R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-09-2003, 07:35 PM   #526
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Herminator

I just totaled up the cost of all the RC things I could do with it came to around $600
don't think I'll be getting it all any time soon
it included a lathe and a couple sets of good 3300GP's which I could do without, although I definetly need one set of good cells atleast. I didn't list all the alloy parts for the cuda I would like either, just a few bits like shaft holders and c-hubs, both will have to wait I won't upset myself further by totaling up what I've already spent on RC stuff in the last couple years, I may have to visit a psychiatrist

Does your eveil twin tell you that you need to buy the Parts.....or does the Real Hermi' tell him to stuff it..and wait

-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 07:43 PM   #527
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Does your eveil twin tell you that you need to buy the Parts.....or does the Real Hermi' tell him to stuff it..and wait

-Dave
I need these parts, who cares what it costs

No I don't, I need to eat

ARGH, why can't money grow on tree's, or last weeks laundry
most of the time I control my spending urges, sometimes I just have to say F it

Anyone want to swap a GeForce 3 Asus Duluxe graphics card for a couple of alloy shaft holders, blue ones please
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 08:18 PM   #528
Tech Initiate

Arrow Spur Position

I am wondering, can the spur gear be mounted on either side of the spur gear adapter, like in this pic?
Any pro's or cons to either position?
Thanks For The Help,
Andrew.

Bartz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 08:22 PM   #529
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack
Default Re: Spur Position

Quote:
Originally posted by Bartz!
I am wondering, can the spur gear be mounted on either side of the spur gear adapter, like in this pic?
Thanks For The Help,
Andrew.

by mounting the spur closer to the center of the chassis you will put less load on the motor shaft.

(Tell Scotty John from Cali says hello)
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 08:34 PM   #530
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Herminator
I need these parts, who cares what it costs

No I don't, I need to eat

ARGH, why can't money grow on tree's, or last weeks laundry
most of the time I control my spending urges, sometimes I just have to say F it

Anyone want to swap a GeForce 3 Asus Duluxe graphics card for a couple of alloy shaft holders, blue ones please

Hermi' do you know that the R1 Holders will work also... all you have to do is remove one of the bearings and and they will work just fine...another plus is that you wont break any more 16T bevel gears since they are easier to put in too ..
But On a Side note I don't recomend doing this unless you buy the PAL drive system 1st

-Dave
Old 04-09-2003, 08:41 PM   #531
Tech Champion

Default Re: Spur Position

Quote:
Thanks For The Help,
Andrew.

You can do this but you'll need a really long or shallow pinion if you do it either way. ...The PAL drive system takes all of the guess work out of this and mounts the spur dead center between the opening in the lower chassis

A nust get part if you own a cuda

-Dave
Old 04-09-2003, 08:46 PM   #532
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Sorry about the delay in reply, I ended up spending the better half of the afternoon at the dentist...not fun...definitely not fun!

Bartz!

if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the R2 from? Just curious

Thanks

Steve Wang
Old 04-09-2003, 08:49 PM   #533
Tech Initiate

Arrow R2

I got it from a guy named named Chris. He got some unexpected bills and had to sell it.
Andrew
Bartz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 09:00 PM   #534
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Spur Position

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
You can do this but you'll need a really long or shallow pinion if you do it either way. ...The PAL drive system takes all of the guess work out of this and mounts the spur dead center between the opening in the lower chassis

A nust get part if you own a cuda

-Dave
Actually its not exactly dead center, it mounts the spur in the lower half of the opening, closer to the motor.

Dave is right, the R1 plastic shaft holder will work but be careful as it is very flexy.

The whole point of the R2 using the two bearings is to minimise play so use the R1 holders at your own risk Come to think of it, the R2 holders are also very flexy. This is why I highly recommend the alloy center shaft holders as a 1st priority hop-up.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:00 PM   #535
Tech Elite

You don't need really shallow pinions if you put the spur on the side shown in the photo, ie the side closest to the center of the chassis. If you put it on the side the manual says then you're likely to have problems getting a normal pinion to reach. I have mine on the side closest to the center of the chassis and it's fine, normal pinions fit perfectly on the motor shaft and mesh better with the spur. Also don't tighten the spur gear screws a lot, just enough to put some pressure on it and use some thread lock to make the screws secure. Otherwise I found the spur would warp under the pressure. Once you have the shaft in place make sure you have the bulkheads loosened off from the chassis and then tighten them like Steve suggests on the website, to get a straight alignment for the shaft, which helps stop spur gear wobble. I have an egged shaped spur gear with missing teeth because I overtightened my spur gear screws and put it on the side far away from the motor, and probably didn't quite have the drive shaft as straight as it could be either
The better the alignment and gear mesh the quieter your car will be

Think I'd rather go with two alloy shaft holders first, then get the drive system if I need it or can afford it later, since I bet it will cost a fair bit for all those alloy parts it includes.

I told you we had ways of making you speak Steve
hope it didn't hurt too much though
Old 04-09-2003, 09:04 PM   #536
Tech Champion

Quote:
I got it from a guy named named Chris. He got some unexpected bills and had to sell it.
Andrew
I helped Point Batz! in the Right Direction Steve

-Dave
Old 04-09-2003, 09:06 PM   #537
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Okay, here's how it went last night:

During practice, I basically tried the car the way it was from last Tuesday. The car was good on Sorex 36R/Yokomo zr-039F inserts, but it was lacking in top speed and mid corner steering. I brought the car in, and put on the 1 degree rear hub carrier (which gives the rear a total of 2.5-3 degree) and the car was a lot faster (I was testing the 2 degree aluminum rear hub)

Second pack of practice, I decided to mount up a new set of Sorex 36R but this time with the slightly thicker pit shimizu medium/firm insert. and I scuffed them in for about 6 laps (mild speed) and left the car alone before the 1st qualifier.

1st Qualifier:

The car was good, I geared up 1 teeth to a 72/28 combination, but the car was kinda loose, and I have to go easy on the throttle through the infield. I didn't have a good run and ended up stripping a spur gear at the end (I forgot to tighten down on one of the motor screw...I'm such a rookie sometimes )

2nd Qualifier:

We made quite a few changes before the race: We reduce the amount of droop in the front so the car will respond quicker in transistion, I also fixed the rear ride height as when I changed from the 2 degree aluminum hub back to the 1 degree nylon hub, I lost around 2mm worth of ride height, so I was at 3mm in the rear (basically scraping the ground). We also slap on new Pit30D tires with medium/firm pit inserts.

since I was number 0, I got to start up front, and bascially by the end of the first couple of laps,I was almost dead last. The pit tires needed around 6 laps before they hook up, so I was basically pushing wide in every turn from the start. Once the tires came in the car was a real pleasure to drive, it was good through the infield and carried a lot of low-mid corner speed. I came from last and finished 2nd in this particular qualifier.

A-Main:

Yes, I finally made it to the A-main after a month of struggling and getting my butt kicked (not to mention ego smashed...lol) I was happy to qualify into 5th. At the tone, I don't remember much, but I know there was a pile up, and again the car was pushing a bit. I think the pit tires need at least 1-2 laps to warm up, but once it did, I was easily keeping up the pace with the field. I went from 3rd to 2nd after the 2nd place suffered a radio glitch. Then I rolled the car allowing one of the Yokomo guys by (he was running the new MR-4TCSD). Now in third, I was chasing the Yokomo, and for about 5 laps I was actually gaining time on him. And together we were gaining on the 1st place guy slightly. Then I rolled it (again!). I made a total of 2 mistake in the main, but against guys that doesn't make mistakes...those were huge. Towards the end, the 2nd place guy actually caught the leader and I believe they tangled, which allowed me to get within striking distance, but they got around for one extra lap at the tone, while I was caught at the line.

As you guys can probably tell, that was probably my best run with the Cuda to date. Lap time wise, I believe the top 3,including myself were all able to do 12.2 sec laps.

I'll have some general setup posted on the www.alexracingusa.com website. I know I've been behind on that site, but look for a lot of update this week

I'll be at it again next Tuesday!

Rtypec! Good run buddy! and Redbullfixx, thanks for all your help, couldn't have gotten those tires done without your help.

Steve Wang

Last edited by SpeedTech; 04-10-2003 at 10:22 AM.
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 09:42 PM   #538
Tech Champion

Thumbs up Great News Steve

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech
Hi Guys,

Okay, here's how it went last night:

During practice, I basically tried the car the way it was from last Tuesday. The car was good on Sorex 36R/Yokomo zr-039F inserts, but it was lacking in top speed and mid corner steering. I brought the car in, and put on the 1 degree rear hub carrier (which gives the rear a total of 2.5-3 degree) and the car was a lot faster (I was testing the 2 degree aluminum rear hub)

Second pack of practice, I decided to mount up a new set of Sorex 36R but this time with the slightly thicker pit shimizu medium/firm insert. and I scuffed them in for about 6 laps (mild speed) and left the car alone before the 1st qualifier.

1st Qualifier:

The car was good, I geared up 1 teeth to a 72/28 combination, but the car was kinda loose, and I have to go easy on the throttle through the infield. I didn't have a good run and ended up stripping a spur gear at the end (I forgot to tighten down on one of the motor screw...I'm such a rookie sometimes )

2nd Qualifier:

We made quite a few changes before the race: We reduce the amount of droop in the front so the car will respond quicker in transistion, I also fixed the rear ride height as when I changed from the 2 degree aluminum hub back to the 1 degree nylon hub, I lost around 2mm worth of ride height, so I was at 3mm in the rear (basically scraping the ground). We also slap on new Pit30D tires with medium/firm pit inserts.

since I was number 0, I got to start up front, and bascially by the end of the first couple of laps,I was almost dead last. The pit tires needed around 6 laps before they hook up, so I was basically pushing wide in every turn from the start. Once the tires came in the car was a real pleasure to drive, it was good through the infield and carried a lot of low-mid corner speed. I came from last and finished 2nd in this particular qualifier.

A-Main:

Yes, I finally made it to the A-main after a month of struggling and getting my butt kicked (not to mention ego smashed...lol) I was happy to qualify into 5th. At the tone, I don't remember much, but I know there was a pile up, and again the car was pushing a bit. I think the pit tires need at least 1-2 laps to warm up, but once it did, I was easily keeping up the pace with the field. I went from 3rd to 2nd after the 2nd place suffered a radio glitch. Then I rolled the car allowing one of the Yokomo guys by (he was running the new MR-4TCSD). Now in third, I was chasing the Yokomo, and for about 5 laps I was actually gaining time on him. And together we were gaining on the 1st place guy slightly. Then I rolled it (again!). I made a total of 2 mistake in the main, but against guys that doesn't make mistakes...those were huge. Towards the end, the 2nd place guy actually caught the leader and I believe they tangled, which allowed me to get within striking distance, but they got around for one extra lap at the tone, while I was caught at the line.

As you guys can probably tell, that was probably my best run with the Cuda to date. Lap time wise, I believe the top 3,including myself were all able to do 12.2 sec laps, but if I read the lap times correctly, I crank 12.2 about 3-4 times, while the other did only 1-2 times.

I'll have some general setup posted on the www.alexracingusa.com website. I know I've been behind on that site, but look for a lot of update this week

I'll be at it again next Tuesday!

Rtypec! Good run buddy! and Redbullfixx, thanks for all your help, couldn't have gotten those tires done without your help.

Steve Wang

Wow Looks like the Mid A-arms are working at So-Cal
Once you get the offset 6.8mm A-arm balls you'll be able to dial the car in even more...

BTW have you tried the sway bars yet.???
Congrats'!!!!!! Now just do the same next tuesday OK
-Dave
Old 04-09-2003, 10:24 PM   #539
Tech Elite

Good to hear you made the A final, sounds like you did the reverse of what I did, hopefully I'll hold onto my qualifying position next week
could you not do a few warm up laps to get the tyres heated up a little? I take it your tarmac is quite warm, 36R's would rarely be called for over here, even on a hot day.

Sounds like it will be worth changing rear hubs when I move to outdoor racing for good, will want all the speed I can get in 19T class

So what are the other cuda drivers race stories?
Old 04-10-2003, 06:35 AM   #540
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would tell you, but my 'cuda missed it's opening day 'cause I broke that input shaft.

Hopefully my LHS will have it in stock today or tomrrow.....can't wait, cause I really want to put the X-Ray on the shelf!!!