R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-18-2003, 10:57 PM   #4726
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

If you haven't noticed, check out our review by Xtreme R/C Magazine at: www.rc411.com

Review from RC Car Action should be out on the Jan. Issue (on sale Nov. 25th)

Steve Wang
Old 09-18-2003, 11:19 PM   #4727
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I have the XTreme mag with the R2 in it, good job of gettin it out there Steve
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 11:24 PM   #4728
Tech Regular

Default Re: clarification of pinion question

Quote:
Originally posted by zgeist

I read somewhere in these forums that one cuda driver used a final ratio of close to 7.02 - which would mean a larger pinion. But someone at a local hobby shop says the cuda should use a smaller pinion than the TC3. So I'm confused. I know the ratios - but how do I know which ratio to use? Is there some scientific way of determining the best pinion to use??? Or, if it's really just trial and error, what pinion size would you guys suggest for a cuda w/ a 72 spur and a 13T motor???
There is no scientific way to figure out what gear ratio to use. Typically, most people use the 3 second rule. If you can't put your finger on the motor for about 3 sec after a 5 minute run, then it's overgeared. Other signs of over gearing are discolored brushes, comm, and hoods. So let's say you are using the same 13T motor and in your TC3 you can run it at 7.83. Then 7.83 is the ratio that that your particular motor likes and you should be able to use the same ratio in the R2 (give or take). My R2's drivetrain is more freer than my TC3 and I can run 1-2 teeth smaller pinion without overheating the motor. You may try using smaller pinion.

Also, I'm sure if you got your cuda new or used. If you got it used, you may want to check the bearings to see if some of them are worn.

Clear as mud?
Headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 11:38 PM   #4729
Tech Prophet

Since SoCal changes the track weekly, I usually have to run a different gear ratio weekly, it's always changing... If you're running modified, you should have a good feel for the car, so just try it with different ratios for the track layout, and see which one gets the best feel and laptimes...
Old 09-19-2003, 12:15 AM   #4730
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech
Hi Guys,

If you haven't noticed, check out our review by Xtreme R/C Magazine at: www.rc411.com

Review from RC Car Action should be out on the Jan. Issue (on sale Nov. 25th)

Steve Wang
....Congrats` ..now to see what R/C Car Action has to say.! ... Hopefully it`s not TC-3 compared to Cuda ...
since there last comparision between the the B4 buggy and the losi buggy ...what ever company has more money to through around gets the better review..
anyways the Cuda has come a long way fron the 1st time you brought it to the states Steve.!!
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 12:19 AM   #4731
Tech Prophet

The car definately has grown fast, it was unheard of for some time, and now it's placing at major events around the globe. If Alex Racing/Alex USA got a team of really good drivers, the car has the potential to be on top.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:23 AM   #4732
Regional Moderator
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
....Congrats` ..now to see what R/C Car Action has to say.! ... Hopefully it`s not TC-3 compared to Cuda ...
since there last comparision between the the B4 buggy and the losi buggy ...what ever company has more money to through around gets the better review..
anyways the Cuda has come a long way fron the 1st time you brought it to the states Steve.!!

Dave i will make sure to send you a copy with a few other items
Ko Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 03:49 AM   #4733
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

Zgeist, if your motor is strugling like that the simple thing to do is go down a pinion or two. As others have said, there is no scientific way of working out what to run, you need to learn by seeing the speed of your car on the track and seeing how hot it is at the end of the run. Some motors are hot at the end of a run but easily touchable for three seconds but they can still be overheating the brushes and causing discolouration. Other motors can come of barely warm but go like stink on the track. You can have two motors of the same make and wind and they can require different ratios within the same car.
You say you have a good ratio for the TC3 and transfered it to the cuda, now you just need to experiment.
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 03:53 AM   #4734
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator
Default Re: Re: Re: New Cuda owner question

Quote:
Originally posted by Shark
Herminator,

So are you using the stock set up (short shocks up front & long at the rear)? any suggestions with this problem?
at the moment I have the stock set up, yes
You mainly only have a problem when you start using the inner couple of shock mounting holes, so stick with the outer ones as much as possible. Then when you can, get some shorter bodies for the rear, something that should be sorted in a few weeks for me
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 07:35 AM   #4735
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ImGoinRCn

Quote:
I don't really pay much attention to what car action does in it's reviews...Like Dave said, whoever spends the most money to them, gets a better rating...IMHO...Also, I don't like the mag...I quit buying it right along with the xtreme one...they ought to stick to the product and leave the other stuff to cosmopoitan...enuff said about it, we have already talked about this a few weeks back.
X Factory R/C SCX-60CF
X Factory R/C X-6
ImGoinRCn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 08:34 AM   #4736
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Tsubasa Sakai
Default Re: JMRCA #5 place Barracuda

Quote:
What is the yellow on top of the servo?Receiver battery pack??
Tsubasa Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 08:46 AM   #4737
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ImGoinRCn
Default Re: Re: JMRCA #5 place Barracuda

Quote:
Originally posted by Tsubasa Sakai
looks like a reciever battery pack...might need all they can get for 8 minutes of racing...
X Factory R/C SCX-60CF
X Factory R/C X-6
ImGoinRCn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 09:06 AM   #4738
Regional Moderator
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: Re: JMRCA #5 place Barracuda

Quote:
Originally posted by Tsubasa Sakai
At first I thought it was a receiver with out the case and shrink wrapped but after looking closer it looks to me as a battery pack for the receiver thats my guess
Ko Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 09:20 AM   #4739
Tech Regular

Default yellow shrink wrap

Anybody have a more close up pic or some more pics on this? I think I can tell what it is...but I need a better pic to verify this. I know they're doing something different.

Jimmy
Jimmy Fukuyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 09:42 AM   #4740
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
If Alex Racing/Alex USA got a team of really good drivers, the car has the potential to be on top.
Trust me, RBF is a very good driver AND has been on top of several large races. Now if only Alex USA can clone two or three more of him... It's very difficult to find drivers with a lot of talent and chassis know-how to lure them onto a team.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote