Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin Ng
people say its should be as fast as the hacker 8t but more torque then it
Any idea when this will be release?
danjoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 08:35 PM   #332

Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng

they are testing it right now.....

but i've been told by a friend that it should be out very very soon....

they didnt have it at the last hobby show...... so hard to say.
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 07:57 AM   #333
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

people:
I've just tried the transmitter check on my system and it seems that my transmitter's throttle EPA (100)wasn't far enough,so i set it to 120 and only then did the lights blink...
however,it was already like that when i set up my system..so i want to know if i already had full throttle or not ?????
my batteries are out at the moment so i can't check...
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 09:22 AM   #334
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by lee82gx
guys....have u shortened the sensor wires ? it's kinda long for my tc3...
how u do do that?
I found it the same too for my TC3. I just replaced the original wires to a shorter, 12 gauge wires.
I can't see any reason it should stay 14 gauge 25cm long other than the risk of mis-soldering?
Charlie?
GTO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 05:23 PM   #335
Tech Addict

Location: If Nissan Motorsport is Nismo, Then Honda Motorsport must be Homo
Default Gearing

Just got the novak and I just have a question about the gearing limitations. I have pretty much noticed that I could gear it right up around the 32-33(rollout) without hardly any loss in torgue or punch which is awesome but by the end it does get pretty hot but I haven't had thermal shutdown yet. My question is.... is the thermal shutdown the limit and should I just gear it to that or is not safe to keep running the ESC hot adn will constant heat affect the motors performance??
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 07:09 AM   #336
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default minimal brake

Hi,

What is the concept of minimal brake on the novak brushless ?
ongbenghui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 08:56 AM   #337
Tech Adept

I wanted to post some feedback on the Novak brushless motor that I bought for my TC3 sedan since it appears that there is a lot of misinformation floating around on the internet. Before you read any further I HAVE NO TIES OR CONNECTIONS TO NOVAK IN ANY WAY. I AM JUST A NORMAL RACER WHO LIKES TO GO FAST AND HAVE FUN.

I was VERY SKEPTICAL of the Novak system after reading all the stories on the internet and hearing about all the people blowing them up left and right. But I can tell you that after 14 years of racing, this is probably the single best piece of equipment I have ever bought.

Power

I have heard many comments about this motor being slow. The only chance of that is operator error if you choose the "stock" setting or pull the wrong gear. When geared correctly, this motor will easily run with a 10-turn brushed motor. FOR SURE, THIS IS NO 7 OR 8 TURN MOTOR. If you run with guys who run that kind of stuff, you are not going to outpower them. Usually, it's the top sponsored drivers running those hot, brush and tire eating motors anyway, and I'm probably not going to beat them anyway because they are better drivers. I have run my SS last week with some top Cleveland onroad carpet drivers running 8x2, and my lap times were only .4 off theirs. Sure some of that is motor, and some is driving. But unless you are a pro level driver looking for a sponsorship so you can impress all your friends, the SS has plenty of power. Oh and by the way, the torque on this motor pulls like a monster.

Gearing

I had some problems with gearing at first and the INSTRUCTIONS they give you in the box are NOT VERY HELPFUL. They say to start with a gear that is similar to that of your stock motors. Well, to go fast around here, we gear our P2K2 stock motors in a TC3 at about 28-29mm rollout. That works out to be a 59mm foam tire x 3.14 x 38 pinion / 100 spur /2.5 TC3 reduction = 28.16mm. Well when you do this, the car is BLAZING FAST. But the problem is that the speedo gets so hot it hits the thermal shutdown about 2-3 minutes into a race. When it hits thermal, you don't ruin the speedo, but you lose all motor power and your race is done. You have to shut it off to reset it and then let it cool down to a "safe" temp before it works again. And believe me the thermal shutdown works well to protect the unit. I bumped mine up against the shutoff about a dozen times or so already and it still works fine. And the problem is entirely with the speedo, the motor on this thing runs so cool its crazy. But don't touch the heatsink on the speedo or you will burn your hand!

To fix the "overheating", I kept gearing it down and down until the car would make a mod 5 minute race without hitting the thermal shut down.....and I finally did it. The problem was that the car was way too slow now for mod sedan that it SUCKED.

So I had an idea that everybody laughed at, but I figured I'd give it a shot or I was going to have to sell the motor to a backyard basher. I cut a hole in my front window just like the nitro guys do to get some air flow on the speedo and motor (although I'm not sure the motor really needs it). THIS COMPLETELY SOLVED THE PROBLEM! I have not hit the shutdown since I did this and I have been able to gear it way back up. I can run the motor for a SOLID 6 minutes on indoor carpet with 3300's (390 runtime) geared at 36/100 with a 59 mm tire = 26.68mm rollout. And it's very fast!

Other Thoughts

One thing I really wasn't crazy about was all the wires from the speedo. I like my car super neat and it is very hard to do with all the wires on the SS. There are 3 wires to the motor, 2 to the battery, 2 capacitor wires, and then a wire bundle for the motor sensor. It can make for a VERY MESSY looking car. I was able to easily cut and resolder the motor wires much shorter, but there's not much you can do about the sensor bundle, so you just have to live with it. I guess you could try to hack the wires and resolder them but I wouldn't suggest it. I guess cluttered wires is the small price you pay for no motor maintanance. Oh and another word that comes to mind about the speedo feel is smooth. I have no idea what people are talking about when they are referring to cogging. THERE IS NO COGGING. I have had normal speedos from Novak, LRP, and Tekin, and this brushless thing feels every bit as good or better than any of those.

The coolest thing about this motor is that it has got plenty of power and you can just run it and run it - and it has the same power every time. I have found I can really work on my chassis tuning and driving to see what is making a difference from pack to pack. I no longer wonder if my motor is going away and that's the reason I'm going slower instead of that shock change I made.
Plus, if I need to check something between rounds I can go run a pack or two and not need to worry about "using up the motor" before the next heat or main.

Using up tires has become a bigger issue since I spend so much more time on the track driving rather than wrenching or cutting comms trying to get 2 more watts out of that motor.

I can say that the SS brushless motor is probably the best thing to happen to RC since trophy girls in string bikinis. This has absolutely got to be the best club racing class that you could possibly have because everyone is on a level power program that never changes and you can just keep running. (I'm not familiar with this "overprogramming the ESC like everyone is talking about)

Everyone is on this big 19 turn sedan class kick because it is fairly fast and economical. Imagine a brushless class that was significantly faster than 19 turn with everyone with the same power, and you never have to maintain the motor! Now......if Novak's next brushless release is similar to an 8 turn...GAME OVER!

So that's pretty much my assessment of the motor - with the good and bad news. I will say that the good definately outweighs the bad, even though I get some chuckles out of that nitro-looking cooling hole in the front window of my electric touring car. I hope this answers some questions that some people may have had about this motor out there. I know if I had listened to the crap on the chat boards, I never would have bought one at all. I will try to post some pictures later of the installation showing the wires and the hole in the window.

If you want to contact me either to ask more questions, agree or disagree, just leave a reply here or send me a PM. I will check back.

Happy motoring.

Steve
Jammin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 11:36 AM   #338
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

GREAT post there Jammin J

i've had very similar experience with the brushless - the only problem with BL is that there is too much uncertainty being floated around.... and little to no marketing being done to promote them. as you mention for a "spec" or club class they are fantastic. and your comment about getting your car setup without the variable motor speed i also found helpful.

no motor maintenance - speed - fun ...... huummm
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 05:52 PM   #339
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Jammin J

To fix the "overheating", I kept gearing it down and down until the car would make a mod 5 minute race without hitting the thermal shut down.....and I finally did it. The problem was that the car was way too slow now for mod sedan that it SUCKED.

So I had an idea that everybody laughed at, but I figured I'd give it a shot or I was going to have to sell the motor to a backyard basher. I cut a hole in my front window just like the nitro guys do to get some air flow on the speedo and motor (although I'm not sure the motor really needs it). THIS COMPLETELY SOLVED THE PROBLEM! I have not hit the shutdown since I did this and I have been able to gear it way back up. I can run the motor for a SOLID 6 minutes on indoor carpet with 3300's (390 runtime) geared at 36/100 with a 59 mm tire = 26.68mm rollout. And it's very fast!

Good to hear. Another way to cool the ESC without looking like a Nitro Mong is to either purchase a ESC fan and place it over the ESC and it works fine OR to create a channell within your front bumper so air that usually passes under the chassis shoots up on top of the bumper and over the ESC.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:52 PM   #340
Tech Adept

I've heard about other people doing the fan thing but I really don't need anymore wires and "stuff" in the car. There's plenty of that already with all the brushless wires. The hole is working great and it really doesn't look bad at all!
Old 12-28-2003, 06:59 PM   #341
Tech Addict

Quote:
I've heard about other people doing the fan thing but I really don't need anymore wires and "stuff" in the car. There's plenty of that already with all the brushless wires. The hole is working great and it really doesn't look bad at all!
did you place another hole on the rear?
Old 12-28-2003, 07:22 PM   #342
Tech Adept

No just one in the front is doing the trick. I was geared at 39/100 with 57 mm tires today and the speedo ran very cool.....never even came close to shutdown.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:25 PM   #343
Tech Addict

Quote:
No just one in the front is doing the trick. I was geared at 39/100 with 57 mm tires today and the speedo ran very cool.....never even came close to shutdown.
from a physics point of view you would be creating an obscene amount of drag. You should match up the front window gap with a rear gap aswell. It would also help to dissapate heat even further so you could perhaps gear it up even more!!!!
Old 12-28-2003, 08:05 PM   #344
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Jammin J:
great to hear your experiences..mine would be somewhere along the lines..
To a beginner , it's pretty daunting to learn how to gear the thing.To much torque and u'd prolly go like,ok,2-3 pinions larger please,but u end up with a stopped car in 2-3 minutes!!happened to me too,every pack with shutdown!and i was running somewhere at 7.0

And after i installed an ESC fan(the kind u can now see Reedy selling and BB has one) it runs really cool.i can now safely gear it at 6.5 with no problems at all.only thing keeping me from going taller is it'd be ludicrous to run unlimited with that kinda of ratio.

the fan is the greatest investment i have made!!!IMHO,cutting the bodyshell isn't a great thing to do,though.

I've hooked up a Venom Temp Gauge on the ESC :
without the fan:top temp:180F-200F(shutdown temps)
with fan :120F

And lastly,there is now an update at the Novak website regarding the temperatures and gearing.Go check it out
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 08:07 PM   #345
Tech Adept

Here are some pics of a Novak SS brushless system in a TC3. I mounted the receiver on top of the servo to make room for all the wires coming out of the speedo. I also shortened the wires from the speedo to the motor considerably since they were WAY long out of the box. I left them long enough though to remove the motor to change pinion gears without unsoldering the wires. I just wish there was something we could do about the ridiculous sensor wire.....it's really long and abnoixious!

Also...in the 2nd pic....you can see the airvent that has eliminated my thermal shutdown problems for good. I've got it geared way up and it's not even getting anywhere near hot. I can leave my finger on the heatsinks with no problem after a mod sedan race on high bite carpet which works the hell out of the motor/speedo.