R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-30-2003, 09:25 PM   #6256
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by racer
are there any other type of shocks that can be used with the R2?

when i squeeze the shocks, it starts leaking on the lower rubber seal. should i bleed the shocks alittle more?

Thanks
I've never had a problem with R2 shocks leaking, you might want to make sure they are blead correctly. Steve Wang uses Yokomo shocks on his R2, you can get them right from him at Speedtechrc.com
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 09:28 PM   #6257
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
I've never had a problem with R2 shocks leaking, you might want to make sure they are blead correctly. Steve Wang uses Yokomo shocks on his R2, you can get them right from him at Speedtechrc.com
do you think Tamiya shocks can be used?
racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 09:40 PM   #6258
Tech Prophet

Quote:
do you think Tamiya shocks can be used?
Never heard of it done... but anything can be adapted with the right hardware.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:19 PM   #6259
Tech Master

Default Xenon conv. kit

Does the Xenon conv. kit have the batteries on the right side too like the stock chassis?

Randman: u got PM
forty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:39 PM   #6260
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Quote:
are there any other type of shocks that can be used with the R2?

when i squeeze the shocks, it starts leaking on the lower rubber seal. should i bleed the shocks alittle more?

what kind of dampers do most of you use? the stock or modified?

Thanks
I have run both the stock and Tamiya units on my R2. It takes very little to put the Tamiya shocks on your car...smooth shocks, that is for sure.
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:40 PM   #6261
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack
Default Re: Xenon conv. kit

Quote:
Originally posted by forty6
Does the Xenon conv. kit have the batteries on the right side too like the stock chassis?

Yes the bats. are on the same side, but about 1/4 inch forward from the stock R2 chassis
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 12:19 AM   #6262
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
Yah i think i'm going to try the labtech 7.7 pro. SteveM has the previous model for sale, not the 7.7 pro but it's a great deal as well. I just want to go with the newest. As far as support... yah no local support but that's going to change in a few months. If anyone is interested in getting one, pm me.
We were selling the Lab 7.6 at one point, I drove one for about three months. AWOLSoldier, if you need any opinions on the car, email me.

Steve Wang
Old 10-31-2003, 12:21 AM   #6263
Tech Champion

Tamiya shocks will work on the cuda, I know a few guys running them. You just have to make sure the shock lengths are around what the instructions specify. Also, the stock shocks on the cuda are really good and should be really smooth if assembled correctly. If it leaks, check the O-rings (on the top of the shock and also at the bottom where the aluminum ends that hold the shock cartridge) when screwing on the aluminum bottom ends of the shock, the O-ring can sometimes get squeezed out and cuase a air hole for oil to leak out.

Also, I used Yokomo shocks on my R2 mainly because I want to copy Kitazawa's setup (The Alex/Xenon racer that finished 5th at the Japanese Nats, who by the way use to run for Yokomo) The R2 shocks are fine

Steve Wang
Old 10-31-2003, 12:24 AM   #6264
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by wyd
I don't think he is anymore. Something must have happened. SteveM on the RCLab site that they don't have a US distributor at this time. If Speedtech was I might think of getting one of these cars to mess around with.
To make a long story short, it was a car we were trying to get going here, but with the shaft drive car phenomenon, we couldn't get the lab to take off. It's a good car for club racing and your intermediate racer will find the car to be competitive...but for the serious racers, they might find certain limitations with the car.

Steve Wang
Old 10-31-2003, 07:15 AM   #6265
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech
I used Yokomo shocks on my R2 mainly because I want to copy Kitazawa's setup (The Alex/Xenon racer that finished 5th at the Japanese Nats, who by the way use to run for Yokomo) The R2 shocks are fine

Steve Wang

... SD shocks? did you use the diaphram also? on the R2, do you use a diaphram? how about the shock oil, did you use the one recommended by ALEX or YOKE?

... did you notce a difference in handling with the SD shocks on the R2? what springs did you use? rayspeed or ALEX?

thanks

- jason

Last edited by highwayman; 10-31-2003 at 07:34 AM.
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 07:30 AM   #6266
Tech Initiate

Default battery

hey fellas, put down 4 -26 lap heats last night, 4th in b-main(thats darn good for me) but was wondering, I put in the pal set up and was having problems with battery lock down. because I couldn't use the factory holder I too some mounts off my 12-scale and flipped the battery brace up-side down to hold the batterys but the brace bows in the middle. and I haven't had much luck taping but is that the only way to go? ty
chefmo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 08:18 AM   #6267
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech
We were selling the Lab 7.6 at one point, I drove one for about three months. AWOLSoldier, if you need any opinions on the car, email me.

Steve Wang
Sent you an email steve... let me know if you got it.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 08:36 AM   #6268
Regional Moderator
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: battery

Quote:
Originally posted by chefmo88
hey fellas, put down 4 -26 lap heats last night, 4th in b-main(thats darn good for me) but was wondering, I put in the pal set up and was having problems with battery lock down. because I couldn't use the factory holder I too some mounts off my 12-scale and flipped the battery brace up-side down to hold the batterys but the brace bows in the middle. and I haven't had much luck taping but is that the only way to go? ty
you can do them like this if you have a dremrel . this has worked out good and you can still use the battery brace .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bpost.jpg (152.5 KB, 75 views)
Ko Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 08:48 AM   #6269
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Xenon conv. kit

Quote:
Originally posted by forty6

Back at ya
Old 10-31-2003, 10:10 AM   #6270
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by highwayman
... SD shocks? did you use the diaphram also? on the R2, do you use a diaphram? how about the shock oil, did you use the one recommended by ALEX or YOKE?

... did you notce a difference in handling with the SD shocks on the R2? what springs did you use? rayspeed or ALEX?

thanks

- jason
Hi Jason,

I didn't use the diaphram, I just use the regular plastic cap. You can use the diaphram (YS-8D) on the Yokomo shocks (YS-1sss-6 is what I used) and it will also work on the R2 shocks. When you put it on the R2 shocks, make sure you remove the O-ring on the top of the shock that seals the plastic shock cap. You won't need it for the diaphram type shocks.

I use 40WT associated shock oil. There is really no significant gain by switching to the Yokomo shocks. But the Yokomo shocks were just a bit easier to bleed for some reason (maybe I just got lucky during assembly ) I used Yokomo springs, and I haven't tried the rayspeed stuff yet.

Steve Wang