R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-28-2003, 08:11 PM   #346
Tech Adept

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tc3brushless1.jpg (59.9 KB, 141 views)
Jammin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 08:12 PM   #347
Tech Adept

vent
Old 12-28-2003, 08:12 PM   #348
Tech Adept

sorry ...having trouble attaching pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tc3airvent.jpg (35.1 KB, 131 views)
Old 12-28-2003, 08:16 PM   #349
Tech Master

hmmm... by cutting a hole in your body shell, wouldn't it affect the aerodynamics of your car???

i know that the nitro cars do that to cool down their engine, but their car being much heavier & car running much hotter...
it's a necessity for them to create a air vent in the body shell...

can just give some comments on the effects on the aerodynamics? would the car become more un-predictable?

thanks alot mate!
horniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 08:21 PM   #350
Tech Addict

Location: If Nissan Motorsport is Nismo, Then Honda Motorsport must be Homo

Quote:
Originally posted by Jammin J
You have the ESC/heatsinks pointing the worng way. the vents should be perpindicular to the front bumper so teh air moves in between the racks unless you drift and spend most of ur time sideways then that would be fine LOL If you did that in the first place you probably wouldn't have had to hack up ur shell
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 08:25 PM   #351
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by horniez
hmmm... by cutting a hole in your body shell, wouldn't it affect the aerodynamics of your car???

i know that the nitro cars do that to cool down their engine, but their car being much heavier & car running much hotter...
it's a necessity for them to create a air vent in the body shell...

can just give some comments on the effects on the aerodynamics? would the car become more un-predictable?

thanks alot mate!
Straight line speed would be slower towards the end of teh straight as symptons would be similar to a mini parachute on teh back of the car. Also, you leave urself open to dirt, leaves and all other crap to get in to your spurs, heatsinks etc. Downforce would be decreeased dramatically thus car will be taily around hairpins @ end of straights.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:27 PM   #352
Tech Addict

Quote:
Here are some pics of a Novak SS brushless system in a TC3. I mounted the receiver on top of the servo to make room for all the wires coming out of the speedo. I also shortened the wires from the speedo to the motor considerably since they were WAY long out of the box. I left them long enough though to remove the motor to change pinion gears without unsoldering the wires. I just wish there was something we could do about the ridiculous sensor wire.....it's really long and abnoixious!

Also...in the 2nd pic....you can see the airvent that has eliminated my thermal shutdown problems for good. I've got it geared way up and it's not even getting anywhere near hot. I can leave my finger on the heatsinks with no problem after a mod sedan race on high bite carpet which works the hell out of the motor/speedo.
try this set up on ur TC3. The pic is for teh Hacker but dimensions are about the same

http://www.hackerbrushless.com/cars/...ing_otd1.shtml
Old 12-28-2003, 08:31 PM   #353
Tech Adept

Hi Kennedy....interesting thought about the way the heatsinks/speedo is positioned in the car. I did that becuase the wires seemed to flow to the motor much better that way. I think that if there's no air getting to the speedo, it's going to fry and shut down no matter how it is positioned though. I'd be interested to see what Charlie S. has to say about that.

And as far as the handling goes, I can honestly say I haven't noticed a bit of difference. Just think guys, nitro sedans are faster than electric sedans and they handle great.....sometimes with a big hole in the front, rear and on the side window! I don't know what the big deal is! LOL
Old 12-28-2003, 08:43 PM   #354
Tech Addict

Quote:
Hi Kennedy....interesting thought about the way the heatsinks/speedo is positioned in the car. I did that becuase the wires seemed to flow to the motor much better that way. I think that if there's no air getting to the speedo, it's going to fry and shut down no matter how it is positioned though. I'd be interested to see what Charlie S. has to say about that.

And as far as the handling goes, I can honestly say I haven't noticed a bit of difference. Just think guys, nitro sedans are faster than electric sedans and they handle great.....sometimes with a big hole in the front, rear and on the side window! I don't know what the big deal is! LOL
The nitro's make it up in weight and a matching hole in the rear. There is always air getting in teh chassis even if you don't have a whole in the windscreen. Air passes on teh inside of the front two tyres. I had the same problem when i bought my SS5800 coz I positioned it like you have but has since been fixed and I race in 55 degree celsius heat outdoors on a large high spped track and I can gear @ 33 without shutdown

Last edited by Kennedy; 12-28-2003 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:46 PM   #355
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to TexasRacer

ttt
TexasRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 10:36 PM   #356
Tech Apprentice

Well I got one of these beast (brushless) and gave it of shot. I was overall very happy with it. I finished in 2nd right behind an other driver that had a brushless. I thought it felt a little dead on the top end but the power from start to finish was just awsome on the infield. I would say in my testing of the motor it is worth every penny. If you are not trying to win againest the big boys at the track (putman/X-ray sponsored drivers). The sponcer driver that showed up to put of whippen on me with a 19turn d5 handwound putman dumped in every round. He had it geared way to tall just trying to stay up with us. All the other gents in our class were running 10 to 14 turn (just store bought motors nothing special)didn't have a chance.

I can't wait to hit the track next Sat. Have fun............
init2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 05:35 PM   #357
Tech Adept

Good to hear about your positive experience with the brushless motor. For me, I think it's all about finding the right gear for the car and you will go fast. I think people are selling it way short when they compare it to a 12-14 turn motor. The novak rips and I never worry about dumping in mod sedan with it. I even get in a couple extra warmup laps in and finish the race with no problem.

I'd like to hear what other brushless users are finding with their system.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:57 PM   #358
Tech Adept

I'm still putting my car together but I was going to start with a 27 tooth pinion and a 84 tooth spur - 6.99 final ratio and go from there.
Any other suggestions?
Old 01-05-2004, 06:10 PM   #359
Tech Addict

Quote:

I'd like to hear what other brushless users are finding with their system.
OK Hre goes. I find the system awesome and I think it works berst for me becasue I only started racing 6 months ago adn once I mastered our 540 class in Sydney I wanted to move up to stock or mod but could not be bothered learning about Brushed motor maintanence and forking out $ for comm lathe etc. so I decided to just go brushless adn it's great. It's defintly very fast and @ about a 12 turn level and all I worry about is handling and driving. In my opinion the brushless is great for new generation on R/C drivers like myself who don't already know the in's and out's of brushed motor maintanence but If you already do own a lathe and know how to tune a motor I don't really see a reason to change until the brushless just blow away the brushed motors on the track.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:38 PM   #360
Tech Adept

Hey Outlaw....like I said, IMO the biggest thing is to find the right gearing. To me, what Novak tells you about the final drive ratio is OK, but I think it is really meant for people running rubber tires that have a pretty consistent diameter. For us northeners who run foam tires on carpet, there is a huge difference between when you slap the foam tires on the car at 62 mm, run them at race size at 58 mm, or run them all the way down to the rims at 55mm.

Because of this, the only way to accurately and consistently get proper gearing it to figure rollout. I have always done mine in MM, but you can do it in inches too. The formula is pinion x tire size in MM x 3.14 / spur gear size / final drive ratio of your car. I don't know what it is for an HPI so you will have to look in your manual.

I have had very good success with my TC3 rolling it out at roughly 27mm. It is plenty fast and easily makes run time in the unlimited mode with 390s 3300s.

For example, If you have a TC3 with 62mm foam tires, a 100 tooth spur and a 34 pinion, your rollout would be 26.48MM. As the tires wear down to, say 57mm and your don't change your pinion gear, you will now be rolled out at 24.34MM. It doesn't sound like much, but it can make a huge difference in speed on the track.

So to make a long story short, with foam tires on a TC3, I always run a 100 spur and between a 34-39 tooth pinion gear ......whatever is going to get me in that 26.5-27mm rollout area.

I have heard stories of people rolling the brushless out much higher like 30-33mm. I actually made that gearing mistake this weekend when I had a 39 on when I thought I had the 34 on, (30.37mm) and I hit the thermal shutdown on carpet at about the 3 minute mark. The car was crazy fast on the straight, but did seem to lack some punch through the infield, so I think the motor might be out of it's powerband anyway. I think the people who are rolling that high must be running on asphalt where the traction isn't as high and it doesn't put as much strain on the motors/speedo. On a 40'x70' indoor ozite track, I have never been able to make a full 5 minute mod race without hitting thermal shutdown when I rolled out over 28MM. NEVER! I'd like to hear Charlie's thoughts from Novak on this. And yes, I'm still running the vent hole in the window to get air to the speedo.

Keep the posts coming because this is one of the only spots on the net that I have found where there is some reasonable info on this system. There is just so much crap floating around out there about the brushless motors and a lot of it just isn't true. I still think it's one of the best RC purchases I have made. I have gotten some "wow, that's a brushless?" lately at the track and I think I may have even converted a few guys. They are way fun and if you like to be on the track driving instead of trying to figure out why your crappy brushed motor isn't drawing any amp and running slow, it might just be for you.

out.