R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-22-2003, 02:54 PM   #4816
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by ImGoinRCn
I never had any torque steer with my cuda...couldn't dial it out of my TC3...I sure don't miss that car...
Same here... no torque steer problem... even when I race with 8dbl. it was a pain when I had my TC3..years ago.

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 02:55 PM   #4817
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I had one of the TC3's from the first batch, and the torque steer was aweful I'm sure they've fixed the car a bit since then though.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 02:56 PM   #4818
Tech Elite

Randman: I disagree, bro! If the armature spins AWAY from the batteries, the torque effect is going to work in the opposite direction TOWARDS the battery side of the car. ie as you open the throttle, the motor is going to want to twist in opposition to the spin of the armature.

This effect must become more noticeable with more powerful motors OR on lower grip tracks - well in theory anyway

I'm glad you haven't experienced any torque steer yet though. However, I still want to know why the motor is on the 'wrong' side - why break the convention unless there is some reason behind it?

Your thoughts on this please?
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 02:59 PM   #4819
Tech Prophet

I dont know what their reason behind it is, but I know from experience that it works. I drive with the Novak Brushless motor, propably the most torque filled motor out there, and still no torque steer at all, even from a dead stop.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:21 PM   #4820
Tech Elite

Talking

I'm glad you guys find the car planted. The TC3 could be quite a handful to drive, even on relatively mild motors - true enough! The Yok SD is configured in much the same way though and seems very much easier to drive.

All I'm saying is that if a TC3 was configured like a Barracuda, there's no way it would work - the torque steer situation would be even worse. So why does it work on the Barrcuda? Would the Barracuda be even more perfect if the motor was shifted over to the other side?

Randman: You obviously put serious amounts of horsepower down on the tarmac with your brushless motors, but as a Tech kinda guy you have to admit that it does seem to defy logic doesn't it? I'm not disputing the car's quality or track performance when driven by competent individuals like yourselves. But if there isn't a good reason for putting the motor on the left side, won't you ever wonder how much better it could be if placed on the other side - the same side that all the other manufacturers use, including Tamiya on their EvoIII Surikarn edition? You can't just go changing sides with motors without having sound reasoning behind it - especially when motors are mounted longitudinally in a chassis.

On a lighter note: over here in the UK, brushless is only just starting to happen - bless us!

Old 09-22-2003, 03:24 PM   #4821
Tech Champion

Horatio,

My bro is going to the UK early part of Oct.. what's the best R/C Hobby Shop to go to in London?

Old 09-22-2003, 03:29 PM   #4822
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ImGoinRCn

My TC3 wasn't one of the first batches...bought it like 2 years ago and it was a handful. A tick better lap times but murder in traffic...I do my best racing in traffic so I went back to my yoke...so predictable, smooth, fast in traffic...just the way I like...can't wait to get serious with the yoke on carpet...it'll be so fast, it'll rip the paint off of their cars as I pass them...lol who am I kidding...lol with old 1200 scr cells and my twister stock... I race to have fun, win or lose...
X Factory R/C SCX-60CF
X Factory R/C X-6
ImGoinRCn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:29 PM   #4823
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio
I'm glad you guys find the car planted. The TC3 could be quite a handful to drive, even on relatively mild motors - true enough! The Yok SD is configured in much the same way though and seems very much easier to drive.

All I'm saying is that if a TC3 was configured like a Barracuda, there's no way it would work - the torque steer situation would be even worse. So why does it work on the Barrcuda? Would the Barracuda be even more perfect if the motor was shifted over to the other side?

Randman: You obviously put serious amounts of horsepower down on the tarmac with your brushless motors, but as a Tech kinda guy you have to admit that it does seem to defy logic doesn't it? I'm not disputing the car's quality or track performance when driven by competent individuals like yourselves. But if there isn't a good reason for putting the motor on the left side, won't you ever wonder how much better it could be if placed on the other side - the same side that all the other manufacturers use, including Tamiya on their EvoIII Surikarn edition? You can't just go changing sides with motors without having sound reasoning behind it - especially when motors are mounted longitudinally in a chassis.

On a lighter note: over here in the UK, brushless is only just starting to happen - bless us!

Actually I'm waiting on my PAL Type A chassis conversion to arrive, and the cells will be moved to the opposite side, so I'll be sure to post how it changes the car's handling..
Old 09-22-2003, 03:38 PM   #4824
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

Well you can get a Cuda with the cells on the other side, Web special and PAL versions but it appears to make no difference at all, torque steer doesn't exist on a well built cuda. I think it's a bit more complicated than just saying the motor wants to turn opposite of what the armature is doing, as there is torque from the drive shaft, then the friction fighting against the torque and so on, it all adds up to quickly confuse most peoples brains.

Horatio- your sig is wrong I think It's Rimmers dad they're talking about I have series 2 on DVD soon to get series 1 too
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:52 PM   #4825
Tech Elite

Well I'm getting worried that as I get closer to my 21st I'm getting senile
I was having a lot of trouble getting grip in my first and second run today and the trim seemed to move from side to side as I went around the track. Getting ready for my third run I noticed some loose screws at the back end of my top deck, then realised all my top deck screws were about 2mm up, I had placed them in ready to be tightened earlier today during a rebuild and then forgot about them I think I have a serious rebuilding mental block
I also rewired my motor that seemed to be wired the wrong way round last week, only to find it was running backwards at the track today. I didn't check the endbell for the positive side when I rewired it today, DOH! so I had it wired correctly last week, there must have been something oddly wrong with it though, it just sort of jerked back a touch then did nothing, this week it ran properly, albiet in reverse Shoved the GM3 in again and with a 23tooth pinion it was a lot more lively this week.
Ended up using new tyres for the last qualifier and the final, new mini pins suck I was driving pretty well and seemed to have speed but I got lapped twice in the qualifier I was 5th on the grid but finished 6th I think. The cars ahead could just take more corner speed and get the power down better as they didn't have long wobbly spikes to drive on, hopefully things will be better by the end of next weeks racing as the pins wear down more.

On a good note, my club bought a load of personal transponders to sell on to club members, the rrp here is 53, we could buy them for 20 needless to say I snapped one up, I've wanted one for a while but was never going to pay 53. No more transponder clips to loose now and now more chasing up people who haven't put the one you want back in the rail.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:58 PM   #4826
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Herminator
On a good note, my club bought a load of personal transponders to sell on to club members, the rrp here is 53, we could buy them for 20 needless to say I snapped one up, I've wanted one for a while but was never going to pay 53. No more transponder clips to loose now and now more chasing up people who haven't put the one you want back in the rail.

That's a great price for personnal transponders...20 is about $33 usd... I can't even get a used one for that price.

Old 09-22-2003, 04:15 PM   #4827
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
Actually I'm waiting on my PAL Type A chassis conversion to arrive, and the cells will be moved to the opposite side, so I'll be sure to post how it changes the car's handling..
??

aren`t your cell all ready on that the same side as the PAL chassis..??

-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:25 PM   #4828
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
??

-Dave
Wee all know Randman is a little odd in the head

even I've not been that backwards recently
Old 09-22-2003, 04:30 PM   #4829
Regional Moderator
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
??

-Dave

lol you are so right there
Ko Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:02 PM   #4830
Tech Elite

RC Zombies:

Your bro might want to check out Als Hobbies - all sorts of stuff in there, not just cars. Apex Models has lots of racing stuff in stock. Kevs Racing Bits is first class for service.

Herminator:

Re: Horatio- your sig is wrong I think It's Rimmers dad they're talking about I have series 2 on DVD soon to get series 1 too

I'm glad someone knows what I was on about Rimmer was the holigram though wasn't he? I thought it was Lister who was miserable and the cat tried 'cheering him up'. Another line was:

Cat: (in best James brown voice) Owwww! I'm hungry!

Uneasy Silence

Rimmer: Lister's dad's dead!!!!

Cat: I'd prefer chicken!?

Last edited by Horatio; 09-22-2003 at 05:16 PM.