Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
IB`s don`t like pulse stuff
GP are bullit proof compared to IB cells
I thought that the purpose of pulse charging was to give the batteries a break during the charge cycle. If IB's can handle the constant linear charge without a break, then it seems that the GPs are the weaker cell. Not flaming, just peaked my curiousity. Sorry to get off topic.

I leave the remaining charge in the pack from one week to the next. On race day, I discharge it and tray it on the Tekin tray right before charging.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Pulse charging sort of burbing really
since no 2 makers have the same time scale setup for there pulsing modes so comparing is hard
IE;charge 4 mins, 2 sec lapsed, then charge again for 4 min, but another company can have charge 4min, 3sec lapsed before strating again (this is reall roughly thinking out load )

But i have been told /have seen posted/ also found out the hard way IB`s don`t like pulse charging ,even pulse discharging is not good
even Step charging i don`t think is great for these cells

But GP cells are much tougher ,can take even dead shorting with ease ,But the IB`s will complain about the treatment

Disclaimer
if i have got this completley wrong then post on here & set right
but the GP cells are tougher wise then IB`s (for now )

don`t forget the East power cells are being touted that they are stronger then IB`s aswell, phsyically (but i think thats wishfull thinking) at the Mo!
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
Ooops 0.8v sorry

still i say not under 0.8v then
means you have to baby sit it though ,
hey colin

ive never had any probs discharging down to 0.0 just before charging to race the only time ive ever had an ib cell go down when i used a spintec what a load of tosh they are.

as you know colin i use a eagle single cell discharger which cuts off at 0.9 or 0.0 and use a eagle cdc version 5 and 6 and charge at 7ah cut off 3mv and the car is always fast.

i think people ought to experiment for them selfs with the equipment they have.

oh colin you racing thursday

stu
stuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:43 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

not sure
proberly like too ,but for sure on sunday 7th
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #20
Tech Rookie

I've done whatever there is to do for IB4200s when it comes down to Maintenence and charging procedures, but to stay on topic, i too would like to know "Can we discharge to a lower voltage(other than 0.9)prior to charging the IBs for a race"??, I own a Muchmore CTX-D2 discharger and on the Muchmore website in the tech section, it recommends to discharge the IB4200s to zero volts with the zero volt function before charging them up for racing.

So if anyone out there who has any idea as to can we discharge IB4200s to a much lower voltage then 0.9 before recharging straight away, your help would be much appreciated
BEE18C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEE18C
I've done whatever there is to do for IB4200s when it comes down to Maintenence and charging procedures, but to stay on topic, i too would like to know "Can we discharge to a lower voltage(other than 0.9)prior to charging the IBs for a race"??, I own a Muchmore CTX-D2 discharger and on the Muchmore website in the tech section, it recommends to discharge the IB4200s to zero volts with the zero volt function before charging them up for racing.

So if anyone out there who has any idea as to can we discharge IB4200s to a much lower voltage then 0.9 before recharging straight away, your help would be much appreciated

yeah iv'e been going down to zero prior to charging for the last 2 years or so on ib 3600 3800 4200 4200shv 4200wc and never had a problem i use a single cell discharger to do this.
stuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRacer
Ben,
This is how you do it.
When you get to the track you will wanna discharge at 20-30 amps like you stated.Being the pack will only be 10-25% charged it wont take that long and wont have as much heat as a fully charged pack.
If you race on Saturday I suggest doing this on the night before so you dont have to wait 2 hours before charging each pack.
If you race on Saturday simply get your batteries out while watching T.V. or whatever your doing and start discharging them down to 5.4 per pack.
When you get to the track on Saturday simply take the packs out and place them on the discharge tray.I even take one to two packs with me in the front seat and have them on the tray before I get to the track.That way they have a lil time to cool off from whatever heat the tray may have caused(Slim to none).Charge the pack,run it and then if it's only going to be one weekend before you race again and IF YOU have a spare charger not charging throw 200-300 seconds in it.If your not going to race for 2 weekends then throw 500-700 seconds back into it.
With the HIGH voltage and LOW resistance these packs have they discharge themselves faster than anything.
Some guys will race,discharge their packs down to 5.4,then tray and then put seconds back into them.
I dont think this has any more benefit than just leaving whats in them and adding to it being the packs will be sitting for a week or so.

I hope this helps.

Les
If you discharge the IB cells to 5.4v the night before the race, there may still be enough time for the cells to self discharge, and when you charge it back up it will take less mAh. I've done this and the battery only took about 3600.
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

If the pack discharge's more then how would it take LESS charge?
Im curious.
I have some pretty wicked 4200's and from 8:00pm Friday Night till 11:00am the next day I have NEVER had a pack drop enough to cause problems.

I personally have NEVER had a issue with this.I have done some testing and have never had a 4200shv or wc discharge itself anything noticeable in less than 18 hours.

Les
Old 01-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Consider reading and following the www.smc-racing.com instructions.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote