Old 07-30-2004, 01:41 PM   #11927
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

Quote:
Originally posted by O

I'm pretty sure the whole sd front fit
But the axles are definately different on the back

Dave
Hmm, sounds promising, think I'll have to get a pair of blue titanium cvd's then not cheap but then they're only a few quid more than a pair of standard Barracuda cvd's in the UK
I'm suprised the current ones aren't shaking themselfs apart every run
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 02:16 PM   #11928
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Can the R3 intergrated ackerman steering fits the R2?
Old 07-30-2004, 02:36 PM   #11929
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trying to shave some drive train weight. I was wondering if the R3 center shaft and ends will fit on a Xenon equipped R2?
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 05:16 PM   #11930
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Gazza_D

Herm, wheres the Scotsman in you gone?!?!?!? been living in England too long already it seems.
To save money just drill new holes in your axles, very simple and extends their useful life no end
Cant believe you havent tried it Pillar drill is the best if you can get access to one, if not a mini drill will suffice providing you can hold the axle securely when drilling.
If only the aluminium bones held up a bit longer....may have to go and check out those Ti axles for the yoke and see if they fit. Im sure Kevin wont mind if I open a few packets up in the shop to give them a trial fit to see if they are good to go

For those running outdoors on tarmac tracks, last weekend at the national over here, we found that the Cuda responded better with a higher roll centre on the front than the back. In cooler conditions we also found that moving the bottom shock mounts in 1 hole front and back helped settle the car down, and that a harder spring on the rear compared to the front helped the traction out of corners!!!!!!

Worth a try if you are struggling one day.....sure blew my mind at first
Gazza_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 11:18 PM   #11931
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoSkyline17
Trying to shave some drive train weight. I was wondering if the R3 center shaft and ends will fit on a Xenon equipped R2?
Don`t waste your money the Xenon Shaft and the Carbon R3 shaft weigh the same... just save your money and Buy the EXCEL one if Steve can get them in at Speed Tech
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 11:21 PM   #11932
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Gazza_D
Herm, wheres the Scotsman in you gone?!?!?!? been living in England too long already it seems.
To save money just drill new holes in your axles, very simple and extends their useful life no end
Cant believe you havent tried it Pillar drill is the best if you can get access to one, if not a mini drill will suffice providing you can hold the axle securely when drilling.
If only the aluminium bones held up a bit longer....may have to go and check out those Ti axles for the yoke and see if they fit. Im sure Kevin wont mind if I open a few packets up in the shop to give them a trial fit to see if they are good to go

For those running outdoors on tarmac tracks, last weekend at the national over here, we found that the Cuda responded better with a higher roll centre on the front than the back. In cooler conditions we also found that moving the bottom shock mounts in 1 hole front and back helped settle the car down, and that a harder spring on the rear compared to the front helped the traction out of corners!!!!!!

Worth a try if you are struggling one day.....sure blew my mind at first
SD fornt Axels = Barracuda Front Axels
-Dave

BTW Gazza_D you have some "things" coming your way
Old 07-31-2004, 02:34 AM   #11933
Tech Elite

Hmm, if I had an accurate way of redrilling them then I would. No pillar drill though and my hobby drill is just about to go up in smoke, it was a cheap one I bought a couple years ago.
I'd still need bones too, they're not helping the cvd's be at all smooth. I may try redrilling the rears though, if I can get the axles held securly.

I also have another big problem, a titanium addiction Titanium racing do a nice pair of cvd's for 34 and they'd be anodized blue too

Do any shops have spares for the Cuda from Centre Point yet?

Weird setup changes you made, especially going harder on the rear
So what spacers did you end up using on the front and rear to get the right roll centers for cold conditions? I get the feeling it will be cold next weekend so I may need to follow this advice
Old 07-31-2004, 09:39 AM   #11934
Tech Elite

Dave if you speak to any Alex Racing guys ask them to do a slight redesign of the small bevel gears for the R4.
Just extend the plastic gear so it comes further through the second bearing and is then held by a grub screw instead of these annoying little "ears" that rarely stay in tact.
I've just been replacing one of them and remembering the fun It's just a bit too fiddly to try get get it in whilst keeping both ears in decent shape, I always seem to end up with one thats pretty flattened.

Another nice feature would be to have a diff like the x-ray's, so you can adjust it by insirting a thin allen driver and turning the opposite sides wheel. It should be possible with the openess of the Cuda diffs.
And another diff change would be to use clip on rings on the outdrives instead of them snapping every time the cvd wants to pull out at the wrong time.

it's good to vent frustration on here
Old 07-31-2004, 04:30 PM   #11935
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Herminator
Dave if you speak to any Alex Racing guys ask them to do a slight redesign of the small bevel gears for the R4.
Just extend the plastic gear so it comes further through the second bearing and is then held by a grub screw instead of these annoying little "ears" that rarely stay in tact.
I've just been replacing one of them and remembering the fun It's just a bit too fiddly to try get get it in whilst keeping both ears in decent shape, I always seem to end up with one thats pretty flattened.
As far as the bevelgear goes... have you tried jut cutting the ears off and putting a couple of small drops of super glue tohold the gear in place... I have been doing this now for almost one year without any problems.....Good ol` Dave Berger tought me this trick..too bad he is on a long vaccation from R/C
-Dave
Old 08-01-2004, 04:10 AM   #11936
Tech Elite

I don't like the idea of super glue near my bearings
It would be nice to be able to take the bevel gears in and out of the bearings without too much fuss so you could clean the bearings properly without risking damage to the gear.
As it is I normaly bath the whole lot, bevel gear and alloy holder included but it doesn't get the bearings as smooth.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:38 PM   #11937
Tech Regular

What is the big advantage of changing your r2 barracuda with the Xenon racing stage 2 conversion kit, any difference.

Chazz
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 02:26 PM   #11938
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Chazz
What is the big advantage of changing your r2 barracuda with the Xenon racing stage 2 conversion kit, any difference.

Chazz
The Xenon chassis kit is quite a big change from a standard R2. It's thicker, moves the cells forward a bit for better handling balance, has a split top deck for easy spur gear changes and most importantly it has a motor mount that holds the main drive shaft securely to stop any spur gear wobble. Making the drive train very solid when combined with alloy shaft holders. It has most of the features the R3 has now.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:12 PM   #11939
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Gazza_D

Cool Dave, just what the doctor ordered Will be watching the postie like a hawk this week, new RC12 L4 turning up and now some more Orange stuff

Herm, for kick-up I used the 5 degree caster block with 0.8mm shim under front pillows. Used 1.0 mm shims on the rearmost pillows for anti squat.

Tried the car again today. Its handling great in both the cold (when the fog descended) and warm conditions (yes the sun put in an apearance). Only trouble today....the good luck fairies deserted me

Long story, but didnt get a full 5 min qualifier in, and ended up in the B

At least I gave a couple of good performances in the finals

horse, stabledoor, bolted, closing.......rearange as appropriate

Ah well back to the drawing board, next national in 2 weeks and at my home track........ gotta go well there
Gazza_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 03:19 PM   #11940
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Gazza_D
Cool Dave, just what the doctor ordered Will be watching the postie like a hawk this week, new RC12 L4 turning up and now some more Orange stuff

Herm, for kick-up I used the 5 degree caster block with 0.8mm shim under front pillows. Used 1.0 mm shims on the rearmost pillows for anti squat.

Tried the car again today. Its handling great in both the cold (when the fog descended) and warm conditions (yes the sun put in an apearance). Only trouble today....the good luck fairies deserted me

Long story, but didnt get a full 5 min qualifier in, and ended up in the B

At least I gave a couple of good performances in the finals

horse, stabledoor, bolted, closing.......rearange as appropriate

Ah well back to the drawing board, next national in 2 weeks and at my home track........ gotta go well there

Now you just need to get that L4 done up in Orange now to match
-Dave