R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-31-2004, 04:48 PM   #11131
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

Well no one can complain about lack of radio space on the Cuda. Today I ran an LRP F1 Reverse speedo for practise and my first qualifying, Dave will know how big this thing is It fitted nicely on the bottom chassis along side my reciever. So nothing apart from the switch was on the top deck. You just have to have a nice Futaba 9550 servo
I then got my "new" second hand spare speedo, an M-Troniks Cubed and wired it in for the rest of the nights racing. Talking about going from one extreme to the other, this things less than a quarter of the size of the LRP There was about an inch of space around it on every side, most power caps are bigger
Thank goodness I put it in, because the power difference is night and day and I needed the power to qualifying well. Ended up second on the grid, a couple seconds off pole. Time was lost on one lap where I was a second slow and then a couple laps where I was half a second slow, both of us were very consistant. Finished 2nd in the final, behind the guy that started 3rd. Had a messy start and just could close the 5 second gap he had after about a minute. The three of us were running practicly the same lap times. It was a shaft drive domination, TC3, Barracuda and Pro 4
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 05:31 PM   #11132
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech
wyd,

Car looks good! But I think you have to take off the tranny case because the chassis was designed to work without the tranny case (along with the short steering post) because the motor mount will be 1mm lower than the rest of the mounting points to the upperdeck if you're using the plastic casing and the regular height steering posts. Check it from a side view and see if the upperdeck is bending down at a small angle right now at the motor mount.

Steve Wang
I have used the covers on mine. I just machined down the covers and used the long steering posts. I also shimmed up the top deck on the motor mount. Works perfect except that a rock got caught between the diff gear and gear cover so those had to come off.
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 07:57 PM   #11133
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally posted by RcMonk
Looks good wyd !! Are you planning on using strapping tape for the batts ? I ended up using yokomo's battery strap and posts for my Xenon R2. Whereabouts in PA are you ?
I think I will use strapping tape to start. I live about 10 minutes from Harrisburg. I plan on going to West Chester Hobbytown to race this Saturday to try it out for the first time.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 07:59 PM   #11134
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech
wyd,

Car looks good! But I think you have to take off the tranny case because the chassis was designed to work without the tranny case (along with the short steering post) because the motor mount will be 1mm lower than the rest of the mounting points to the upperdeck if you're using the plastic casing and the regular height steering posts. Check it from a side view and see if the upperdeck is bending down at a small angle right now at the motor mount.

Steve Wang
I will check that tonight. Never thought about that. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:01 PM   #11135
wyd
Tech Legend

Default Re: multiplex

Quote:
Originally posted by seaball
hey wyd, that red servo looks rad. and the receiver is tiny. are you using the multi radio as well?
I'm using all Multiplex stuff. The receiver is the Pico 3/4 and the servo is the SpeedDigi, and the radio is the Multiplex 707. I'm sticking my trusty Tekin G-10 speedo as they work great and program so easy.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:03 PM   #11136
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoSkyline17
I have used the covers on mine. I just machined down the covers and used the long steering posts. I also shimmed up the top deck on the motor mount. Works perfect except that a rock got caught between the diff gear and gear cover so those had to come off.
I did trim down the back of the covers so now I just need to check the fit of the topdeck to see if I have any bending at all. I thought it was flat but I will be checking tonight.

You guys have been very helpful. Just one other reason I wanted a Cuda.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:32 PM   #11137
Tech Regular

I race in WC pretty often, maybe I'll see you there this weekend.

Quote:
Originally posted by wyd
I think I will use strapping tape to start. I live about 10 minutes from Harrisburg. I plan on going to West Chester Hobbytown to race this Saturday to try it out for the first time.
RcMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 08:54 PM   #11138
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by RcMonk
I race in WC pretty often, maybe I'll see you there this weekend.
That would be great. I ran their a few weeks back with my Pro4 and did great til the third round I hit one of those coupler pipes and ripped my steering block and caster block off the car and had no parts. To bad as I was TQ by a lap but couldn't race the main. Had a good time though. It hink this time will be better as I know what to expect and since the drivers stand is moved glitching has been alot less I was told.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:57 PM   #11139
wyd
Tech Legend

Hey Steve I check the car. The rear had a tiny bend to it but the front seems ok with the tranny case on it. I didn't know about any short steering posts. If I keep the stock steering posts with the Xenon setup should I still take off the front tranny case?
Old 05-31-2004, 09:20 PM   #11140
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

when i took the tranny covers off i didnt use any spacers in place of the case in the rear with the Xenon chassis but i did use spacers in the front with the original steering post....if you just lay the upper d eck on top you should be able to tell if you need spacers or not in place of the covers

also: when i took the covers off it was much quieter running....it seemed with the covers on that the car made a weird "echoing" like sound ...kinda hard to explain
Old 05-31-2004, 09:26 PM   #11141
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by R/C Anonymous
when i took the tranny covers off i didnt use any spacers in place of the case in the rear with the Xenon chassis but i did use spacers in the front with the original steering post....if you just lay the upper d eck on top you should be able to tell if you need spacers or not in place of the covers

also: when i took the covers off it was much quieter running....it seemed with the covers on that the car made a weird "echoing" like sound ...kinda hard to explain
I thought mine looked straight in the front. Ok I think I have it figured out. Thanks for the help. If I take the front cover off I will space it with some 1mm spacers I have.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:38 AM   #11142
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Gazza_D

Couple of questions for you Cuda nuts out there.

On bumpy and I mean like a wash board bumpy!! tracks what changes have you guys tried to get the best out of the car. I recently tried all sorts, droop, caster, camber, oil, springs, mounting positions and then wheel, tyre and insert combos to try and settle the car down. Found it better with Mid span arms in the end, but would be interested to know others thoughts.

Using a half inch up wheel helped a lot last weekend but was still not ideal.

Herm, when is Stonehaven this year and do they run 27T as well as 19T. Have been asked if I want to go up and race you see. Oh and Dean Osbourne will be up there again for you to use as a yard stick!!
Glad to see that motor is serving you well, we are working on a newer version with more rpm without the loss of torque at the moment. Should be interesting if we can pull it off.

Dave, youve lost weight, where did all the other Cudas go, I notice you only kept one of each?????

Catch ya later

Gaz

Oh and Herm, what ya doing with that thing in your car havent you got the Cirrus back yet, got mine back within 2 days!!
Gazza_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:00 AM   #11143
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

Hello Gaz, where have you been?
The place I race at on a monday night now isn't exactly snooker table smooth either. Lots of cars seem to be effected by the occasional bump where there are tarmac seams but I don't have too much of a problem, while others look like they're floating over them. I'm using fairly standard settings, kit springs in the rear and one grade stiffer up front. Shock oil is only 25weight but I'm using kit pistons. I always use Take Off CS tyres, with their medium insirts and now I just buy them premounted. I run quite a lot of droop, it's one thing I need to start measuring and playing around with I think. Camber is around 1.8 degrees at the front and 2 degrees at the rear.

The Scottish GP is on over two days this year, 19turn on the Saturday and Open Mod on the Sunday, on the weekend of July the 31st/August 1st. No 27turn class, you'd be yawning with one of them going down the straight
There's also the SMTCA round up there on August 29th.
I'm not sure if I'll be going to any events up there, it's a possibility though, will just have further to travel than I would now.....
Hmm, Dean Osbourne as a yard stick..... well I can't get too much further behind Should be a bit closer atleast, lest year was ruined by radio glitches so I never got a true idea of my pace

Will send you a PM about the motor, got a couple questions.

Should have my Cirrus back soon, silly me forgot to put my phone number in when I sent my speedo in Seems I had the positive motor wire at the terminal on the speedo touch the terminal next to it at some poiint Always did find those little posts tricky to solder onto. Atleast I have a second M-Troniks now as a backup
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:18 AM   #11144
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Gazza_D

Dave, youve lost weight, where did all the other Cudas go, I notice you only kept one of each?????

Catch ya later

Gaz
Trust me there is more there... I just have put up the ones that I like right now ..... I have 2 more though....

BTW hows that Web Special holding up
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:23 AM   #11145
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by wyd
Hey Steve I check the car. The rear had a tiny bend to it but the front seems ok with the tranny case on it. I didn't know about any short steering posts. If I keep the stock steering posts with the Xenon setup should I still take off the front tranny case?
if those are the original steering posts then you will need to get the shorter ones that Alex Racing makes .... to run without gear covers .. 99% of the Cuda drivers don"t run diff covers ..the gears are Really Strong I have only broke 2 in 2 years ... plus with the covers on the car will be even louder ( Cuda trade mark ......unless you use my bevel gear shimming tech )

-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote