R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-10-2003, 08:04 PM   #2731
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by NMRCDude
I have never really used Strapping tape that much. Is it a one-time use type of thing? Or can you use the same piece for an entire day?
I've seen Kinwald go a month on the same piece of Blue Tamiya strapping tape

I start with a new piece everyday

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:11 PM   #2732
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by HEYALIGNMENTGUY
Took cuda out to race today did rather well, got better with each heat. Turned a 19 in the first one, did a 20 in the second. 21 in the third

they combined times so I qualified 2nd. They desided to go with a AAA main set up, loads of fun I must say, I came in third after it was done.
A lot of people never even heard of the car, had a lot of looky loo's
Ask me where the could get one, I pointed at my Speed tech T shirt I was wearing "Thanks Steve"

I do have a technical question, seems that the spur gear is taking a beating, even running stock motors.
Is the PAL drive system the best fix or would the aluminum shaft holder?

I run standard 72 spur and 48 pich pinions.

Many thanks are appreciated
Try a Kimbrough, or Robinson Racing machined 70Tspur gear, I get about a month out of those. The smaller 70T size helps to avoid chipping teeth in incidents, as it is out of harms way a bit, I hear some folks in J-Land run 69T for the ultimate punch.

And of course I recommend the aluminum shaft holders.

The PAL system works great too, and you can run 64p with it if thats important to you.

Sounds like you really had fun...cool

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:16 PM   #2733
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HEYALIGNMENTGUY Send a message via Yahoo to HEYALIGNMENTGUY

Quote:
Originally posted by RedBullFiXX
Try a Kimbrough, or Robinson Racing machined 70Tspur gear, I get about a month out of those. The smaller 70T size helps to avoid chipping teeth in incidents, as it is out of harms way a bit, I hear some folks in J-Land run 69T for the ultimate punch.

And of course I recommend the aluminum shaft holders.

The PAL system works great too, and you can run 64p with it if thats important to you.

Sounds like you really had fun...cool
I have the Kimbrough, maybe I will try smaller.

Yea I had fun, You know when you get togeather with your buds and just talk smack back and forth on the driverstand as you love tap someone to let them know you are there. This is why I race, not for money or trophy's. Just plain FUN
HEYALIGNMENTGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:24 PM   #2734
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

The robinson machined TC3 gears are the bomb
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:52 PM   #2735
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

If you're racing stock I'd get the alloy shaft holders like RBF said, they work an awful lot better than the plastic kit items, they really should come as standard.

I've been using Kimbrough spurs until now and they are very good, last one lasted for about 8 race meetings, I finaly replaced it since it was just looking rough all over, no really bad teeth though, before that spurs weren't lasting nearly as long because I didn't have alloy holders front and rear. I just got a couple new spurs and they are Robinson Racing ones, they looks very good too, posibly slightly better than Kimbrough, mainly because you can use four screws to mount them, lessening the chances of warping, and they should be a little lighter since they have more material removed. There is a big downer to them though for me, they cost a fortune 6 for one spur is just silly, Kimbrough ones are a little over 4, I think I'll have to find a different source for them if I want any more. I should be trying some different spurs in a few weeks, I hope, they will be light, precision machined and fairly unique

Racing night tomorrow, we seem to have found a good track layout and are sticking to it so it's good to be able to tune the car more each week for the one layout. I'm finding that further out shock poisitions seem to work well, like RBF's no sway bar setup for Socal, moving the front top links out one for this week, to try and get the front to turn in better at high speed, my high speed servo would help that if I could use it but I'm still stuck with an el cheapo thing
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 09:03 PM   #2736
Tech Prophet

Herm - The high speed servo is a must, why arent you running one?
Old 08-10-2003, 09:23 PM   #2737
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
Herm - The high speed servo is a must, why arent you running one?
My good servo has a messed up spindle, I ordered a set of replacement gears for it but the stupid model shop sent me the plastic gears instead of the metal ones. They don't usualy keep the metal ones in stock so they have ordered them and should arrive this week, I sure hope so. Last week I was boring a servo after I'd replaced mine with one that is sort of middle range but forgot it has messed up gears inside causing the trim to move every lap, I actually took apart the servo today and can't see anything wrong with the gears, unless it one I can't see on the spindle section.
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 09:25 PM   #2738
Tech Prophet

Hope you get your gears in soon, I feel bad for you having to use a standard servo
Old 08-10-2003, 10:00 PM   #2739
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to NMRCDude

Yeah, using a standard "race" servo is a nightmare!
NMRCDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 10:04 PM   #2740
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HEYALIGNMENTGUY Send a message via Yahoo to HEYALIGNMENTGUY

Quote:
Originally posted by Herminator
If you're racing stock I'd get the alloy shaft holders like RBF said, they work an awful lot better than the plastic kit items, they really should come as standard.

I've been using Kimbrough spurs until now and they are very good, last one lasted for about 8 race meetings, I finaly replaced it since it was just looking rough all over, no really bad teeth though, before that spurs weren't lasting nearly as long because I didn't have alloy holders front and rear. I just got a couple new spurs and they are Robinson Racing ones, they looks very good too, posibly slightly better than Kimbrough, mainly because you can use four screws to mount them, lessening the chances of warping, and they should be a little lighter since they have more material removed. There is a big downer to them though for me, they cost a fortune 6 for one spur is just silly, Kimbrough ones are a little over 4, I think I'll have to find a different source for them if I want any more. I should be trying some different spurs in a few weeks, I hope, they will be light, precision machined and fairly unique

Racing night tomorrow, we seem to have found a good track layout and are sticking to it so it's good to be able to tune the car more each week for the one layout. I'm finding that further out shock poisitions seem to work well, like RBF's no sway bar setup for Socal, moving the front top links out one for this week, to try and get the front to turn in better at high speed, my high speed servo would help that if I could use it but I'm still stuck with an el cheapo thing
I will be giving steve a call tomorrow morning........I hope he wakes up early

Herm.. am I reading that right 6 pounds for a spur, thats like $12 US
Too bad shipping from US to England is a fortune.

Good luck with, your race Oh yea I used RBF no swaybar set up.................NICE
Old 08-10-2003, 10:14 PM   #2741
Tech Prophet

Steve opens shop at 11, I havent been able to get through that early tho, usually 11:15 or so.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:16 PM   #2742
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to NMRCDude

NO no no, not $12 for a spur.

1.00 GBP United Kingdom Pounds = 1.60155 USD United States Dollars

So around $9.6

Still expensive!
NMRCDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 10:20 PM   #2743
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
Steve opens shop at 11, I havent been able to get through that early tho, usually 11:15 or so.
If I had his home # I would call him Right NOW

I usualy call him when I take lunch
Old 08-10-2003, 10:22 PM   #2744
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by NMRCDude
NO no no, not $12 for a spur.

1.00 GBP United Kingdom Pounds = 1.60155 USD United States Dollars

So around $9.6

Still expensive!
I am not that good a converting currency But you are right 9.6 is still pricey
Old 08-10-2003, 10:22 PM   #2745
Tech Prophet