R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-23-2003, 10:26 AM   #76
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to rallyweapon

can this novak be used in an emaxx ? if so, what speeds should I expect using stock gearing ( i usually get 22 - 25 MPH on Titans ). if not, what BL motor would you suggest ?

how's the torque on the novak ? can it be used in an offroad vehicle spec. XXX4 ?
rallyweapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 08:56 PM   #77
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Last edited by MDawson; 03-24-2003 at 04:41 PM.
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 08:40 PM   #78
Tech Fanatic

Default got my Novak BL....first impressions

Hi All,

Was very excited when it arrived..eventually!! I quickly installed it into my TC3. First thing i noticed were the wires... a LOT of it! I started with 72t spur and 25t pinion to give me a final drive ratio of 7.2 as recommended in the manual (between 6.5-7.3 internal drive ratio). Torque was amazing but it felt like it did not have enough top speed. The motor did not seem to rev very high, at least not like a 12t mod...

Off to the track and here are my comments so far:

- with 26t pinion( final drive 6.92), torque was still very good and top speed a lot better, revs peaked at around the 40m mark at our tack. Compared to 12t brushed that were running at the time, i would say very similar, but where the BL excels is in the torque torque torque department...... very noticeable!!!
- runtime using GP3300 was about 10min
- motor and ESC temp was fairly warm to hot

I ran 8 packs that day with no problems, very happy with the performance so far.

glide 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 09:08 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
The magnets will wear out eventually but the bearings, if maintained well, should last a long time.

cheers.
The 'magnets' on this is the arm; so it will be easily replaced if it fades.
OB42TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 09:30 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
The magnets will wear out eventually but the bearings, if maintained well, should last a long time.

cheers.
The 'magnets' on this is the arm; so it will be easily replaced if it fades.
OB42TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:12 AM   #81
DEH
Tech Initiate

Default Emaxx report...

Quote:
can this novak be used in an emaxx ? if so, what speeds should I expect using stock gearing ( i usually get 22 - 25 MPH on Titans ). if not, what BL motor would you suggest ?
Rally, I have two Novaks in my Maxx right now. They do pretty good, but no where near the power of one Hacker C50 on 12 cells. Mine(dual novaks) with 18/66 on 6 cells per motor, ran 30 mph as measured by gps. Not really too much better than titans. The Hacker Maxxs often get up to the 40 mph mark with good midrange torque as well. The KV rating is just too high for moving a big heavy truck like the E-maxx. One Novak would not work very well at all. As far as the xxx-4, its works great on that one... I had one of the Novaks on mine for a short time and removed it to try it out on the Maxx, but I'm putting it back in pretty soon. Novak is working on a single Brushless replacement for the E-maxx, but its still in development.

Hope that helps

D
DEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 12:44 PM   #82
Tech Fanatic

Default bearing noise

Anyone have this problem? Both my friend's and mine had a "gritty" sound to the bearings when we first run the motor (not mounted on the car). We decided to oil it and it seemed to disappear, but now the noise is back. What oil do you recommend we use?

I also notice a bit of play on the shaft, is this normal? If it were a brushed motor, i would normally shim it and take as much play out as possible....just wondering if it is wise to do.

Performance otherwise is very good, We've run plenty packs through it and its been consistent all the way!! Finally we can spend more time and concentrate on the setup of the car without having to think of motor issues.

Thanks again Novak for a great product!!
Old 04-09-2003, 08:18 AM   #83
Tech Fanatic

...Charlie from Novak, if you're there, could you please recommend a good oil to use for the bearings and if shimming the rotor would be a good idea. thanks
Old 04-09-2003, 09:20 AM   #84
Tech Master

It's not a good idea to run the motor unloaded, the bearings will never see that kind of RPM in the car, so you are basically "over working" them for no reason. The noise is very common in unloaded use as the motor is spinning WAY faster than it will during operation.

As for oil to use, nothing special is needed, most people have been using normal "R/C" motor bearing oil like they use on regular mod motor bearings.

I've been running my original tester motor with no maintence to the motor. Our enduro motor was never oiled either. It's not that big of an issue, bearings only really need to be oiled frequently if they are cleaned frequently. Otherwise the oil tends to stay in them pretty well.

Thanks
Charlie Suangka
Novak Electronics
www.teamnovak.com
949-833-8873
Old 04-09-2003, 09:31 AM   #85
Tech Fanatic

...thanks Charlie!!
Old 04-09-2003, 09:48 AM   #86
Tech Adept

Default Re: got my Novak BL....first impressions

Quote:
Originally posted by glide 1
- runtime using GP3300 was about 10min
hey glide, what setting were you on? unlimited or sportsman?
Elk666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:36 AM   #87
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: got my Novak BL....first impressions

Quote:
Originally posted by Elk666
hey glide, what setting were you on? unlimited or sportsman?
Elk666,

I was on Throottle program No. 4
- RPM unlimited
- Acceleration unlimited
- Brakes high
- No Reverse

1 thing i noticed though is that on the sportsman setting, there is a NOTICEABLE levelling off / limiting of the rpm, torque is the same as unlimited setting.

What kit do you have it in? What are your thoughts so far?
Old 04-09-2003, 12:17 PM   #88
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Re: got my Novak BL....first impressions

Quote:
Originally posted by glide 1

What kit do you have it in? What are your thoughts so far?
The motor will be either in my xray t1 or my xray t1r prolly gonna try in each 1, i received my BL kit last friday but there was a piece missing in the motor (front spacer to hold ball bearing in place), had to send it back to Novak for an exchange so i won't get to try it b4 another 2 weeks or so, i'll let you know when i get it back ( can't wait )
Elk666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:27 PM   #89
Tech Fanatic

Default Elk666

Sorry to hear that you had to sent your motor back....i know how bad the WAIT feels!!!

Will you be able to race with it at your local track? I decided to get the system for practice purposes - initially. Now, at least 70% of racers at our club have ordered the system after seeing mine run. We may even have special races organized for these motors - "Novak BL Class"
Old 04-13-2003, 09:05 PM   #90
Tech Fanatic

Default Tamiya Enduro Race Details

Does anyone know where i could get the rules details for the Tamiya Endurance Race held last Febuary?

For those who are unaware, this was Novak's real test for their system, 4 Hour Race and they came 1st and 2nd......not bad considering there were Lhener, Hacker and other brushed motor teams competing as well.