R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Asphalt /foam set up question? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/142923-asphalt-foam-set-up-question.html)

tweak74 01-03-2007 12:19 AM

Asphalt /foam set up question?

This year i want to try running foam on asphalt instead of rubber.I am after some advice on the following points
1 Can i run Fronts on the rear or should i get the wider rears and cut them down and is there a lot of traction to be gained by doing this?

2 If i have a good set up for rubber , when i change to foams would you stiffen or soften the springs?

3 Do you change roll centres and if so in which direction?

4 AS i have a xray fk05 what front diff set up would be best oneway or spool etc

thanx for any help

Z.Hallett 01-03-2007 07:02 AM

i ran foam mod asphalt this summer around 3 times. i ran my indoor set-up with dbl. pink orange fronts, and dbl. pink purples in the rear. overall i had great steering and the car felt pretty stable. the chassis i run is the RDX.

-Zac

UN4RACING 01-03-2007 07:50 AM

Trial and error. I ran nitro shoes 1st, then I ran the gs 26mm. and I ran plaid purples, they are what I ran indoors at the time, I ran them to an indoor size an saved them for carpet season. Good luck I'm sure you'll find a good combo.

X

UN4RACING 01-03-2007 07:52 AM

The nitros were the best price and its fun to see if you can run with the macthed speed of the gas guys. Also the longjevity is there. I think its the wieght differance.

X

bvoltz 01-03-2007 08:11 AM

FYI: Nitro have to weight 1735g, compared to Elec at 1525g

chris moore 01-03-2007 04:00 PM

A lot of the answers you need depend on the quality of the track, is it a dedicated track or parking lot? I run both foams and rubber outdoor asphalt here and this is what works for my 05 xray.

1) Everyone local runs the same width tire front and back, purples work well but can very depending on the temps.

2) I use the white springs most of the time foam or rubber

3) No change in my roll center.

4) I like the oneway myself but that is more of a personal preference than a real performance issue. I do stay away from spools as thay seem to put more stress on the parts.

Keep in mind this is for 19T and stock racing if your going mod your mileage may vary. Also check the xray site for setup sheets from racers at your track.

UN4RACING 01-03-2007 06:31 PM

Just to mention the nito shoes are 30mm on the rear. I ran the TC3 And the Xray T1R At that time, The a arms alowed for the 30mm to not rub on the shocks so choose wisely when fitting wider mm tires.

X

UN4RACING 01-03-2007 06:40 PM

Chris I ran the TC3 and the T1R same springs foam and rubber the rubber set up worked perfect with both, foam and rubber.

robk 01-04-2007 03:01 PM

Be aware that nitro tires front and rear may have the same shore rating BUT they are actually 2 different foams. The fronts are all supposed to be the same foam that is commonly called "red", but in varying shore ratings (37 40, etc).

The rears are supposed to be similar to purple or magenta if I remember right.

I guess the density of the foam on the fronts help keep wear more even front to rear.

bvoltz 01-04-2007 09:13 PM

Guys I know this is on carpet but read this about the Novak race... People are switching from Form to Rubber:

From ottoman:
"A couple of foam guys went to rubber.... our tire bills are crazy. The guy pitted next to me spent $300 on wraps so far and ran out figured he needed another $300 for the week so he went rubber. Wraps are going to kill off foam TC racing I have enough to get through the race but next year I am going rubber... lots of grumbling here about tires so far "

To see the post go to this link: http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...00#post2909000

Look down for the post number 292

Not trying to take away or add gas to this, just showing you something that is going on....

UN4RACING 01-05-2007 01:17 AM

Foam on carpet isnt bad if you run them down on asphalt 1st. You get your moneys worth. But in a big event the trueing from 64mm to 57 or 56 mm is costly. Thats going to fast for my blood. I guess I could sell my computer?
NOT!!

X