks again for all your help and being so welcoming!

Last edited by MxD0CxB; 01-06-2007 at 03:11 AM. Reason: hehe misspelled San Gabriel
Old 01-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxD0CxB
Okay! The decision is in! After talking to some local hobby shops, I've decided on the Tamiya TRF415MSX Marc Rheinard Edition!
Reasons:
- Large Tamiya Following in San Gabriel Valley, abundance of parts!
- Local, quality tracks to run the darn thing!
- My street is well maintained, and has little to no through traffic, so running a higher quality r/c seems not to be a problem
- A local shop is selling the Rheinard for a very reasonable price, so financially it seems to be a good move.

If anyone has any warnings or reasons NOT to choose this r/c please please please respond in this forum!!!!! I'm going to pick up the r/c on Monday.

Thanks again for all your help and being so welcoming!
The reasons you gave are the best reasons to get a car. Also the TRF415MSX is a TOP of the line car. Good choice.