R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-26-2003, 07:20 PM   #1321
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

from my vantage point you do not need the PAL system unless you run Modified or just have to use 64 pitch gears with stock / 19t

RedBullFix has proven this and been beating us all too
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 07:48 PM   #1322
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I do plan on running 64 pitch gears, think I would chew them up without PAL?
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 07:51 PM   #1323
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

You got it pretty much right StonedGTI.
Most shaft drive cars have shaft mounts either side of the spur gear aswell as at the front end of the shaft. This means the section where the spur gear sits has very little oppertunity to wobble with the shaft so securely held. This does however mean there is another bearing added to the drivetrain which increases drag.
The stock barracuda has a double bearing holder at the front and rear, and the shaft is solid from one end to the other, most other shaft cars have a dog bone type main shaft where wobble doesn't matter as the spur doesn't sit on that section.The barracuda's essentially single peice shaft is more prone to wobble because it is so long but if you build the car well you can avoid most of it. The alloy shaft holders front and rear can help since they are more likely to be true and they won't bend.
The PAL system basicly converts the drive shaft to more like others shaft drive vehicles, there is a section for the spur to sit on which is held in the usual place at the rear and just on the other side by an extra part on a new motor mount, this section should always run very true, although adds a little drag, clean out your bearings properly and the extra drag shouldn't be a huge problem. There is then the middle shaft section, the long bit which is alloy for now, the graphite version is out soon Dave says which should help lighten it up to be more like the original which is very light. The extra security of the middle mount makes it easier to build wobble free, which is what I want for when I'm doing quick rebuilds at the track, plus I want to be able to run mod without worrying. I'm probably going to get a second cuda for the indoor stock season and I may not want to bother with the pal system there, alloy shaft holders will do the job.

The car is good in stock form, I have been running very well with just an alloy shaft holder in the rear which isn't a huge difference, I had a solid second overall in the Scottish 19turn championship, my driving has improved a huge amount since I got my barracuda because it's easy to setup and very consistant, aswell as being very fast.
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 07:52 PM   #1324
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
I do plan on running 64 pitch gears, think I would chew them up without PAL?
for 64dp gears I'd say definetly get the PAL system.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:08 PM   #1325
Tech Prophet

Hmm, Steve doesn't list the red PAL conversion, and I want to get the red Cuda, where else can I buy the PAL conversion at?
Old 06-26-2003, 09:10 PM   #1326
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Rainbow also has PAL Systems
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 09:15 PM   #1327
Tech Prophet

Cool. BTW, what size thrust and diff balls does the car use, and what size is the PAL bearing? I am getting ceramic balls and bearings throughout.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:36 PM   #1328
Tech Prophet

RainbowTen has the Red R2, the Red center shaft mounts, red speedway PAL system, red clamping wheel hubs, and red dogbones for me, that's gonna run roughly $500, then another $150 from Acer, and whatever I spend on spare parts through Steve. Getting a new car is always expensive!
Old 06-27-2003, 12:17 AM   #1329
Tech Addict

I was thinking of replacing the two bearings in the shaft holders of the R2 with one ceramic bearing on the inside and replacing the outer bearing with an oversize inner diameter so effectively just using one bearing so as to free up the drivetrain as much as possible.

Has anyone else done this or have any thoughts on the idea.
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 01:07 AM   #1330
Tech Regular

John: Have you tried removing the inner seals of the center shaft bearings? This should free them up a bit more.

Having said that though the drive train on my 'cuda feels no different with just one shaft bearing instead of two. I think the shaft feels more solid with both bearings which could be a good thing in mod

A couple more things to try is to remove the inner seals of the CVD bearings (the ones in the knuckles and rear hubs). Depending on what bearings you are using this can make a lot of difference. If you are using Acer polyamide bearings, you can even skip this step as the seals don't contact the ball race in the bearings.

Old 06-27-2003, 04:18 AM   #1331
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnA
I was thinking of replacing the two bearings in the shaft holders of the R2 with one ceramic bearing on the inside and replacing the outer bearing with an oversize inner diameter so effectively just using one bearing so as to free up the drivetrain as much as possible.

Has anyone else done this or have any thoughts on the idea.
Or you can try using the Older R1 center shaft holders that only have one bearing.... some of the local guys are doing this on there R2`s because the older R1 alloy center shaft holders are about 700 yen less each and less weight to boot

-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 07:03 AM   #1332
Tech Elite

Jeez, some of you guys are parranoid beyond belief about drive train drag
Clean the gunk out of the standard bearings and build the car, it will be very free just like that.
I wouldn't want to remove a bearing from the shaft holders, or even use a smaller one, since you're tempting the small bevel gear to wobble a bit, which shouldn't cause problems with teh bevel gears mesh since it's teeth are so large you have more tolerence to play with but it will induce wobble on the main shaft, which we are working hard to avoid in the first place.
I don't think you'll notice two less bearings if they are free already, running wide at one corner in a five minute race would probably loose you twice as much time as you'd gain from having a tiny amount less drag. The Barracuda is already better than most shaft drive cars.
I haven't even bothered removing any bearing sheilds, it just lets dirt get in easier which will happen when the car is out on the track and so slow you down whilst racing. I think a great investment is the intesy sparkle tray, it works great at getting stuff out even when sheilds are in place.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:53 AM   #1333
Tech Prophet

Kinda bummed, R10 just ran out of the Speedway PAL system in Red, hopefully Steve can get me one. Got a race on the 2'nd and I want to use the Barracuda there, and would like to get at least 1 week practice with it before hand.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:48 PM   #1334
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
Kinda bummed, R10 just ran out of the Speedway PAL system in Red, hopefully Steve can get me one. Got a race on the 2'nd and I want to use the Barracuda there, and would like to get at least 1 week practice with it before hand.

Red Crive systems are also very rare right now in the Tokyo Yokohama area too...Speed Way PAL only had Purple Black and PAL Silver in stock when I went to there track ...but I think that Steve might have a couple of Red ones coming.???

PM him for details

-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 03:58 PM   #1335
Tech Elite

Come on Dave we want some race reports. While Steve's away we're gunna get very bored.
Now back to masking my Alfa 2.0 for Sunday....
rebuilding the Cuda would help too