Wiki Posts
Search

T1FK05 shock assembly question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default T1FK05 shock assembly question

How far should the aluminum collar that closes off the top end be screwed on? I'm using rubber bladders, but no foam inserts. Do you thread it on until the aluminum collar just about reaches the stop at the end of the threads? When I screw it all the way down the shock piston seems to be limited in travel by striking the bladder / top cap, and approx 1/4" of unthreaded shock shaft remains sticking out when the shock is fully compressed. Does that sound right? The car bottoms out before the shock compression limit comes into play, so I don't believe its going to cause a problem.

And what is more important to match in length, both shocks in full extension, or compression?
Old 01-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Iceracer
How far should the aluminum collar that closes off the top end be screwed on? I'm using rubber bladders, but no foam inserts. Do you thread it on until the aluminum collar just about reaches the stop at the end of the threads? When I screw it all the way down the shock piston seems to be limited in travel by striking the bladder / top cap, and approx 1/4" of unthreaded shock shaft remains sticking out when the shock is fully compressed. Does that sound right? The car bottoms out before the shock compression limit comes into play, so I don't believe its going to cause a problem.

And what is more important to match in length, both shocks in full extension, or compression?
Tighten the aluminum collar until it hits the raised rib on the shock body. If the shaft does not go in all the way it may be because you have too much fluid in the shock.

Make sure the shocks are the same length in extension, compression is probably limited by the amount of fluid as mentioned above.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

After you put the cap on, hang the shock upside down for a few minutes. Then loosen the cap on the bottom of the shock and let it sit for a minute or 2, then close it back up. Extra shock oil will leak out and you will be able to push the shaft in.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks guys. I've got them nicely bled and matched now. Did as you said and loosened the bottom caps to bleed them equal. I made a mistake so stupid I'm reluctant to admit it. The old shock top caps, unrecognized by me, had dry hard old bladders practically laminated to them. I didn't know there were old bladders on them, thought that was just the caps, and I was installing them that way on top of new bladders. No wonder there was no room for the pistons to come up all the way. I also threaded the two bottom eyes further onto the shafts so that the shocks weren't so compressed to start with. Set my ride height, set an approximate droop, used droop blocks to get the downstops perfectly equal, rechecked it all and I believe I'm ready for Sunday.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Glad it worked out for you.