Community
Wiki Posts
Search

0.5 volt cutoff safe for IB4200 WC's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 12:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default 0.5 volt cutoff safe for IB4200 WC's?

Just wondering if 0.5 cuttoff was safe for IB4200 WC's. Reason I ask is because i always seen posts about the 4200's shouldn't go below .7-.9 when traying.

But when I will be traying them is right before I charge them and not like earlier that day or the night/day before.

Because the Tekin Batter Doctor has a 0.5 cutoff and is a nice little compact tray.

Only answer if you actually know lol people like to jabber alot.

Ben
Old 01-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Tekin tray takes them down to 0.9v ,then light`s go out ,if left on then they go down to 0.5v

To which i say to low ,stay @0.9v no less for IB cells
Old 01-02-2007, 12:14 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Hrmm Tekins site and TowerHobbies says .5, nothing about .9... So i dunno lol
Old 01-02-2007, 12:27 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Ooops 0.8v sorry

still i say not under 0.8v then
means you have to baby sit it though ,
Old 01-02-2007, 12:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ben,

I asked the same question to Tekin. When the lights go out, the pack is at .9 per cell. If the packs are left on the tray after that, they are taken down to .5 per cell very very slow. I was also confused when I read the webpage. I believe the question is still out on there website? I got the same answer from Pro Match batteries also. Hope this helps.

Kevin
Old 01-02-2007, 12:35 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Ya, it does.

So what do people normally do with their packs as far as storage and such, here is what i plan to do

Leave what ever battery capacity i have left from the race and store it like that until next week. Then when next week roles around, discharge the packs at 20-30 amps, then tray it to .9. But then people are saying that dischargeing at a straight 20-30 amps is bad for the packs, so there is like 3 pulse discharger trays out there. lol

I dunno!?
Old 01-02-2007, 12:43 AM
Tech Elite

why is it bad
coz of the temp the batts get too ,how hot do the batts get being discharged in a car with a 8x1 mod slapped in

IB`s don`t like pulse stuff
GP are bullit proof compared to IB cells

aslo you won`t be discharging a full pack of charge @ 30a ,just what`s left in there from last race or storage charge

i can see this being really confusing for you Bob ,if some one comes on here & say the opposite of me
Old 01-02-2007, 12:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Some of the guys discharge them down to .9 per cell and then go back an add a charge into them to ensure they do not dip below .9 per cell while they are being stored. Others just leave them alone after a day of racing and charge them the night or day before the next race. I think most sites recommend leaving a charge in them to ensure they do not get below .9 per cell.

Kevin
Old 01-02-2007, 12:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

I agree with Mr Jolly, GP cells needed a lot less TLC than what IB cells do. I am just changing from GP to IB and have had to almost double the amount of batt care time needed. IB also tend to die quicker than the GP cells.

Kevin
Old 01-02-2007, 12:54 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Kev, I guess teh easier way would be to leave w/e is in teh pack from the race lol I dunno about you, but after my last class race, i pack up, no dam time for puttin 500-1000 in each of my 4-6 packs haha

Ya, i think ill discharge to .9-.10 the night before, then tray to .9 the day of the race. then charge and be on my marry way
Old 01-02-2007, 12:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yes, I tend to leave my batts the way they are after a race, I live 60 miles away from the closest track. As it is now, I get home after midnight after a long day of racing. Good luck with the batts. Sometimes makes me want to switch to LiPo.....
Kevin
Old 01-02-2007, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KevinL
Yes, I tend to leave my batts the way they are after a race, I live 60 miles away from the closest track. As it is now, I get home after midnight after a long day of racing. Good luck with the batts. Sometimes makes me want to switch to LiPo.....Kevin
Allready on that road
Old 01-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Ben,
This is how you do it.
When you get to the track you will wanna discharge at 20-30 amps like you stated.Being the pack will only be 10-25% charged it wont take that long and wont have as much heat as a fully charged pack.
If you race on Saturday I suggest doing this on the night before so you dont have to wait 2 hours before charging each pack.
If you race on Saturday simply get your batteries out while watching T.V. or whatever your doing and start discharging them down to 5.4 per pack.
When you get to the track on Saturday simply take the packs out and place them on the discharge tray.I even take one to two packs with me in the front seat and have them on the tray before I get to the track.That way they have a lil time to cool off from whatever heat the tray may have caused(Slim to none).Charge the pack,run it and then if it's only going to be one weekend before you race again and IF YOU have a spare charger not charging throw 200-300 seconds in it.If your not going to race for 2 weekends then throw 500-700 seconds back into it.
With the HIGH voltage and LOW resistance these packs have they discharge themselves faster than anything.
Some guys will race,discharge their packs down to 5.4,then tray and then put seconds back into them.
I dont think this has any more benefit than just leaving whats in them and adding to it being the packs will be sitting for a week or so.

I hope this helps.

Les
Old 01-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Ben,
This is how you do it.
When you get to the track you will wanna discharge at 20-30 amps like you stated.Being the pack will only be 10-25% charged it wont take that long and wont have as much heat as a fully charged pack.
If you race on Saturday I suggest doing this on the night before so you dont have to wait 2 hours before charging each pack.
If you race on Saturday simply get your batteries out while watching T.V. or whatever your doing and start discharging them down to 5.4 per pack.
When you get to the track on Saturday simply take the packs out and place them on the discharge tray.I even take one to two packs with me in the front seat and have them on the tray before I get to the track.That way they have a lil time to cool off from whatever heat the tray may have caused(Slim to none).Charge the pack,run it and then if it's only going to be one weekend before you race again and IF YOU have a spare charger not charging throw 200-300 seconds in it.If your not going to race for 2 weekends then throw 500-700 seconds back into it.
With the HIGH voltage and LOW resistance these packs have they discharge themselves faster than anything.
Some guys will race,discharge their packs down to 5.4,then tray and then put seconds back into them.
I dont think this has any more benefit than just leaving whats in them and adding to it being the packs will be sitting for a week or so.

I hope this helps.

Les
Old 01-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Tech Initiate

um officer I am fine, I was just changing over my packs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.