R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-30-2004, 06:45 PM   #12886
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by wyd
Mine seemed to do it alot more when I had my spool in their but with a diff it didn't do it near as much. You will know if it is really binding up when you run.

Merciless your car will always go straight if you lock up the brakes and have 2 diffs in or diff and a spool. Cars will not steer if the brakes are lokced and the car will push or plw straight ahead til you let off the brakes some and the wheels can free wheel. Now if you use a one way up front then you can steer while you apply some brakes but then you more than likely get really loose as the rear tires lock and the fronts don't and it is be like 2wd drive and slide the rear. You could add a tad bit of caster under you front ball studs under the a arms as this will giv you more off power steering. Start with 1mm spacers and work your way up from their. I wouldn't go more than 2mm or so.
2mm Shim under the front a-arm balls Man that would be around 10deg caster ..... and if you had a Xenon hub it would be even more
..-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 07:00 PM   #12887
Tech Regular

Maybe reducing the braking program can help ...what do u think wyd? My setting is 2 on the nosram evo ....
Pro Models is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 07:45 PM   #12888
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by wyd

Also I see it looks like the car has a front bumper brace. Anyone use it and have any pics of that on the car. Never seen anyones Cuda's with that setup on it yet.
Wyd,

I have used the bumper brace on my R2. Although the brace gives added protection in hard crashes, I find that it's tough to get to the screws that hold the brace to the bulkheads. You need a ball head hex to get to these screws. So, to me it's not worth the hassle.
RcMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 07:47 PM   #12889
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by RcMonk
Wyd,

I have used the bumper brace on my R2. Although the brace gives added protection in hard crashes, I find that it's tough to get to the screws that hold the brace to the bulkheads. You need a ball head hex to get to these screws. So, to me it's not worth the hassle.

If you use the "Newer" light weight bumper with the front bumper support getting the screws in the front tower is a breeze
-Dave
Old 09-30-2004, 07:59 PM   #12890
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
If you use the "Newer" light weight bumper with the front bumper support getting the screws in the front tower is a breeze
-Dave
Dave,

Interesting !! Sounds like this bumper is not as thick as the stock bumper therefore making it easier. Is this lightweight bumper available yet ?
Old 09-30-2004, 08:05 PM   #12891
Tech Champion

Quote:
Dave,

Interesting !! Sounds like this bumper is not as thick as the stock bumper therefore making it easier. Is this lightweight bumper available yet ?
Yep this Bumper has been out for about 5 months and it weights 9gm
-Dave

Old 09-30-2004, 09:51 PM   #12892
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Ok a few questions: What is the stock Caster on the R3? I think it is 5 degree since I have put on my Xenon caster blocks and is looks like I have more caster than with the plastic stock ones. If thats the case maybe I will just run the stock plastic one depending on what the car will do after I run it.

Ok now for some weird stuff. I had the car really free built stock from the box. My blue parts cam from RcMonk today so I decided to put on the alum. idler gear holds on the front and rear. Well in the rear it bound up my car and with both on the front and rear it makes the car rather noisy. Played with the damn thing for well over an hour and the decided to put the plastic idlers holders back on and amazingly the car was quiet and free again. Not sure I understand why but it is back to the plastic. If I have problems with gears then I will worry about it.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:01 PM   #12893
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by wyd
Ok a few questions: What is the stock Caster on the R3? I think it is 5 degree since I have put on my Xenon caster blocks and is looks like I have more caster than with the plastic stock ones. If thats the case maybe I will just run the stock plastic one depending on what the car will do after I run it.

Ok now for some weird stuff. I had the car really free built stock from the box. My blue parts cam from RcMonk today so I decided to put on the alum. idler gear holds on the front and rear. Well in the rear it bound up my car and with both on the front and rear it makes the car rather noisy. Played with the damn thing for well over an hour and the decided to put the plastic idlers holders back on and amazingly the car was quiet and free again. Not sure I understand why but it is back to the plastic. If I have problems with gears then I will worry about it.
Wyd,

That's weird. I didn't have that problem. Actually, these bevel gear holders came from your old Xenon R2. All I did was cut ears off the bevel gear and poped them out, don't think I damaged them. I did shim my bevel gears with a 0.1mm washer though.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:07 PM   #12894
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

RcMonk they didn't do that in my R2 car either just my R3. They are in perfect shape so it is nothing you did. It is just a weird thing. Hey if the car works fine with the plastic holders then fine. Don't need to have every option they make for the car if it works trouble free.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:11 PM   #12895
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by wyd
RcMonk they didn't do that in my R2 car either just my R3. They are in perfect shape so it is nothing you did. It is just a weird thing. Hey if the car works fine with the plastic holders then fine. Don't need to have every option they make for the car if it works trouble free.
Wow....just on the R3 ?? Now you have me puzzled. Maybe the bulkheads aren't really the same for R2 and R3. I thought they were. Guess we'll have to wait for other R3 owners to figure this out.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:18 PM   #12896
Tech Regular

Hmm been a while since I've lurked in this thread

Looking at picking up a cheap R3.

Can someone tell me if the carbon fibre used is similar to the soft material used in the R1 and R2?
Old 09-30-2004, 11:20 PM   #12897
Tech Adept

XRAY bumpers also work on the Cuda. Works well with Mazda 6 or any short nose bodies.
psmart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 11:31 PM   #12898
Tech Champion

Quote:
Wow....just on the R3 ?? Now you have me puzzled. Maybe the bulkheads aren't really the same for R2 and R3. I thought they were. Guess we'll have to wait for other R3 owners to figure this out.
The bulkheads are the same ...where the alloy shaft holders mount to.. I think where WYD is having a bit of a problem is that the bearing is fitting tighter in the holder vice the Plastic one... Plus there are quite a bit of things that you can to to free up the Cuda... even if the gear fits tight in the bearings when it"s in the holder...

Looks like it"s time to do up the Drive train tips thing ......again
-Dave
Old 10-01-2004, 02:43 AM   #12899
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Dave, you should have a website for this Cuda frenzy
Old 10-01-2004, 02:56 AM   #12900
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by GTO2
Dave, you should have a website for this Cuda frenzy