R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-10-2004, 05:26 PM   #391
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Novak Super Sport Brushless Motor System

Quote:
Originally posted by RecordBreaker
Using a brushless motor takes away all the fun of motor tuning. I know I'll be sticking to good ole' motors with brushes. I honestly hope brushless doesn't become popular.

RB
what's so fun about motor tuning when you can concentrate on driving more?
except getting more batteries , this is the single thing that can give you more track time.

I hope you're not still using the good ole DOS to access the internet....cos Windows has taken a lot of typing fun away.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:33 PM   #392
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Fuzzchop
Default stock 27 novak system

I just got the 4300 novak and only got to run in street for a little bit seems to run just like a killer stock motor but with more torque.I was wondering if anyone else has this and raced it.I can't race it till the 22nd I plan on running with reg stocks to compare it.
Fuzzchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:45 PM   #393
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Novak Super Sport Brushless Motor System

Old 02-11-2004, 05:04 AM   #394
Tech Elite

hey guys, we have run them upto 40mm + with out killing em.
But still not a patch on a Hacker
Old 02-13-2004, 09:13 PM   #395
Tech Regular

Default stock version

I ran car thursday nite against stock motors car seems to run like a A main stock motor without the work.I was with in .4 of the fastest lap I just need to get used to car not having any braking when leaving off thottle which made my rear loose.I tried 64 pitch in first 2 qualifiers and smoke spur to much torque.I had no problems with 48 pitch though.My son broke belt in his losi so He ran b main and then I ran A main right after and speedo stopped after I finished my race and did 2 extra laps.I tried 35,36,pinions with 96 spur and 2.25 tires in first 2 heats but was 1 sec slower than top guys I ran 27/72 2.24 tires and was only.4 off top pace but felt that was due to driver error as I was able to unlap myself from a wreck in start of race.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:00 PM   #396
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 5800 and 4300

I recently purchased both the 5800 and 4300 to install in (2) Xray T1Rs. I have one ESC set up with the limited 24000 rpm max, and when I go WOT it seems like the motor is running in bursts, unlike when in the other 4 mode where the power seems consistant. I tried the same thing on my 5800 T1r in limited mode and it does the same thing; however, going into the other 4 modes the motor runs smooth. Any one have this experience.

Is my set up wrong on the super sport ESCs. Both cars are set up exactly the same except for the motors. Receivers, servo and ESC are all same.
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 07:55 PM   #397
Tech Regular

Default sport mode

I tried mine at pit table and it does same thing but if you run it under load on track I do not believe you would notice this I ran mine outside in this mode and it did not have burst of power like it does if you run on stand.I felt thou it was slower than a machi motor in the sport mode but I have the 4300 which is already a little slow.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:01 PM   #398
Tech Elite

Default Re: 5800 and 4300

Quote:
Originally posted by vadn1
I recently purchased both the 5800 and 4300 to install in (2) Xray T1Rs. I have one ESC set up with the limited 24000 rpm max, and when I go WOT it seems like the motor is running in bursts, unlike when in the other 4 mode where the power seems consistant. I tried the same thing on my 5800 T1r in limited mode and it does the same thing; however, going into the other 4 modes the motor runs smooth. Any one have this experience.

Is my set up wrong on the super sport ESCs. Both cars are set up exactly the same except for the motors. Receivers, servo and ESC are all same.
i shot this question at Novak,and this is the reply:

Hello,

We always reply to emails quickly often email servers reject or mail. Sorry if that is the case, but it's not our fault really.

As for the motor surging at high RPM, that is somewhat normal for anything that has a RPM Limiter. The motor cannot maintain perfect RPM as the load from the vehicle is always changing. Even at high speed the load changes because of the drivetrain of the car.

Your gearing and temperatures sound close, the ESC was designed to operated around 160-175F, I think you are well within that range.

Gearing for the limited mode is actually pretty close to the unlimited, some people gear "taller" because the races are only 5 minutes and the ESC only gets hot for a short time. Most people have found the limited mode to be faster than any stock motor.

Please let me know if I missed any of your questions.

Thank you for contacting Novak Electronics, if I have not completely answered your question please let me know. You can find complete service information in the SERVICE section of our website. Instruction manuals are in the Download Section of our website.

Charlie Suangka,
Novak Electronics

after using this system for a while,i've dont use the limited mode anymore.There is nothing that it can chase with this speed.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:20 PM   #399
Tech Adept

Its actually pretty cool you can hear it "surging" when its going around the track. I believe they call it cogging but I'm not brushless expert. There were 4 of us running them today at our local track and I will never run anything else unless I'm at a big race that I have to run a brushed motor.
JohnnyRingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 09:04 PM   #400
Tech Apprentice

Post Brushless experience

Hi all,

Last Friday, I ran my BL for the first time in a large open circuit (Tamiya Kakegawa Circuit). I geared it 78/26 in a MR4-TC giving the ratio of 6.6 and rollout of 30mm.

No thermal shutdown whatsoever. The car was smooth and had very good acceleration.
Was very competitive with one Pro10 car. In the long straight, he overtook (due to gearing), but in the infield, the BL was stronger.

What amazed me was battery consumption. I used 2400NiCd. I don't think I will get the same run time if I run it with a 13 Turn motor.

I will try to gear it up to 6.13 final ratio. Until next time.

BTW, i use additional heat sink on the motor.
maresma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 04:03 AM   #401
Tech Apprentice

Default Program 5 or 6

Hi all,

Wonder if you have experience my problems. When i switch to program 5 or 6 ( stock ) and pull the throttle, the motor like turning intermittently, like pulsation effect.
leekayliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:04 PM   #402
Tech Addict

Location: If Nissan Motorsport is Nismo, Then Honda Motorsport must be Homo
Default Re: Program 5 or 6

Quote:
Originally posted by leekayliang
Hi all,

Wonder if you have experience my problems. When i switch to program 5 or 6 ( stock ) and pull the throttle, the motor like turning intermittently, like pulsation effect.
Same problem as they guy three or 4 posts ago. it won't do it under load.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 10:42 AM   #403
Tech Addict

Default Re: Program 5 or 6

Quote:
Originally posted by leekayliang
Hi all,

It's the limiter. isn't it supposed to limit the RPM?
nixaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 11:28 AM   #404
Tech Elite

I actually got feedback from someone at Novak, and that is the limiter. It is the way it works and shouldn't affect performance.
edseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 04:26 PM   #405
Tech Elite

Read above, there is actually a pasted e-mail from Charlie from Novak rearding this specific issue.
edseb is offline   Reply With Quote