Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 08:10 AM
Regional Moderator

Default Re: Re: stronger outdrives for Barracuda R2?

Originally posted by rc-zombies
the stock Delrin outdrives for the diffs is already the strongest and lightest available. How are you driving the car that it breaks apart.
I have also found if you change the front foam bumper to something alittle more forgiving it will limit your breaks also.
The barracuda foam bumper is much to hard an has no cushion if you do hit hard. I have switched mine and had no breaks after doing so.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: stronger outdrives for Barracuda R2?

Originally posted by Ko Racer
I have also found if you change the front foam bumper to something alittle more forgiving it will limit your breaks also.
The barracuda foam bumper is much to hard an has no cushion if you do hit hard. I have switched mine and had no breaks after doing so.
I've switched mine as well...now use the HPI bumbers. And it fits under the body better.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:07 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally posted by alch
Cheers

Whats the difference?

Sorry if its been discussed before, once again, i didn't really feel like going through the 300 odd pages to find it..
The web special had the batteries and motor switch sides, and it was loaded with hopups. They are no longer made.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:08 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by pucho
I am thinking of getting a cuda but im stuck whether to wait for the R3 or get an R2. I will be running on carpet so the fact that I can get a 3mm chassis for the R2 is atractive to me but im sure son enoght the same options will be abailable for the R3. Im also not crazy about the TC3 stering rack on the R3 that thing is no good, it breaks easily and gumms up and it looses it's smoothnes.

please help!
Steve did put together a US Special kit at Speedtech, includes the 3mm chassis and a few goodies... worth the extra cash IMO.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:10 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Default Re: stronger outdrives for Barracuda R2?

Originally posted by zgeist
I was wondering if anyone knows of any alternative outdrives I could use with the Barracuda R2?

I run a ball diff up front and the outdrives regularly break apart, particularly the long side. As they cost $22 a pop, this is getting quite expensive. If I can't find a solution for this, I will probably sell this car - despite the fact that I really enjoy driving it!
You could try putting a notch all around the outside of the outdrive, and using a Yokomo ring to go around it, it'll add a bit of strength, but you gotta be good with the dremel, or have a lathe to get that notch...
Old 12-18-2003, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Breaking the outdrives Thats some serious crashing
Other than Randmans idea I can't think of anything you could do. maybe get some fine strong thread and do as propeler repairers do, wind it very neatly and tightly around the end of the outdrive and cover with a thin epoxy type glue. Would be tricky on such a small area and would need a lot of patience to get neat.

R2 availability does seem to be drying up, Steve was saying he can't get any more from Alex Racing for the US spec he put together I don't think the R3 is a totaly different car, but I'm still not sure about the TC3 style steering. We'll probably see a 3mm normal woven graphite optional chassis for it at some time, there were plenty of companies making stuff for the R2. (whatever happened to Flap stuff getting to SpeedTech?)
Old 12-18-2003, 11:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default I think I'm gonna have to sell it

Thanks for the suggestions regarding the outdrives guys, but I think I'm going to have to sell my Barracuda. I really like how it handles, but I think I'm gonna sell my cuda and get either a new factory team tc3 or wait and get that new HPI pro4 and see what it's like.

I personally find the outdrives on the r2 to be really fragile, and as I said, expensive. I also find it very difficult to quickly replace suspension arms. (Of course, maybe I'm a total idiot, and I'm going about it all wrong...) I never had a problem with the arms breaking until our track rebuilt the sidewalls out of wood instead of pvc! Now, I've broken two front arms - which isn't that many - but repairing them was so time consuming compared to do the repair on a tc3! (albeit, you do have to do it more often!;-0 )

But the outdrives are the real killer. I know I shouldn't hit the wall, but when you do it shouldn't *always* result in a damaged/destroyed outdrive! And if the outdrive were cheaper, I'd probably keep it anyway, but as it is I'm gonna sell.

So, keep your eye out for it in the For Sale forum! I've got to repair an outdrive before I post it... But it's a blue cuda with Speedway PAL system, Square alum knuckles, I think Square alum hubs front and rear, one-way shaft, ti-turnbuckles, etc...

Thanks for having such a good forum, thanks for occasionally helping me out with my Barracuda, and thanks for reading.

Sincerely,
zgeist
Old 12-18-2003, 11:43 AM
Regional Moderator

Wow sounds like you already had your mind made up on selling it

I have also seen people take the heat shrink tubing and put over there out drives to keep them together

Last edited by Ko Racer; 12-18-2003 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default yeah, pretty much, I guess

If someone here told me aluminum outdrives were available, or that some other brand of outdrive or diff would work, then I'd would have changed my mind and kept it.

But if not, then it really just doesn't make sense for me to keep it. It's too bad - I suppose I should take a picture before I let it go!
;-)
Old 12-18-2003, 12:03 PM
Regional Moderator

uuuuummmm I hate to hear that your selling Arent there several others in chicago racing the cuda?
Old 12-18-2003, 12:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Herminator
(whatever happened to Flap stuff getting to SpeedTech?)
Hermi,

We tested some Flap stuff, and although they are of really high quality, the ones we received had some mis-aligned holes for the bulkhead, and therefore produce a tweak once you assembled it together. Therefore we didn't bring it in

Steve Wang
Old 12-18-2003, 12:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

KO Racer:

Well, there aren't any other cuda drivers at the track I race at, which is in Libertyville (very near Chicago). Maybe there are some at the Joliet track, or the Tinley Park one...
Old 12-18-2003, 12:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by Ko Racer
Wow sounds like you already had your mind made up on selling it

I have also seen people take the heat shrink tubing and put over there out drives to keep them together
Heat shrink is a damn good idea actually...
Old 12-18-2003, 12:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yes it is! just be careful and don't melt the outdrive!

But hmmm, could you do it and not interfere with the movement of the dogbone??? It would be pretty hard to just heat shrink the very end, and if you did the whole thing it would rub on the dogbone ... wouldn't it?
Old 12-18-2003, 12:44 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by zgeist
KO Racer:

Well, there aren't any other cuda drivers at the track I race at, which is in Libertyville (very near Chicago). Maybe there are some at the Joliet track, or the Tinley Park one...
Oh I see .I understand a little now being the only cuda driver at the track I have been there many times my self with odd brand cars lol but good luck in your R/C racing which ever car you choose.

Last edited by Ko Racer; 12-18-2003 at 12:51 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.