R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-04-2003, 07:47 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Send a message via Yahoo to DjJiz420
Not a name brand r/c.... but need help

I purchased a couple 1/12 R/C Lowriders from Radio Shack for $18.00 each.... Couldnt really pass up the deal seing as there $70 off sale, and have an r/c itch from time to time and these are helping...

So far Ive modded the rear end with a tie rod so it drops and drags on the floor, and made the three wheel almost unlimited...

My problem is I want to hop the front as well... I figured Ill just have a switch from the servo going to my hopping motor.... Kind of a pain but I only have 3 channels to play with after the gas/ stearing.... 1 for lifting the rear, and 2 for 3 wheel right or left.

One if my questions is, is there a way I can combine channels for multy functions? If so, how?

Im wanting to change a couple buttons in my remote as well but need help identifying the switch.... Ill get pics if someone thinks they can help...

Does anyone know about resistors by chance? I know Ill need one on my hopping motor so I dont burn out the main board...

Heres pics of what Im talking about...
http://photo.starblvd.net/djjiz420_2?st=album&pg=5
DjJiz420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 08:36 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Not a name brand r/c.... but need help

Quote:
Originally posted by DjJiz420
I purchased a couple 1/12 R/C Lowriders from Radio Shack for $18.00 each.... Couldnt really pass up the deal seing as there $70 off sale, and have an r/c itch from time to time and these are helping...

So far Ive modded the rear end with a tie rod so it drops and drags on the floor, and made the three wheel almost unlimited...

My problem is I want to hop the front as well... I figured Ill just have a switch from the servo going to my hopping motor.... Kind of a pain but I only have 3 channels to play with after the gas/ stearing.... 1 for lifting the rear, and 2 for 3 wheel right or left.

One if my questions is, is there a way I can combine channels for multy functions? If so, how?

Im wanting to change a couple buttons in my remote as well but need help identifying the switch.... Ill get pics if someone thinks they can help...

Does anyone know about resistors by chance? I know Ill need one on my hopping motor so I dont burn out the main board...

try a HAMMER if that dont fix it ....... hit it agian
SMACKMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 08:54 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

I think a firecracker will make it jump higher without all the raido work...
Old 03-04-2003, 09:09 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the help guys

I used to be around and race 1/10 when I was little.... Had some pretty fast cars locally but lack of intrest and money, we had to give up the sport.... since then all we ever had of cars/ truck/ boats/ and parts have since been stolen.... Im just trying to make due with what I have.... Why the hostility?!?

Ive since THEN had a stroke and memory is terrable... I dont remember how to do much from the past.... If you cant help me, please dont reply....

Questions still stand tho

btw... anyone have a 1/12 rear end or chassis for sale?
Old 03-04-2003, 09:20 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:

Try contacting Radio Shack for help. If they don't help, ask for your money back. There is a reason why they discounted the price so much, that's because no one wants it.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 09:44 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What do you want to know about resistors? v=i*R is a good place to start.
Kdonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 09:46 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Try checking out your local hobby shop. I know at our shop, they usually have used cars for sale and local racers normally have tons of spare parts and things like that and they'd be willing to part with them for very little money.

As for the electronics parts, I really wouldn't try to add any more horsepower because the car being from Radio Shack probably has a mechanical speed controller and probably can't handle even a regular RC stock motor without getting overheated since you probably can't switch pinions or spurs on that car. As for the switches, I really don't know.

BTW, I think the cars look real neat. I'd definitely buy one for $18. I might go to my Radio Shack and check them out. I wouldn't mind playing around with one in my living room when not racing at the track.

Is that a Frat House you live in or just a college dorm or your apt at college? You look far to young to have had a stroke, that is if that's you with the baggy pants, hooded sweatshirt and the beard! Nice pics!
Sigearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 10:11 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

"Try contacting Radio Shack for help. If they don't help, ask for your money back. There is a reason why they discounted the price so much, that's because no one wants it."

The locals at our Radio Shack do not understand what I need. None are even familar with the products they sell.... I did not buy it for customer support... I bought it because I liked it.... I work on these in 1/1 so its cool to have this for me...

"What do you want to know about resistors? v=i*R is a good place to start."

If your being sarcastic... please stop... If not I have some questions..

Im looking at some sites right now on some basic electronics so maybe Ill get this part solved myself.... Im still not sure how to test or what to test... Ive got a DMM but Ive been in car audio for the past 3 years, and dont remember what the other stuff does..

"Try checking out your local hobby shop. I know at our shop, they usually have used cars for sale and local racers normally have tons of spare parts and things like that and they'd be willing to part with them for very little money.

As for the electronics parts, I really wouldn't try to add any more horsepower because the car being from Radio Shack probably has a mechanical speed controller and probably can't handle even a regular RC stock motor without getting overheated since you probably can't switch pinions or spurs on that car. As for the switches, I really don't know.

BTW, I think the cars look real neat. I'd definitely buy one for $18. I might go to my Radio Shack and check them out. I wouldn't mind playing around with one in my living room when not racing at the track.

Is that a Frat House you live in or just a college dorm or your apt at college? You look far to young to have had a stroke, that is if that's you with the baggy pants, hooded sweatshirt and the beard! Nice pics!"

Thank you.... a reply I can use lol..

Our local shop is ran by two 60 year old gentelmen that only knows trains... very hard to get parts from them but I try... Ive met some local guys with parts but nothing I can use off hand. Might try to custom make a Bolink style rear end...

Im not trying to add power to any motor... I want a motor designated to my hopping setup in the front. Ill post pics later once I get it set up better. I guess my biggest question would be how would I know what size resistor I need to that hoppin motor so I dont burn my board...

It is a pretty fun car for the $. It was to fast for what I needed tho, so I added a volume knob from Radio Shack to the main power wire... Now I dont chip the chrome on the walls.

LOL.... This is my living room.... Its always full of somthing depending on the season... Snow is flying here so the bikes and stereo stuff is put away for now... I rent btw

I am the one in the pics... and yea I am young... I had some bad surgery that lead to the stroke ( karma didnt help lol ).

Thank you very much for the help so far... back to my reading..

Chad
Old 03-04-2003, 10:27 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to stoopidbstrd

i think you should just get a real low rider and run that damn thing over.
stoopidbstrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 10:38 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

We have lowriders... so what?!?! I cant build a mini 64? Maybe Ill ask my parrents to buy me a "real" car...

Heres more of what we do...
http://PoBoyz.cjb.net
Old 03-04-2003, 11:34 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to spitfire Send a message via Yahoo to spitfire

Dj- what city u live in?
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 12:36 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

Duluth
Old 03-05-2003, 12:40 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

DJ, don't listen to some of these fools we got on here. You're questions were legitimate and after all this is a hobby where ALL of us own TOY cars, it just so happens some are made for racing and some are for plain old fun like your Lowriders. I happen to think they are pretty cool even though I don't buy RC's for so called "bashing" I exclusively race mine. Bottom line is they are a hobby and they are for having fun.
Sigearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 10:21 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Not a name brand r/c.... but need help

Quote:
Originally posted by SMACKMASTER
try a HAMMER if that dont fix it ....... hit it again
If THAT doesn't work, douse it in Gasoline and hit it with a match. If THAT doesn't work, just run over it with a full size car.

As you can see, not too many of us are fond of Radio Shack. Over priced and Under Stocked.
Servo mixing is normally not used on R/C Cars. You might try over at Radio Control Zone in the R/C Aircraft forums.

Last edited by popsracer; 03-06-2003 at 03:15 PM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 12:48 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Default Good suggestions, but i have a better one.

buy a real r/c car dood.

Last edited by pfeiffer; 03-07-2003 at 03:22 PM.
pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote